What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Berrigan's role next year

Dazzat

First Grade
We shouldn't take Shaun Berrigan's role in Queensland's great performances in recent times for granted.

What a luxury to have such a quality player like him on the bench ... someone who can fill so many roles on the field from centre, 5/8, half, lock or hooker. He's even played secondrow.

He's gone next year ... who'll step into the breach, keeping in mind that Cameron Smith can play 80 minutes with ease, can fill in at halfback and sledge Buderus so effectively?

langpark

First Grade
I reckon it'll be Bowen. But I reckon if Ash Harrison can return to form he'd be perfect as he can play in the backs and forwards, which is also a luxury. Other possibilities could be:
Rogers
Stagg
Carroll

Chewie

Juniors
I'd like to see burns there. It'd be good to blood him for when lockyer retires. Otherwise maybe gav cooper or stagg.

lockyno1

Post Whore
Chewie said:
I'd like to see burns there. It'd be good to blood him for when lockyer retires. .

Um we have Prince, Cronk and a few other halves that can play 6 anyway..why do we need Burns at 6!

lockyno1

Post Whore
Chewie said:

He is a good utility, could potentially play in the backrow as well if needed. Other option would be PJ Marsh. I don't see Bowen as a utility bench player- I see him as a fullback and that probally won't happen until Hunt permanantly moves into the halves. Bowen will probally be on the bench but he won't be the utility I would imagine. It will be bowen OR another backrower imo. Payne and PJ Marsh will go for the utility and I favour Payne due to his age and combo with Thurston.

Charlie124

First Grade
lockyno1 said:
He is a good utility, could potentially play in the backrow as well if needed. Other option would be PJ Marsh. I don't see Bowen as a utility bench player- I see him as a fullback and that probally won't happen until Hunt permanantly moves into the halves. Bowen will probally be on the bench but he won't be the utility I would imagine. It will be bowen OR another backrower imo. Payne and PJ Marsh will go for the utility and I favour Payne due to his age and combo with Thurston.

It disgusts me to admit it but i think i completely agree with you on most of this.

My pick is that Bowen will, or Payne (or both).

Stagg should never ever ever ever be allowed to play origin again, no exceptions.

Dazzat

First Grade
Charlie124 said:
Stagg should never ever ever ever be allowed to play origin again, no exceptions.

Why so? Because he was in a losing team? Very harsh.

From memory Stagg was picked in Game One last year in a backrow which included Johnson and someone else - none of whom were renowned ball runners. It obviously didn't work.

If Johnson was injured, however, I'd be looking seriously at Stagg as the 'workhorse defender'. The type of player every team needs, but the type of player who may not get the wraps.

I am in favour of Webb getting picked, but if he doesn't deliver in the next game, he will be seriously close to losing his place. He hasn't delivered in winning teams ... and still living on past glories.

Dazzat

First Grade
I think Burns and Marsh and best candidates for Berrigan's utility role. Both very similar types of players.

lockyno1

Post Whore
Burns is NOT similar to Marsh...Burns is a ok 5/8 but since when do we select "ok" players in origin. You want utility value. Payne is similar to PJ Marsh and those 2 will go for the utility spot.

lockyno1

Post Whore
Dazzat said:
Why so? Because he was in a losing team? Very harsh.

From memory Stagg was picked in Game One last year in a backrow which included Johnson and someone else - none of whom were renowned ball runners. It obviously didn't work.

If Johnson was injured, however, I'd be looking seriously at Stagg as the 'workhorse defender'. The type of player every team needs, but the type of player who may not get the wraps.

I am in favour of Webb getting picked, but if he doesn't deliver in the next game, he will be seriously close to losing his place. He hasn't delivered in winning teams ... and still living on past glories.

If Johnson was injured I would pick a few players before Stagg...stagg is stuggling to be a starter for the broncos you know!

Shorty

Staff member
I agree locky,I think Aaron Payne would be perfect for the role.

lockyno1

Post Whore
Agreed, look I am guessing a lot of people do not watch Aaron Payne becuase let me tell you if Berrigan was injured i'd have no problem with Payne on the bench!

Dutchy

Immortal
As a NSW fan I would be more worried seeing Travis on the bench than Payne or Marsh, Burns can play 6,7,9...bulk him up a bit a ball playing lock or a dynamic attacking centre.

might add...good attacking centre with already solid defensive technique

lockyno1

Post Whore
ROFL..we do not need a extra half- we have Inglis who can cover 6 as it is..we need a bloke who can play 9 and cover halves and possibly backrow at a pinch. Travis is just a solid defensive no6- who may get the 5/8 spot when Lockyer retires but he is well away from getting a spot next season. Absolutely no chance.

Dutchy

Immortal
Burns can play 6,7,9 as i said above, He has also played some lock off the bench

lockyno1

Post Whore
He is a ordinary 9. I would rather a DYNAMIC dummy half/utility off the bench. Payne/Marsh are better options in that role. I rate Burns as a "Origin Type" player but I would say he'd wait until Lockyer retires to get the no6 jersey.

skeepe

Immortal
I'm going to throw the name William Zillman out there. He has good size, can play fullback, wing, centres, halves, hooker and probably lock at a pinch, and has plenty of talent.

Mr Saab

Referee
Wow, all those positions??????
I dont think so.
Jason Croker he aint...he is a fullback/winger.
Lock? He would get snapped.