What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best place to and Tips for Going for your P's in NSW

Parrasque

Juniors
What does everyone think the best place is to go for your P-Plates. By best, i mean easiest.

Also, has anyone got any tips. What is the hardest thing to do and what are the RTA strict on.

Thanks

strewth_mate

Bench
Yep, anywhere familiar. All I had to do was show that I could drive around some backstreets confidently. Common sense stuff really, and the hardest thing was a reverse park, and if you think that's easy then no dramas. Just make sure you make it kinda obvious when you're checking blindspots and don't forget the mirrors.

Raider_69

Post Whore
St Clair is renowned around Western Sydney as being hard, but i found it piss easy, probably cause i've lived here all my life and know it like the back of my hand... so id agree with the somewhere familiar theory, some where you know the signs, school zones, speed limits etc...

as for tips, the 3 things i almost got done for

1. Speeding in school zones, id suggest booking a time outside school zones, but if you dont have that option keep a keen eye out for them. They can end you.

2. Roundabouts, i was told i went into them abit too quickly, mainly cause i knew them so well etc, so slow down abit more then usual for them.

3. Indicating, when indicating, make sure you do it for a full 5 seconds, i had a bitch of a marker who nearly pinged me for only going 4 seconds, irresepective of no other car being in sight

jed

First Grade
Raider_69 said:
2. Roundabouts, i was told i went into them abit too quickly, mainly cause i knew them so well etc, so slow down abit more then usual for them.
One that I was pulled up on was letting the car slow down on it's own, I was told to make sure I use the break properly to let the tester know that you're aware of it.

Parrasque

Juniors
Which RTA should I do it at????
Do they make you reverse,parralell and straight in park?
At roundabouts, I heard you have to use your blinker somehow when you are going straight, and if someone coming towards you doesn't have a blinker you have to wait or something, can someone clear this up for me?????

How long does the written and driving test takes?

Special K

Coach
You have to indicate off the roundabout before you exit the roundabout. You can forget to do it once in the test but twice is a fail.

axie

Juniors
It doesn't matter where you do the exam, if you can only pass the test if they take it easy on you, then your not ready to be on the roads.

strewth_mate

Bench

If you can see this...
Basically in this situation you should have your right indicator on before entering the roundabout. The RTA site then says "You must indicate a left turn just before your exit".

and if someone coming towards you doesn't have a blinker you have to wait or something, can someone clear this up for me?????

I'm thinking what you mean here is you can never be sure what someone is going to do based on his blinkers until you see where he actually drives. For instance, using the picture above, if you're waiting at the exit the guy gets off at, his (left) blinkers say he's going to get off at this exit and it should be safe to enter the roundabout. But if he's done the wrong thing and left his right indicator on without switching to the left indicator, even though he's getting off at your exit, you can only assume he's going to keep going right around the roundabout, and you can't say it's safe to go. It's hard to explain, but you just have to be extra careful moving onto a roundabout because people don't always use their indicators properly. If he doesn't use his blinkers at all, he's a deadset idiot and you probably better wait until he's gone.

Hope that makes sense.

strewth_mate

Bench
Parrasque said:
so if im going staight, i need to indicate left before i exit the roundabout?

Yeah, no matter where your exit is you indicate left before the exit, but only after you pass the exit before your exit...

You might have to do straight in parks, but they prefer to test your reverse parking. Also hill starts and 3 point turns. Just have to make sure you use all the mirrors properly, as well as looking out the windows and blindspots, and make it obvious, and take your time.

You have to do it like a robot really, can't be too confident that you lose concentration of all the steps (especially if you're in a manual). When my dad went for his, they made him reverse park on the Pacific Highway outside a shopping centre with trucks flying up the road towards him; he did a perfect reverse park to get out of the way of the trucks and he got failed because, even though he might have saved everyone's lives, he did it too quickly apparently.

Test doesn't take too long, it's basically a leisurely drive, maybe 15-20 minutes. But yeah, as axie said, you can't rely on the instructors taking it easy otherwise you shouldn't be doing the test.

innsaneink

Referee
strewth_mate said:

If you can see this...
Basically in this situation you should have your right indicator on before entering the roundabout. The RTA site then says "You must indicate a left turn just before your exit".

I'm thinking what you mean here is you can never be sure what someone is going to do based on his blinkers until you see where he actually drives. For instance, using the picture above, if you're waiting at the exit the guy gets off at, his (left) blinkers say he's going to get off at this exit and it should be safe to enter the roundabout. But if he's done the wrong thing and left his right indicator on without switching to the left indicator, even though he's getting off at your exit, you can only assume he's going to keep going right around the roundabout, and you can't say it's safe to go. It's hard to explain, but you just have to be extra careful moving onto a roundabout because people don't always use their indicators properly. If he doesn't use his blinkers at all, he's a deadset idiot and you probably better wait until he's gone.

Hope that makes sense.

NEVER ever rely on someone elses blinkers.

strewth_mate

Bench
innsaneink said:
NEVER ever rely on someone elses blinkers.

My bad - I hoped that message would come across when I said "should be safe to enter the roundabout". As in, that's technically the proper way to use blinkers but you can't trust people to do what they're indicating.

What he said ;-)

[furrycat]

Coach
Errr you get that with your L's book?
Going around streets, round a bouts, three point turn, reverse/parallel park. Hill starts, stopping on hills, parking next to gutters.

Latest posts