What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best coach ever? Gibson V Bennett

who is the supreme coach

• Jack Gibson

Votes: 44 38.6%
  • Wayne Bennett

Votes: 70 61.4%

• Total voters

Floodwaters

Juniors
Bennett hands down.

I laugh everyday at Broncos not letting him see out another 1-3 seasons and then promoting Jason Demetriou to head coach and Bennett into a senior role. His 2nd stint was actually pretty decent. If Thurston didn't shrug Blair and then Mccullough off with 5 seconds left in very weak attempts Broncos win a premiership and anyone that suggests Seibold wasn't gifted a good roster they have rocks in there heads, if they stuck with Wayne/Jason they'd be in a good spot as we speak.

2015 - 2nd - GF
2016 - 5th on +/- - Lost close game 2nd week of Finals
2017 - 3rd - Prelim
2018 - 6th - Start of boardroom unrest, Lost first week of Finals

The_Frog

First Grade
The Broncos sacked the Supreme Coach for Siebold. I don't know of anyone who sacked old Jack.

Bennett.

First (and only) coach to take 4 different clubs to a grand final

First (and only) coach to take a club for a grand final in 5 consecutive decades.

Won 2nd most premierships as a coach in history, behind Arthur Halloway..

Coached representative teams Qld, Australia, NZ, England, Great Britain.

A win in the grand final for the Rabbitohs will see him also…

Be the first coach to win a Comp with 3 different clubs.

First coach to win a comp in 4 consecutive decades.

Equal Arthur Halloway as the most successful coach in RL history with 8 premierships.

Last edited:

blaza88z

Coach
Bennett hands down.

I laugh everyday at Broncos not letting him see out another 1-3 seasons and then promoting Jason Demetriou to head coach and Bennett into a senior role. His 2nd stint was actually pretty decent. If Thurston didn't shrug Blair and then Mccullough off with 5 seconds left in very weak attempts Broncos win a premiership and anyone that suggests Seibold wasn't gifted a good roster they have rocks in there heads, if they stuck with Wayne/Jason they'd be in a good spot as we speak.

2015 - 2nd - GF
2016 - 5th on +/- - Lost close game 2nd week of Finals
2017 - 3rd - Prelim
2018 - 6th - Start of boardroom unrest, Lost first week of Finals

What fantasy world are you living in where you just assume Jason Demetriou will be as good a coach as Bennett?

People dig it in for us taking Seibold but you have to remember at the time, Seibold had just had a fantastic season with Souths and was showing some great potential as a coach, what's JD done? I'll answer it for ya, f**kin' nothing.

Bennett cannot coach forever, he is well and truly on the cusp of calling it a day, maybe see out a contract with the new Brisbane franchise and that will be it. We made the right call, despite the fact in the short-term it's taken us a while to find the right bloke. Kevvie is going a lot better than people give him credit for.

Every time Bennett has left a club, that club has had to fight like hell to get back to being a competitive side (it's not even something that can be debated), the only exception I can come up with is when he left Brisbane initially but we had Darren Lockyer out there, any coach worth half a crust gets to a prelim with one of the all time great 5/8's out there.

damoocow

Juniors
I would think that to be labelled the best coach ever you would need to have an outstanding record at all levels of the game, Gibson doesn't have that.

The Broncos sacked the Supreme Coach for Siebold. I don't know of anyone who sacked old Jack.

South Sydney did in 1979, for Bill Anderson who was his reserve grade coach. Souths officials could not wrap their heads around the concept that Souths didn't have the talent in its backline to play expansive attacking football like they did in the glory years of the late 60s to early 70s.

Last edited:

GongPanther

Referee
Gibson and Bennett never walked into a shit side. Sure Bennett and Newcastle might be the exception, but everything was "setup" as it was for these two coaches.

Mr Spock!

Referee
Gibson and Bennett never walked into a shit side. Sure Bennett and Newcastle might be the exception, but everything was "setup" as it was for these two coaches.
Souths in 1977 were 2nd last with 3 wins from 22 games and were broke when Jack took them on.

He brought in Charlie Frith, the Rampling brothers, Gary Hambly, Nathan Gibbs and Rockie Laurie from Easts to make a formidable forward pack.