What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best mobile network?

Cliffhanger

Coach
I've been with Vodafone since 2007, never used a different mobile phone provider, however there customer service infuriates me and I am open to the idea of switching networks if there's a better one.

Which provider do most people rate?

Danish

Referee
If you want good network service, Telstra is the only way to go.

We've used 3, Optus and Telstra and work, and telstras coverage and data speeds are really in another league. Literally a dial up to ADSL type situation.

You'll pay double per month to use them though. Telstras unlimited plans are around the 100 buck mark while the rest float around 45-60 bucks for the same plan.

Really though if you are moving from vodafone any other carrier (providing they aren't a reseller of vodafone) will seem like dream.

Cupid Stunt

Swings & roundabouts. Find people in your local area, or areas you frequent, & ask them. It's no good someone who lives in Ultimo telling you carrier X is red hot if you live in Cape York where service could be distinctly different.

No slight on your answer though, Danish! :cool:

user_nat

Coach
My phone with work is on Optus and my personal phone is on telsra. I haven't noticed a difference in coverage or call quality, but the net is certainly faster with Telstra.

Danish

Referee
Swings & roundabouts. Find people in your local area, or areas you frequent, & ask them. It's no good someone who lives in Ultimo telling you carrier X is red hot if you live in Cape York where service could be distinctly different.

No slight on your answer though, Danish! :cool:

Completely agree when it comes to the other carriers. Optus especially can vary a lot in data speeds etc depending where you are.

I just find Telstra's coverage to be pretty damned good no matter where I am in Oz.

You DO pay a premium though, there is no denying that, so if Optus or someone gets the same or similar coverage in the areas you frequent then they become a possibility.

I would suggest though that when asking mates opinions to ask them some specific questions on how their phone stacks up completing the tasks you'd be using your phone for. If you intend to use the net a lot asking them how long it takes to load facebook etc will tell you more than just a general "what's your carrier like" vague question.

Pete Cash

Post Whore
Telstras infrastructure is in an entire different league to the other providers. Although I think Vodafone is establishing a 850mhz network which MAY sort out some of the problems.

the1

Juniors
Telstra and Optus would have to be the best in terms of customer service.

In terms of network connection well, that really depends on where you live. If you live in a Metro area any carrier will be fine. My preferable provider is Optus because of their price and their quality customer support. However, for people living away from the city your only real option is Telstra. Their network connection is by far the best.

abpanther

Staff member
3 is horrible, I'm in the same boat, looking at jumping to Telstra

Last edited:

Pete Cash

Post Whore
My partner is on vodafone I am on telstra because I travel with my job. Earlier this year the entire network just went down for a period of a day or something. It is just mind boggling bad.

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
Vodafone is the worst company I have ever been with. Iv been with 3, Voda, Optus and Telstra and Vodafone are the worst. Especially reception wise.

I was with Optus up until March this year and I cannot wait until my contract expires.

abpanther

Staff member
I'm in an interesting situation, I'm a long term 3 customer currently done 10 months of a 24 month plan, however I'm sick of their network, I lose coverage randomly all over Sydney, including where I live in Roselands. Additionally the handset that I got as part of the plan has given me plenty of problems.

I'm possibly about to move into a house near a National Park where coverage is low, I know coverage is ok with the Telstra 3G network however with 3 it's dodgy, therefore I'm keen to break out of my plan and join Telstra ASAP.

I spoke to somebody who told me that if you're unhappy with your network coverage and are frankly not getting what you paid for, you can contact the Telecommunications Ombudsmen who can assist you in breaking out of your contract for free. I looked up the Ombudsmen's website and it states that you need to first contact your provider and attempt to resolve the issue with them directly.

I subsequently wrote to 3 and explained my issue, I checked their network map and explained that I lose coverage in places where they claim to provide full coverage, I requested cancelling my contract with no cancellation fee.

I just got a call from a lady with 3, she basically gave me two options, one to switch to the vodafone network for the remainder of my contract to see if the coverage is better, the other was a $10 monthly credit for the remainder of my deal. I told her I would research whether I want to jump to Vodafone, from what I have read everywhere it seems Vodfaone's coverage is also poor and their customer service is even worse. I'm thinking I will call back and tell her that and also say that I don't want a monthly credit to remain with a network provider that frankly can't provide what I paid for.

Anyone tried negotiating a cancellation of contract without paying the cancellation fee?

Last edited:

Frederick

Staff member
Switching to vodafone from Optus a year ago was the worst decision I've ever made. Their reception is absolutely atrocious, and I live in Newcastle, so not exactly out in the sticks. Most of the time I find myself with at most 2 bars of reception, calls constantly either drop out or fail to connect, which is especially infuriating as I use my phone for work, and I don't even bother trying to access the net at night from my phone either as it always times out. Going to transfer over to Telstra when my contract is over. I know it's more expensive but it's worth paying that bit extra for a network that actually works!