What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

best rugby league debuts

nrlnrl

First Grade
Yeah, Fittler would be my pick as well.

He carved them up, almost at will, in that game.

Were you guys at that game ? - if so, that's always so much better, actually being there. I've only seen some brief highlights on Channel 9 that were typical of the limited coverage of games from back then.

nrlnrl

First Grade
Marshall Chalk got 4 tries on debut for Raiders... I think.

I remember Billy Slater got a couple in his debut, and I thought 'this kid is gonna be a good 'un' :D

sorry to be pedantic, but Slater only scored 1 - although it was a 60 metre blinder from dummy half beating several defenders

Last edited:

Azkatro

First Grade
I can actually remember watching Ben Smith debut in the #25 jersey for Parramatta against the Cowboys in 2005, he made everybody sit up and take notice even though it was a hammering.

hughesy

Juniors
Lachlan Coote had a good debut for Penrith. 12 all draw against the Broncos, having to take over for Wesser, he wasn't the only junior. Graham and Iosefa also both debuted that game from memory and all had good debuts.

Phillips

Referee
I can actually remember watching Ben Smith debut in the #25 jersey for Parramatta against the Cowboys in 2005, he made everybody sit up and take notice even though it was a hammering.

Ben Smith made his debut along with Feleti Mateo in 2004 against Melbourne..

Shire Panther

Juniors
Lachlan Coote had a good debut for Penrith. 12 all draw against the Broncos, having to take over for Wesser, he wasn't the only junior. Graham and Iosefa also both debuted that game from memory and all had good debuts.
Coote was man of the match that night and in the after game interview he thanked all his fans when he meant his family :D

Personally i cant go past Amos Roberts debuet against the Warriors he had a field day i remember watching the game and thinking to myself i hope Penrith sign this guy and a few years later we did and he was leading try scorer before selling his sole and going to the Roosters.
Amos had all the potential in the world but we didnt get to see it very often and he was hampered by injury.

Ulysseus

Bench
Where are they now?

Charlie Leano scored two for Saints against Cronulla 2007.

Ugggggggh, I had high hopes, I talked him up for 2 months before that game just on the basis of reading his physical stats, the height, the weight, he was a big man.
2 tries on debut and it looked good.
I think he's in the dogs lower grades now, its almost as if he lacked the natural aggression to compliment hes god given size.

nqcowboy87

Bench
i remember back in the 2005 jf gf vossy saying leaeno was one of the biggest and strongest players in the whole st george club in all grades but he never really kicked on

Dr Crane

Live Update Team
in the modern era at least, to suggest anyone other the sonny bill as absurd. it was a long time ago and i still remember it.

nrlnrl

First Grade
Shannon Hegarty's debut in 1999 against the Cowboys would have to be the best I've ever seen. I thought to myself afterwards that this guy would be something special and I was proven right.
I just had a look at his stats, 5 runs for 30 metres including a try with 1 linebreak.