What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bennetts Knights in 2012

Matchball

Bench
This is the most ridiculous thing I've read in a while. Snowden is coming back because he never wanted to leave in the first place, Tahu is coming back on minimum wage, and Boyd, well that's all Bennett too.

And like someone else said, Bennett employed that style at the Dragons because the players he had at his disposal suited that style. His Broncos team played a completely different style. Who knows what he'll do with the Knights.

As a Newcastle supporter I'd happily swap our flamboyance for some results.

Well up until the time comes, it's all speculation.
Best of luck, you got the cash and coach to make it happen.

Hooch

Juniors
As mentioned earlier, Bennet lost a lot of credibility amongst his squad when he announced he was leaving. Dragons are done for the year.

I'm looking forward to seeing how Sowie goes next year. I think it will be rough without Uncy Wayne pumping him up.

Ronnie Dobbs

Coach
This is the most ridiculous thing I've read in a while. Snowden is coming back because he never wanted to leave in the first place, Tahu is coming back on minimum wage, and Boyd, well that's all Bennett too.

And like someone else said, Bennett employed that style at the Dragons because the players he had at his disposal suited that style. His Broncos team played a completely different style. Who knows what he'll do with the Knights.

As a Newcastle supporter I'd happily swap our flamboyance for some results.

This is exactly what we were saying three years ago too.

Ronnie Dobbs

Coach
The Knights will make the finals next year and the Dragons wont.

Goes in cycles BD, but I'd be happy to take your cash on the Dragons not making the 8 thing.

Having said that, it will be a rebuilding year and I don't expect us to challenge for the title. Soward has been rank for ages now and its wearing thin. We have Kyle Stanley ready to go and I'd be looking to build the team around him, Moltzen, Cam King and Mitch Rein for the future. We've recruited well, but hey, this is all next year. Lets discuss it then.

jonno_knights

Juniors
I think the difference between the Knights now, and a top 4 spot is consistency. Not only playing for the full 80, but getting that consistency out of Mullen. He is one of the most gifted halves in the comp on his day. He has all the tools, but just lacks the mental state to control games of football on a consistent basis.

His long kicking game is top 3 in the comp without a doubt. On his day he can control games on kicking alone, but apart from the first 2 games this year, and a few games here and there we havent seen it too much. He defence this year has also been Soward-esque, however Im not sure how much of that comes down to playing with a dodgy pec/shoulder.

Our backline will be top-5 in the NRL on paper. Uate and McManus would have to be one of the most hard working winger combinations in the game. McManus doesnt have the flash of Uate, but he holds nothing back in his runs, and is a good finisher. Out of Naiqama, Tahu and Sau we should also have a competitive centre pairing. And there arent too many Fullbacks as good as Boyd.

Our defense has been very physical this season, something the knights havent had in many, many years. It has the tendency to get a little soft around the ruck during the second half though, but with a fully fit Hilder it is much better. The go forward from the props has been much improved too after a dissappointing 2010.

The biggest question mark though is who is going to play Hooker? especially if Buderus' transfer doesnt get sorted. Hilder is just a stop gap hooker, and Gidley has shown he has the tools, but Im not sure his body will handle 40+ tackles a game week in, week out, especially with the way he plays the game.

RHCP

Bench
I'm not willing to guarantee a top four berth. That is not a given. Wayne Bennett is a good coach yes, but I'm not content just to lean back and expect that we're entitled to a top four finish next season and a premiership in the next four. That's just setting ourselves up for dissapointment. Do I think it's possible? Absolutely. But I'm not going to work myself up before a ball has even been kicked under the Bennett regime.

I think we'll finish 5th or 6th. It won't all come together over one off season. We might crack the top four but like johno said there's still a lot of question marks over our side for next season.

Re: Mullen...this doesn't bode well. There's even more pressure on him to deliver a premiership now. Hopefully he ends up like Soward.

HowHigh

Coach
A lot will depend on what he can get out of Mullen. I'd say top 4 next year, grand final in the 2nd or 3rd season..whether they will win or not I don't know.

Dragons should still make the 8 next season, usually 7th and 8th spot only require around a 50% win ratio sometimes less..we still have the team to achieve that at least I believe

Cliffhanger

Coach
I'm not willing to guarantee a top four berth. That is not a given. Wayne Bennett is a good coach yes, but I'm not content just to lean back and expect that we're entitled to a top four finish next season and a premiership in the next four. That's just setting ourselves up for dissapointment. Do I think it's possible? Absolutely. But I'm not going to work myself up before a ball has even been kicked under the Bennett regime.

I think we'll finish 5th or 6th. It won't all come together over one off season. We might crack the top four but like johno said there's still a lot of question marks over our side for next season.

Re: Mullen...this doesn't bode well. There's even more pressure on him to deliver a premiership now. Hopefully he ends up like Soward.

Like Soward?

Mullen should end up better than him because Mullen isn't a coward in defence or attack.

Loudstrat

Coach
I'd say 1 Darius Boyd. Maybe 2 if you count Costigan, and a bloody big secret was kept for 12 months.

I think Soward will go OK next year. he and Hornby work well together, he still has his blinding speed and kicking game. I'm not sold on his attitude though. Yelling at the ref before the dropout at the end of the game was not a sign of a mature player with a winners head.

Hooch

Juniors
He has a terrible attitude. He has no idea of what sort of player he is. Thinks he is a gun but he's soft as rotted fruit. It will be interesting to see how he responds next year as I doubt Price will be giving him kisses and cuddles.