What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best Rugby League biographies.

Brutus

Referee
The Two of Me ( A Johns) is good. Matty's one, In The Sheds is good as well, although it's only funny stories, no real depth.

What's Glen Buttriss' book called?

'Being mistaken for Ryan Hinchcliffe'

juggalo

Juniors
A Family Betrayal by Jarrod McCracken and Super League-The Inside Story by Mike Coleman are good reads for anyone interested in the ARL/SL war

thorson1987

Coach
As a Storm fan this (whilst not a biography) was a good read.

638961-storm-cloud.jpg

Perth Red

Post Whore
There was a good one written about the dodgy early years of the warriors which was an interesting read.

pHyR3

Juniors
what did people think of benjis one?

i read it back in around 2012 so it had quite a lot more relevance to me (as a tigers fan) back then than it would now, good read i thought.

firechild

First Grade
Beaver's book isn't bad. The insight into the Super league war from the perspective of a prominent player was really interesting.

ram raid

Bench
Never read any. Always assumed they're all ghost-written tripe. But I'm interested, too, if they're any good ones.

axl rose

Bench
My Game- Arko

Never Say Die- George Piggins

Straight Between the Posts- Frank Hyde

Good as Gould

all superb

The rest ive read over the years are a bit meh. I played footy, i got injured, coach liked me, other one didn't, retired. Yawn.

Haffa

Whilst not a biography of a single player I just purchased The Night the Music died about Western Div's Amco Cup win. Awesome read so far. I will update you on the final review.

Godz Illa

Coach
If we're veering away from biographies... this is the best rugby league book I own. Currently out of print, but being sold on ebay for around $120

9780732908164.jpg

steggz

Juniors
Whilst not a biography of a single player I just purchased The Night the Music died about Western Div's Amco Cup win. Awesome read so far. I will update you on the final review.

Ian Heads was on Conversations with Richard Fidler this week. Looking forward to hearing him on podcast

veggiepatch1959

First Grade

edabomb

First Grade
Matthew Ridge's book "Take No Prisoners" is a good read, very personal and to the point - although like others, it was written and released a year too soon.

Agree. Was going to mention this - it is the best I have read (although I haven't read many).

firechild

First Grade
Cliff Lyons' - From the bush to Brookvale is a pretty good read. Been a while since I read it though so don't remember a lot of the detail.

roofromoz

First Grade
Five star Brandy was pretty good. A bit sad now in places as it was written before Ben died.

Bought it for $2 earlier this year at a second hand book shop. I agree, a very good read.

I recall Royce Simmons' biography 'Hooked On League' being a good read too, which was released I think just after he got sacked as Penrith coach. One story that sticks is trying to rationalise the money grabbing that took place during the Superleague war by saying that a bricklayer, whingeing at the pub about how greedy the players were getting would also likely take the money if he could get a job where the money was better.