What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bert is on Struggle Street

Craig Johnston

First Grade
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...r/story-e6frexnr-1225869991878?from=public_js

Bert Kenny's gone broke

By Peter Badel From: The Sunday Telegraph May 22, 2010 11:50PM

BRETT Kenny knows if he doesn't laugh, he would probably cry.

"There's a lot of former players like me," the Parramatta legend says.

"We're just working, trying to get by week by week. I'm watching my money. I'm no multi. But, hey, I had a big win at the races the other week."

As he put NSW Cup side Wentworthville through their paces last Thursday night at Parramatta Stadium, it is impossibly hard to imagine Brett Kenny has become the rugby league legend residing on Struggle Street.

While Jarryd Hayne pockets $500,000 a season for unfurling the type of magic Kenny weaved before him, the man known as Bert watches every last penny.

Two months ago, he moved back in with his elderly parents. At 49, he is earning $30,000 a year coaching a park football side. Once the tax man takes his lot, Kenny is left to survive on about $2210 a month.

After 265 first-grade games, 17 Origin matches, 17 Tests and four premierships, he is set to cut the cord with rugby league forever.

The tragedy is Kenny cannot imagine his life without rugby league.

His immediate dream is to secure a coaching gig in the NRL. The father of three has given himself two years to make the big time, or he will find himself at Centrelink. "Things haven't worked out financially, there's been a bit of stress, and it all starts to fall apart," Kenny says.

"I've moved back in with my parents just recently. I'm not too bad. I guess you could say I'm getting by, but I'd like to be sitting more comfortably.

"I've only got a 12-month contract with Wentworthville. The pay is pretty ordinary. It's not enough to live on.

"It would be nice to have a better paying job, but it's very difficult to even get some casual work because I'm getting paid a part-time wage for working full-time hours.

"I've set myself a time limit to coach at the highest level. I'll give it two years, then I'll walk away from rugby league and I won't worry about it any more. I'll do something else. There's no point flogging a dead horse and waiting for next year. I can't keep living like this."

Kenny, who with scrumbase cohort Peter Sterling masterminded the most successful era in Parramatta's 63-year history, knows what you're thinking.

How can one of the game's greatest players possibly be reduced to earning as much as an apprentice mechanic?

Where is the flash car, the luxury boat, the opulent home, the investment properties, the bulging bank account?

The answer, Kenny concedes, is difficult to find.

It is trapped somewhere between a marriage breakdown that forced him to sell the family home, the less lucrative, semi-professional pay days of the 1980s and his own inability to parlay his footballing success into a post-retirement comfort.

Kenny's biggest contract arrived in the early 1990s, just before he quit in 1993. It was worth $150,000 a season, almost five times the then average wage of $32,600. "But I was getting taxed 50 cents in the dollar, and every year I found myself paying more tax," he says. "Being paid just twice a year didn't help."

When he hung up the boots, he never settled in the workforce and struggled to cash in on his fame.

He drove a truck for Berri Juice. He dabbled in commentary. He worked on building sites. Invariably, Kenny found his way back to rugby league, coaching Penrith's Jersey Flegg side to the 2006 premiership before being sacked.

"I've done all sorts of things," he says. "I remember one day a delivery driver came to deliver something, he was outside my place for a while and finally he came to the door.

"My wife went to the door and he said, 'Oh, is this where Brett Kenny lives, I'd thought he'd be in a bigger place than this'.

"I felt like saying, 'Yeah, I've got three other houses, I'm renting them out'. He expected me to be living in the Taj Mahal."

Kenny says he isn't jealous of today's stars. "No, I'm not," he says. "Jarryd Hayne is making $500,000, but good luck to them.

you do feel for the legend. 30k for wenty's ft gig? that's ridiculous.

a timely reminder why the new revenue stream MUST take into account a footy player's life after football. not all for big mouth money earners like thurston folau and co

Stagger eel

Staff member
uuumm!! i don't know what to make of this story..

I love Bert to death but I can't help feeling that he was given a free ticket to the Wenty job...

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Not great money but i know people who are doing it tougher, 150k per year in the early 90's is damn good coin. I'd love to be on that sort of money now.

Gronk

Staff member
If he was earning 5 times the average man and now has to live with his olds, then he's managed things pretty poorely. He won't be getting any sympathy from the punters who work 2 or 3 jobs to support their families.

Rogue.9

Juniors
Kenny was a champion player & I respect everything he done for the club but he sounds like a whinger. The fact that he says if doesn’t get a NRL coaching gig he will go to centrelink pisses me off, if doesn't get a coaching gig then perhaps he could at least try getting a full time job to support his family. It's been 17 years since he retired from playing; I think its time to give up the dream of a full time NRL coaching job

Last edited:

spiderdan

Bench
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...r/story-e6frexnr-1225869991878?from=public_js

you do feel for the legend. 30k for wenty's ft gig? that's ridiculous.

a timely reminder why the new revenue stream MUST take into account a footy player's life after football. not all for big mouth money earners like thurston folau and co
I don't think the revenue stream should take post career times into account. At the end of the day players make the choice to play and make money from it. They can always choose to do real work like the rest of us.

That said I do think that players should be getting educated from a young age about life after football (similar to what our club does with players) so it is less likely they will end up washed up when their playing days are over. Great example, Nathan cayless getting himself ready for a career in real estate for the last few years.

murraymob

Coach
Hard to feel sorry for him.He would have been on good money.Not the sort current players are on but remember it was the 80s.I know players who earned way less than him that at least bought there house out of footy earnings.
Wasnt he a builder or carpenter.Players must plan for life after football clearly he did not

Stagger eel

Staff member
Hard to feel sorry for him.He would have been on good money.Not the sort current players are on but remember it was the 80s.I know players who earned way less than him that at least bought there house out of footy earnings.
Wasnt he a builder or carpenter.Players must plan for life after football clearly he did not

try laborer...

eels81236

Bench
From all reports, he is already as close as he will ever become to being an NRL coach. I'm told that the level he is at now is somewhat above him.

Eels Fanatic

Juniors
Unfortunately for Brett he is 49 has laboured most of his life (work that is), coupled with a high profile career in the era of bash em up rugby league.

All he knows is footy and I don't think his 49 year old body is still suited to labour type work considering a 20 year olds body would out do his 3 to 1.

Very unfortunate but hopefully he gets himself sorted out with some education to help with his job prospects and a money manager who won't rip him off.

I think some people are being a little harsh in their comments, without knowing the full story.

I feel for anyone that has gone through a marriage break-up.

For Brett's sake, I hope things work out.

He brought many a happy day to my life & is one of my childhood heroes. The Kenny swerve to score the try against the Jets in the '81 GF remains one of my all time favourite tries.

Stagger eel

Staff member
Unfortunately for Brett he is 49 has laboured most of his life (work that is), coupled with a high profile career in the era of bash em up rugby league.

All he knows is footy and I don't think his 49 year old body is still suited to labour type work considering a 20 year olds body would out do his 3 to 1.

Very unfortunate but hopefully he gets himself sorted out with some education to help with his job prospects and a money manager who won't rip him off.

mate you couldn't have a better friend to help you get back on track than Roy Spagnollo, this is why the story is puzzling me a little..

big boppa eel

Juniors
I think some people are being a little harsh in their comments, without knowing the full story.

I feel for anyone that has gone through a marriage break-up.

For Brett's sake, I hope things work out.

He brought many a happy day to my life & is one of my childhood heroes. The Kenny swerve to score the try against the Jets in the '81 GF remains one of my all time favourite tries.
Agreed.

yy_cheng

Coach
On 5 x average earnings, he could've put some of that to investment properties and take advantage of the negative gearing. They would be worth heaps now.

Haynzy

First Grade
Kenny was a champion player & I respect everything he done for the club but he sounds like a whinger. The fact that he says if doesn’t get a NRL coaching gig he will go to centrelink pisses me off, if doesn't get a coaching gig then perhaps he could at least try getting a full time job to support his family. It's been 17 years since he retired from playing; I think its time to give up the dream of a full time NRL coaching job

It wasn't Bert mentioning centerlink..... Bloody papers taking liberties to make a story.
The whole article sounds like a conversation taken out of context to me.

Latest posts