What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best Clive Churchill Performances

Valheru

Coach
DCE in 2013 and Simple Jack in 2019 anyone?

A lot of people reckon Luke Phillips should have received it in 2000.

I've already mentioned this.

When media darlings like JT get it for just showing up, the least they could do is give it to someone from the winning team.

2013 in particular, the roosters won the last 25 minutes 18-0. How on earth you find a winner from the losing team in that situation is beyond me.

soc123_au

Staff member
The CCM is mostly a popularity contest.

One of the few that couldn't be argued is Priddis in 03. At the time I thought they would give it to Gower as compensation for the Dally M, or Sattler for "that tackle" But they got it right. It wasn't until I watched a replay that I realised how great Priddis was in that game. Too much nervous energy live to appreciate it for me.

On the more controversial ones, Fifita in 16 was best on ground, but Lewis was also immense, I was really pleased for him. The play where he was stopped centimetres from the line and he had the mental strength not to promote the ball was the play of the game for me. iirc they scored very soon after that.

2015 was actually one where a player from the beaten side would have been a worthy winner, but from the winning side Morgan was far better than JT.

I don't see Cleary as controversial. You could easily make an argument for Yeo, To'o, Edwards and Crichton, but it all goes back to one of the best examples of kicking a team to death you will ever see. The kicking was well supported by very committed defence and line speed, but Nathan has even just an above average game with the boot and Souths probably win that game.

Last edited:

10$ Ferret

Staff member
Priddis all the way for 2003. Without him they don't even get there.
Stuff Sattler and that tackle, absolute media BS. The guy who ankle tapped Byrne deserves all the credit for that tackle. He doesn't do that Sattler gets no where near him.

Fitzy I think deserved it over Fittler, maybe because I didn't think he stood up near enough in any of those 3 GFs.

Burgess, yes he played well, but he was always going to get it just like Souths were always going to win regardless of how either team played. Burgess did not deserve it as he should have been suspended due to the hit on SBW the week before, but hey no Burgess really got suspended or basically penalised until souths got that premiership.

DCE in 2013 was an absolute joke as well, even being from the losing team, he was not Manly's best, Foran was

Priddis all the way for 2003. Without him they don't even get there.
Stuff Sattler and that tackle, absolute media BS. The guy who ankle tapped Byrne deserves all the credit for that tackle. He doesn't do that Sattler gets no where near him.

Fitzy I think deserved it over Fittler, maybe because I didn't think he stood up near enough in any of those 3 GFs.

Burgess, yes he played well, but he was always going to get it just like Souths were always going to win regardless of how either team played. Burgess did not deserve it as he should have been suspended due to the hit on SBW the week before, but hey no Burgess really got suspended or basically penalised until souths got that premiership.

DCE in 2013 was an absolute joke as well, even being from the losing team, he was not Manly's best, Foran was

there was a World Cup in 2013, if the selectors gave it to Maloney (who was the best player that day) they’d probably have to pick him in the Australian squad, instead they went with a player who was a lock.

Dodgy

Juniors
Since it seems the topics has deviated away from the thread title a bit. from increasingly vague memories, I think Maloney should've got it in 13, not that it was his greatest game or anything. Tamou maybe should've got it in 15, or maybe Granville?

Without triggering Roosters fans, Wighton was the best player on the 19GF. The six again BS has stuffed up that game and maybe Wighton should've won it as a winning player otherwise?

I say that completely acknowledging the merit of the Roosters winning 19 despite the controversy for an overall body of work is fair enough.

Valheru

Coach
Since it seems the topics has deviated away from the thread title a bit. from increasingly vague memories, I think Maloney should've got it in 13, not that it was his greatest game or anything. Tamou maybe should've got it in 15, or maybe Granville?

Without triggering Roosters fans, Wighton was the best player on the 19GF. The six again BS has stuffed up that game and maybe Wighton should've won it as a winning player otherwise?

I say that completely acknowledging the merit of the Roosters winning 19 despite the controversy for an overall body of work is fair enough.

Milford should have got it in 15. If he doesn't get it as a losing player then no one should ever get it as a losing player.

2019 wighton was great but still couldn't create a single point in the 2nd half with overwhelming possession and against 12 men for 10 minutes.

That should have went to JWH.

From memory 2001-now

Superstar performances
Joey
Priddis
Mason
Inglis
Kite
Burgess
Keary

Good winners
Fitzgibbon
Prince
Berrigan
Boyd
Stewart
Cronk
Slater 2017
Paps
Cleary

Definitely should have gone another way
Slater 2009 (Cronk)
Cherry-Evans (Maloney)
Thurston (Granville or Morgan)
Lewis (Fifita)
Wightin (JWH)

Valheru

Coach
From memory 2001-now

Superstar performances
Joey
Priddis
Mason
Inglis
Kite
Burgess
Keary

Good winners
Fitzgibbon
Prince
Berrigan
Boyd
Stewart
Cronk
Slater 2017
Paps
Cleary

Definitely should have gone another way
Slater 2009 (Cronk)
Cherry-Evans (Maloney)
Thurston (Granville or Morgan)
Lewis (Fifita)
Wightin (JWH)

I agree fifita was best player that day but I still would put Lewis under the "good winners" category. He was tremendous that day, just not the best.

I agree fifita was best player that day but I still would put Lewis under the "good winners" category. He was tremendous that day, just not the best.

He had a good game, but Fifita was a class above that day. Had he not royally pissed of Greenberg with his FKL antics he wins the medal without a doubt.

some11

Referee
off topic but this is what I dont understand with the 6 again drama of that GF - the amount of possession and field position Canberra had that game, I cannot accept that Raiders were dudded in that game.
Roosters hate was at its peak at the time.