What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best and worst commentator?

SBD82

Coach
Lot of love for Sterling in here. I used to enjoy him, but in the last 10 or so years I’ve found him really irritating with the way that he fixates on average players, and absolutely froths over every little thing that they do. Josh Jackson is the prime example that springs to mind, but there are others too.

Belta

Juniors
Cant stomach Blocker or Gould. To me I think both are anti Dragons though many disagree. There’s something about Sterlo that I can bear but don’t reckon he is a great commentator. Don’t mind Ray Warren. Don’t mind certain commentary from Johns and the odd comical moments of Fittler.

Spazer

Juniors
Blocker often says dumb things and doesn't know the rules of the game. I also can't stand Wally "go you good thing" Lewis, especially during origin/broncos games. I like Ennis, he can be logical and point out weaknesses/strengths in the teams playing and can also hype up big moments. Vossy keeps it entertaining as well.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Best: Vossy. Knows how to add excitement where needed & knows the players.

Essentially your professional commentator. His whole career has been based around his voice.

Not sure why they insist on using former players as commentators.

Most of them have a good face for radio, and an even better voice for print media.

Which brings me into my least favourite - Roach.

He’s a perfect example of why we have the HIA rule nowadays.

Saw a pop up on Fox yesterday when he was talking, saying “Steve Roach, 13 origins”.

I mean, that’s great and all, but how in the name of Ravalawa’s beard does that qualify him to talk about the game these days?

The best commentators on anything tend to be those who don’t have skin in the game - they can be impartial, critical, but most of all can be employed based on the skills for the role rather than experience on field.

You don’t need to have played the game to know the game.

An example is Matt Preston, easily the best judge on Masterchef, and he isn’t even a chef.

Anyway, best you re-read this post using Ray Warren’s voice for best effect.

SBD82

Coach
Listened to the Sharks Cowboys game on ABC tonight.

First time I’ve been highly critical of the ABC grandstand team. They’re usually great. Gibbs was absolutely terrible. His colour commentary was just arrogantly contradicting the main caller. Even when Gibbs was completely wrong.

Reminded me of an old drunk at the pub who doesnt know the rules, but won’t shut up for the entire game.

RedVDave

First Grade
I like Andrew Voss and Peter Sterling you wouldn't guess he used to play for Parramatta because he is so unbiased.

I pretty much dislike all the others but namely: Blocker (bias and makes countless dumb comments) Gasnier (bland and adds nothing, thankfully he's gone) Anasta (much like his playing days he's on to much money and adds absolutely nothing) Bailey (bias)

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
I like Rabbits Warren and Vossy......cant stand Alexander and Smith so anti Dragons particularly when theres an iffy bunker call...,Anasta is a pain in the arse....shes not really a commentator and I didnt mind her years ago but Yvonne Samson annoys the crap out of me now....unlike the other females on the footy shows whom I dont mind, she wants to be one of the boys

Gareth67

First Grade
My vote is for Ray Warren also . I believe that he is one of the better league commentators , what he does not know isn’t worth knowing.

Feel sorry at times for Gus Gould when after saying something that he considers informative , then ole Wabbits replies with a cutting comment to the human football to put him in his place. :relaxed:

SaintPeter

Juniors
Cant stand a single second of Andrew Voss.
Switch him off straight away.
Rabs is the quintessential caller, always has been.

Coffs dragon

Bench
Of the old retired commentators of the past, I use to really enjoy listening to Peter Wilkins & The Wok (Warren Ryan) on ABC Radio.
Wilco could really call a game well and when a team scored his catch cry....TRRRYYY!

Wok always called Trent Barrett a crab, cause he ran sideways in club games for the Dragons.

thebigredv

First Grade
Best: Vossy. Knows how to add excitement where needed & knows the players.

Essentially your professional commentator. His whole career has been based around his voice.

Not sure why they insist on using former players as commentators.

Most of them have a good face for radio, and an even better voice for print media.

Which brings me into my least favourite - Roach.

He’s a perfect example of why we have the HIA rule nowadays.

Saw a pop up on Fox yesterday when he was talking, saying “Steve Roach, 13 origins”.

I mean, that’s great and all, but how in the name of Ravalawa’s beard does that qualify him to talk about the game these days?

The best commentators on anything tend to be those who don’t have skin in the game - they can be impartial, critical, but most of all can be employed based on the skills for the role rather than experience on field.

You don’t need to have played the game to know the game.

An example is Matt Preston, easily the best judge on Masterchef, and he isn’t even a chef.

Anyway, best you re-read this post using Ray Warren’s voice for best effect.

If I re read in Rab's voice am I also meant to get every second name wrong as he does these days?

Voss and Morrow my favs. And agreed, can't stand Roach.

Batman251

Juniors
Rabbits Warren is a senile wanker, waffles far too much And gets too many things wrong. I turn the sound off now on games he “comments on”. Should have retired and F off years ago.

gitano

Juniors
Warren Smith was good a few years back with his colour:
"Got a rooooom service bounce!"
"Dancing like Baryshnikov!"
The game needs a bit of that in my opinion.

Andy Raymond was a tough listen, but I admired how he'd try to hype up the most meaningless games like they were a heavyweight title bout.

It could be Cowboys v Souffs (14th v 16th) from Townsville on the delayed 9.30pm timeslot and he'd be excited.

Kevin Walters stands alone as the worst commentator I've ever heard. And I watch a lot of weird sports on the Ocho.

Mjab

Juniors
Warren Smith was good a few years back with his colour:
"Got a rooooom service bounce!"
"Dancing like Baryshnikov!"
The game needs a bit of that in my opinion.

Andy Raymond was a tough listen, but I admired how he'd try to hype up the most meaningless games like they were a heavyweight title bout.

It could be Cowboys v Souffs (14th v 16th) from Townsville on the delayed 9.30pm timeslot and he'd be excited.

Kevin Walters stands alone as the worst commentator I've ever heard. And I watch a lot of weird sports on the Ocho.

whenever I hear Walters speak I know why he’s never been given a proper job

SBD82

Coach
Of the old retired commentators of the past, I use to really enjoy listening to Peter Wilkins & The Wok (Warren Ryan) on ABC Radio.
Wilco could really call a game well and when a team scored his catch cry....TRRRYYY!

Wok always called Trent Barrett a crab, cause he ran sideways in club games for the Dragons.
Ryan and Wilkins were one of the all time great duos imo. Great balance between them.