What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best games you have or watched

Gareth67

First Grade
I have seen quite a few games since the mid 60's , of course from that era you had the great Dragon players that are now legends .
Proven , Clay , Gasneir , Raper , Wittenberg , Huddart and of course Mr. Kandos - Kevin Ryan , and the list go on , as do the best games .

I recall watching the 66 Grand Final against Balmain , thinking that their great run was going to end , however Saints just ran straight through the Tigers defence . Even then the Tigers coach ( I think it was Leo Nosworthy ? )had taught his players about slowing down the play with constant delays in the play the ball , and also by continually trying to rake the ball back , anything to shut the St.George machine down .

Of course they , Balmain did perfect it for the 69 G.Final against the rabbits , however it getting back to the mighty Saints , it was such a privlege to watch any of their matches , they really were that good

The radio commentator , Tiger Black best summed the Dragons up when they were beaten by Canterbury Bankstown in the 1967 Final , 12-11 , by saying " And there they go
like the true team of champions that they are , with their heads held high " .

After hearing him say that , I felt that the world of Rugby League had changed forever that day .

Last edited:
Langlands and Smith lead victory against Manly in a semi at the SCG in the seventies.

Langlands and Smith lead victory against Canterbury at Belmore Oval, Saints trailing 13-3 with 8 minutes to go, with Saints rallying to win 16-13

Saints defeating Parra at Cumberland oval late seventies, Teddy Goodwin got sent off early and a young STG pack tore Parra apart to beat them convincingly

Uplifting

Juniors
Can't remember when and where but I watched a semi between Sydney Roosters and SGI. It was a semi-final. Mundine scored three tries, Brad Fitler scored three tries. A see-sawing game. The Dragons won offcourse. May have been 1999?

Zucchini

Juniors
I have never heard a crowd noise like the one at that Anzac Day game in 2012 after we scored the try to take the game. The crowd almost literally exploded.

I agree. That was a truly special day. I remember trying to explain the atmosphere to people and saying to them "I literally couldn't believe what I was seeing" and that's how I felt. It was a bit like a dream when Creagh went over. I was just screaming and screaming because I felt like I needed to relieve myself of all the emotion inside me. My nephew and I still re-live that day often (he was 8 at the time and found $50 on the way home - the best day of his life).

gitano

Juniors
Can't remember when and where but I watched a semi between Sydney Roosters and SGI. It was a semi-final. Mundine scored three tries, Brad Fitler scored three tries. A see-sawing game. The Dragons won offcourse. May have been 1999?

If it was a semi it would have been 99, as that was Mundine's only full season with St George Illawarra. Don't think Mundine scored that game, Fittler got a couple though from memory.

hazzbeen

Bench
That 1975 Grand final shocker against East I will never forget for the wrong reasons . That same year in the semi before the Grand final we beat Easts 8 - 5 to go through to the big one . That game was a shock result for us to beat a champion side like East at the time . I have always had a thought that East played us into the Grand final that year ......

Old Timer

Coach
That 1975 Grand final shocker against East I will never forget for the wrong reasons . That same year in the semi before the Grand final we beat Easts 8 - 5 to go through to the big one . That game was a shock result for us to beat a champion side like East at the time . I have always had a thought that East played us into the Grand final that year ......
Just before half time Chang had a chance to put us in for a try and he tried to step on his bad leg and the moment was lost
Often thought if we had scored and gone in to the sheds in front Chang might have stayed off and who knows what might have been but alas he tried to stay on and lead his team by example
I always respected Beetson immensely for his consoling moment with Chang at the end of the game
My brother and I were on the hill between the Sheridan stand and the clock standing on steel yes steel beer cans trying to see over everyone else
Easts were a great side that year

since77

Juniors
I agree. That was a truly special day. I remember trying to explain the atmosphere to people and saying to them "I literally couldn't believe what I was seeing" and that's how I felt. It was a bit like a dream when Creagh went over. I was just screaming and screaming because I felt like I needed to relieve myself of all the emotion inside me. My nephew and I still re-live that day often (he was 8 at the time and found $50 on the way home - the best day of his life).

My son convinced me to stay and watch the end when I thought the game was gone. I've seen a lot of games, and many better and more important, but I've never heard a crowd that loud.

ruthless dragon

Juniors
I never saw this game but remember listening to it with my Dad on the short wave radio.
We used to listen to the footy and the cricket when we could pick up the signal.
This little treasure shows the might of St George in respect of Australian rep teams, the reason why we signed Tony Branson and a perfect little cameo from Noel "Ned" Kelly.
The great Bishop and Millward showcase something we don't have, namely a pair of combining halves.

Well I have to say my biggest regret is that Test Matches aren't the pinnacle they used to be.
I remember sitting in awe of Millward and co when they belted us 23-14 in 74 or 73 at the cricket ground.
Some of the most incisive running I have seen.

ruthless dragon

Juniors
Just before half time Chang had a chance to put us in for a try and he tried to step on his bad leg and the moment was lost
Often thought if we had scored and gone in to the sheds in front Chang might have stayed off and who knows what might have been but alas he tried to stay on and lead his team by example
I always respected Beetson immensely for his consoling moment with Chang at the end of the game
My brother and I were on the hill between the Sheridan stand and the clock standing on steel yes steel beer cans trying to see over everyone else
Easts were a great side that year

Oh god my old man took me to that game and we sat behind the posts where the Roosters ran in 6 2nd half tries ohhh the pain.

ruthless dragon

Juniors
Speaking of Test matches I was taken by a rabid Souths family to the 66 Test half a meat pie Artie.

What a great introduction to live football! 60k+ crowd, green grass,blue sky all the colours and the green and gold of Oz and red, white and blue of the Poms.

Special mention to the meat pie which was acquired at half time by an adult...how he got through the crowd was beyond me...Stupidly as it turned out..."would you like sauce with that"? when it arrived I took a bite and bloody hell out shot a volcano of meat and sauce straight down between my thong wearing toes!! talk about hop.

ruthless dragon

Juniors
Just watched the Dragons v Manly mob where the Dragons held them out for 6 consecutive sets and got a standing ovation for a great effort, wish someone had smashed that moron Matai.
While I am here its half time in a Dragons v Knights game 9-0 so far, bloody Bennett Boyd, Costigan and Mr Smith what a gutting oh and Mckinnon

Zucchini

Juniors
My son convinced me to stay and watch the end when I thought the game was gone. I've seen a lot of games, and many better and more important, but I've never heard a crowd that loud.
Same here! My nephew said "let's just wait and see if they do a short kick off". Haven't left a game before full time since - well except this year against the Titans - and that was a form of protest at what Widdop later described as "we just didn't turn up".

Slippery Morris

First Grade
All finals series games played that got the Dragons to the GF in 96 against Manly were quality. Started with a cracker against the Raiders, then they flogged the Chooks and Bears from memory who were both red hot favourites. Saints were tipped to get smashed in both those 2 games. Bears even rested players for the Grand Final (Brett Dallas).

Also the games to get to the 99 GF. The beat Storm in 1 game down to 11 men from memory, flogged Roosters who were favourites and beat the Sharks after being down 8-0 at half time.

Pity those Grand Final games ended up being the worst games I watched for the red V. Talk about an anti climax.

Dragon_psa

First Grade
Best Saints game I've ever been to was the first time they ever played the Warriors over here in 1995. The Warriors had won 5 on the trot and needless to say I copped a fair bit of shit walking into the stadium that day decked out in red and white. We destroyed them 47-14, the highlight being Goren Tallis' try at the start of the second half where he busted through pretty much the entire Warriors side from the kickoff for an 80 metre beauty. The Warriors never quite recovered from that for the rest of that season and leaving the stadium with a some other Saints fans belting out "Oh when the Saints" was bloody great.

DragonsBlood

Juniors
Round 26 - 2016......... Purely for the relief that the season that was, finally ended. Bring on 2017

On the Skull, I have seen him on the train on the way home a few times after the game. Still a lunatic, a funny one though. He also sets up the Ring for Australian Wrestling Entertainment and sits there and sings out "Suplex" all night haha. He even had Pauline Hanson shirt on one night. I was chatting to him and he reckons One Nation kicked him out due to his views. I nearly choked on my beer with laughter

Latest posts