What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Berrigan's role next year

lockyno1

Post Whore
Zillman..um how about no. If we want a spare fullback we have Bowen who is a much better choice at this stage. Zillman is a fullback only. He may be able to play halves in PL but he hasn't in first grade and would be a stupid choice.

Chewie

Juniors
My problem with payne is that his defence is piss weak. I don't think we need a hooker on the bench. The reason berrigan works is that he can cover for injuries in the backline but if there are none, can simply slot into the backrow. Therefore one of the bench is not wasted. I feel that burns could fill this role similarly. Is big enough and has good enough defence for lock but can also fill cover injuries in the backline. I think that Gavin Cooper would be another candidate. Can play centre and the rest of the backline is so versatile that an injury anywhere in said backline could be covered easily. If there isn't an injury, he could easily play in the backrow.

lockyno1

Post Whore
Burns is not good enough at this stage. And he is a 5/8 thats it. He he may have played a few positions on occasions but if we are going to have bowen he can cover backline positions anyway, so I would like a dynamic no 9 who could play backrow as the other bench position. Payne's defence is not that bad if you bothered to watch him closely!

Charlie124

First Grade
lockyno1 said:
He is a ordinary 9. I would rather a DYNAMIC dummy half/utility off the bench. Payne/Marsh are better options in that role. I rate Burns as a "Origin Type" player but I would say he'd wait until Lockyer retires to get the no6 jersey.

This is ridiculous. Twice in the same thread i agree with you, whats the world coming to.

Burns is at least 2 years away from origin, and if/when he makes it, he shouldnt be on the bench. Fulltime #6 or nothing. Payne should be our backup utility bench player for the future.

DeeJ

Bench
I think we should face the fact that a player of Berrigan's versatility doesn't come around too often. QLD will have a different gameplan next year to accomodate different players.

dragonfire

Bench
Chewie said:
I'd like to see burns there. It'd be good to blood him for when lockyer retires. Otherwise maybe gav cooper or stagg.

Thurston slips into 5/8th and either Prince/Cronk into the number 7 jersey. I would hazard a guess that it will br Bowen who comes in though Stagg would be a good utility to have

Chewie

Juniors
dragonfire said:
Thurston slips into 5/8th and either Prince/Cronk into the number 7 jersey. I would hazard a guess that it will br Bowen who comes in though Stagg would be a good utility to have
I'd hope not really. The cam smith thurston combo works very well as half hooker. I'd want a five eighth to come in rather than a halfback and restructure the entire team.

Chewie

Juniors
lockyno1 said:
Burns is not good enough at this stage. And he is a 5/8 thats it. He he may have played a few positions on occasions but if we are going to have bowen he can cover backline positions anyway, so I would like a dynamic no 9 who could play backrow as the other bench position. Payne's defence is not that bad if you bothered to watch him closely!
This notion of a 'dynamic' number nine perplexes me. Why do we specifically want a hooker when cam smith has played 80 minutes in 4 of the last 5 origins. I honestly do not get it. What we want is a player that can come on and fill in in the backline and can also play in the backrow and tackle well. I believe a player like burns would do well in this role. And as for payne, i've watched plenty of his games being a cows fan and he has poor defence. He's great in attack and i wouldn't be that worried if smtih was injured and he came in but he's not fit for the role at hand.

Dazzat

First Grade
DeeJ said:
I think we should face the fact that a player of Berrigan's versatility doesn't come around too often. QLD will have a different gameplan next year to accomodate different players.

Exactly.

lockyno1

Post Whore
Charlie124 said:
This is ridiculous. Twice in the same thread i agree with you, whats the world coming to.

Burns is at least 2 years away from origin, and if/when he makes it, he shouldnt be on the bench. Fulltime #6 or nothing. Payne should be our backup utility bench player for the future.

Spot on!

lockyno1

Post Whore
Slater would be a better option than Burns, i'll grant you that. I would still rather a hooker/utility though. Bowen will have a spot already on the bench probally.

Frank_Grimes

First Grade
lockyno1 said:
He is a ordinary 9. I would rather a DYNAMIC dummy half/utility off the bench. Payne/Marsh are better options in that role. I rate Burns as a "Origin Type" player but I would say he'd wait until Lockyer retires to get the no6 jersey.

If Inglis can prove himself at 5/8 this year and next, Burns won't even get a sniff of the QLD No 6 Jersey when Lockyer retires.

Dazzat

First Grade
I'm starting to become a 'believer' in Inglis at 5/8. Mind you, I'm a believer in Inglis at fullback, centre and wing as well.

lockyno1

Post Whore
Frank_Grimes said:
If Inglis can prove himself at 5/8 this year and next, Burns won't even get a sniff of the QLD No 6 Jersey when Lockyer retires.

I would much rather Burns at 5/8 when Lockyer retires and Inglis in the centres. Bell will be close to calling it quits around the same time as Lockyer and I believe Burns is a much better defender at 5/8. Inglis is at his best as a ball runner!

Dazzat

First Grade
Inglis' talent is at such a level that he can play virtually anywhere. Remember, he's probably going to get even bigger over the next few years.

Compare his skills and those of SBW for example. Offloading and trackling and pretty much the same.

It's a luxury to have a player who can be positioned to suit the needs of the team. Inglis could play anywhere for the Storm, but he's playing where he's needed.