What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best team yet!!

tiger_nick

Bench
TIGERS: Brett Hodgson, Jason Moodie, Daniel Fitzhenry, Shane Elford, Luke Covell, Benji Marshall, Scott Prince, Anthony Laffranchi, Robbie Mears, John Skandalis, Ben Galea, Mark O'Neill, Scott Sattler (c). Interchange: Darren Senter, John Wilson, Nick Graham, Todd Payten, Dene Halatau, Bronson Harrison (two to be omitted).

Well I think so anyway!

Anonymous

Juniors
I agree it's the best side yet. It's brilliant to see Benji starting at 5/8. I'd like to see a bit more beef on the bench though. Lima is injured I assume? Galea deserves his start. Good to see superboot back.

Anonymous

Juniors
Just saw fitz in the centres. That's a bit of worry defensively in my opinion. Thanks for the team mate!

Dale.2.

Juniors
I dont like it,put Gibbs back in the team and Laffranchi in the second row and we might be getting somewhere.

Dale.2.

Juniors
Balmain_Boy said:
Just saw fitz in the centres. That's a bit of worry defensively in my opinion.

LMAO

There is always something isn't there.

Did i miss something with Gibbs,is he suspended?

Anonymous

Juniors
Shit I must be tired. Where the hell is Gibbs?

And Dale what the f**k is your problem buddy? I've been holding off criticizing the team in recent weeks because i've pleased with their efforts. However I don't rate Fitzy as a first grader. Quite simply there are 3 sides to being a pro footballed. Attack, Defense and Commitment. He's very good on his feet except when he's at 5/8 anyway, he always gives puts in, but he can't defend for shit. Just because you're obsessed with him doesn't mean we all have to be.

BJ

Juniors
not a bad team.. backline looks solid.. covell is fairly good defensivly and i guess that's why he is paired up with fitzy.. benji in the halves will be good to see.. glad robbie is still starting hooker.. he hasn't done much wrong and hasn't been as selfish as he used to be since his come back..
bench is a little lean.. but canberra have a few of their big guns i nthe forwards out..
it'll be close.. if we can shut down shifcofskie then tigers should be right..

gr8_1

Juniors
Backline is good.

Dont like the forward fomation. Is Gibbs suspended ? whats the go here ?
What happen to Lima ?
Why is O'Neill still in the team ?
Our forwards look small once again. Skando, Boof and Payten (maybe).

If our strongest pack isnt :
Skando
Senter
Payten
Laffranchi
Gibbs
Sattler

I will give it up.

Wilson must be on the bench to cover for Benji if he isnt passed fit.

Good to see the LL Fitzy in the centres. He will carve em up. :D

Magpie Nick

Juniors
Good to see Fitzhenry back into the centres, don't expect too much from Marshall as he hasn't had that much experience in top level at all let alone 5/8. Canberra have named two backs on their bench in Campese, a 5/8, and Gafa, a Fullback/Winger. I'd drop Harrison and Halatau or Wilson if he isn't going to be used as a running backrower.

daslacker

Juniors
I agree best team yet

I've been very convident about the game on the
weekend.Now looking at the team even more so.

There were no players facing the judiciary this week so it looks like Gibbs will be doing his time in the maggies premier league side. I agree Wilson is on the bench to cover for Benji and it looks like Halatau and Harrison might drop off the bench. Elford can consider himself lucky and better be on his game because Halatau will be on his heels if he puts in another poor performance . Good to finally have some depth and argue who should be in the 17 and who should miss out. Not too many changes I would make to that current team except I would have Senter starting at Hooker with Mears on the bench and possibly Gibbs or Lima on the bench to give us a bit more size coming off the bench

tigergal

Juniors
Having Covell back is such good news, i have sure missed him and well i have already expressed how happy i am about benji being back... tigers by 10 :)

innsaneink

Referee
I cant see much momentum being maintained by that bench.

When was the last time Fitzy played centre? I will watch with interest ( someone here keeps mentioning he's a centre in his defence....I think hes a reserve grader )....hooker has been the only possy so far I've seen him play OK in....I really cant get enthused by the team...even with Benji back AND Covell who is someone I wanted in from the start....even before we saw how good Pat looked.
I've lost all confidence in em and a special effort will be needed before it is restored.

tracietiga

Juniors
Short memories should be your theme song ink,
Fitzy more than held his own as a first grade centre before Sheensie started playing him everywhere but centre .
Cheer up ink you seem such a dour person , football is a fun game, and so should supporting your side be.

innsaneink

Referee
tracietiga said:
Short memories should be your theme song ink,
Fitzy more than held his own as a first grade centre before Sheensie started playing him everywhere but centre .
Cheer up ink you seem such a dour person , football is a fun game, and so should supporting your side be.
OK smartarse...I asked a simple question....why dont you answer it instead of havin a go at me....why dont you tell me the last time he played centre and tell me just how he held his own.

I can see positives and get confidence even when we play poorly and lose like in the Penrith game....but unlike you....I cant accept a 22-0 loss like that to the roosters and think Oh thats OK , especially after what I saw a week previous.

Its very rarely fun being a Magpies or Wests Tigers supporter...33 years of I would say a 25%-35% winning average aint fun, please dont ask me why !

Papa_smurf

Juniors
k i think this is canberras worst forward pack they have put pout in the last 2 seasons so i wld luv 2 c lima and gibbs in the side so we wld would absoulutely dominate them in that respect.

Marshall is playn in his rite position and so is fitzy which has been a long time coming.

I think they will b lucky 2 keep us 2 less then 5 tries 2 b honest wit yall.

Trollhammaren

Juniors
Good team. Good to see Benji and Covell, who really impressed me in reserves last week without realising who the hell he was. I agree that Fitzhenry's best performances have been at hooker or somewhere were he can do some darts from dummy half often. Would like to see Gibbs but he'll be back soon. Harrison and Wilson OR Halatau to drop off for mine.

And Tiges shall win!!!

B_Tiger

Juniors
I can't help but hate the side, here's why:

Benji marshall at 5/8 is a worry. the kid is f**king talented but sheens plan was to ease him in slowly, why the compromise of his plans? Did he think it out properly from the start? Surely coming back from six weeks of injury means he shouldn't start straight away in the middle of the field? I'm not saying that I can't wait to see him in the #6, i just wonder if it is too early for Benji and maybe bringing him off the bench into that position would have been a better move considering how effective he was coming off the bench last year.

The second row looks pretty much the same, which is bad news. Galea isn't strong enough to be an impact running second rower, so why put him there? it seems like sheens is simply trying to fit him into the side rather then either playing him at his best position (lock/5-8), or not playing him at all. Putting him in the second row seems like a weak compromise and Galea hasn't ever been a success in the second row.

The bench is shit. No lima means no impact forward. payten coming back from injury still has only played 40 mins of football this season. You can't rely on him to go out there and make an impact, he has to get his match fitness back first. so leaving him as the only prop on the bench is giving him far too much workload to handle. I'd only name one player out of senter, wilson, halatau, graham and bronson on the bench, instead he's picked them all. I'd only take one because all four of them only have second rower size with little impact from any of them all year. Senter/mears combo at hooker just looks unorganised, neither is especially good. Why not just play one for 80mins? Neither are really talented enough to justify keeping them fresh on the bench for some sort of impact late in a half. Instead, play them for their strengths. Both are 80minute guys who love competing and giving there all, so why use them the way that they are being used? Again, it just seems like sheens can't figure out which one to go with, rather then coming up with a plan that works to the attributes of his players.

Also, why is patto played one week and dropped the next? he either has unseen potential that should be developed in first grade or he has nothing and he should be forgotten. Same goes for dean, bronson, lima and wilson. i can't see how coming up and down between divisions each week can be positive for their performances. Bronson especially seems like half the player he was from the player who finished last year and started this year in terrific form. In my opinion, giving him 20 minutes a match is just really really stupid. You can see in the way he plays that he just isn't with the tempo of the game and is not given enough opportunity to actually get used to opposition defenses.

It's easy to be critical of a coach going trhough a rough spell, and I have been critical (and it has been easy for me). But, I just don';t think he is going for changes that should be made. he seems to lack faith in the young players he is depending on to resurrect this club and that lack of faith has an obvious effect on their play. If he has a plan he should stick to it, he played benji at centre for all of four or so matches, then suddenly back from injury he's given the very difficult responsisbility of the #6 in a poor backline. No player since the merger happened has been effective at 6, giving it to a young player with little experience is a massive risk.

Eddie.

Bench
B_Tiger said:
I can't help but hate the side, here's why:

Benji marshall at 5/8 is a worry. the kid is f***ing talented but sheens plan was to ease him in slowly, why the compromise of his plans? Did he think it out properly from the start? Surely coming back from six weeks of injury means he shouldn't start straight away in the middle of the field? I'm not saying that I can't wait to see him in the #6, i just wonder if it is too early for Benji and maybe bringing him off the bench into that position would have been a better move considering how effective he was coming off the bench last year.

The second row looks pretty much the same, which is bad news. Galea isn't strong enough to be an impact running second rower, so why put him there? it seems like sheens is simply trying to fit him into the side rather then either playing him at his best position (lock/5-8), or not playing him at all. Putting him in the second row seems like a weak compromise and Galea hasn't ever been a success in the second row.

The bench is sh*t. No lima means no impact forward. payten coming back from injury still has only played 40 mins of football this season. You can't rely on him to go out there and make an impact, he has to get his match fitness back first. so leaving him as the only prop on the bench is giving him far too much workload to handle. I'd only name one player out of senter, wilson, halatau, graham and bronson on the bench, instead he's picked them all. I'd only take one because all four of them only have second rower size with little impact from any of them all year. Senter/mears combo at hooker just looks unorganised, neither is especially good. Why not just play one for 80mins? Neither are really talented enough to justify keeping them fresh on the bench for some sort of impact late in a half. Instead, play them for their strengths. Both are 80minute guys who love competing and giving there all, so why use them the way that they are being used? Again, it just seems like sheens can't figure out which one to go with, rather then coming up with a plan that works to the attributes of his players.

Also, why is patto played one week and dropped the next? he either has unseen potential that should be developed in first grade or he has nothing and he should be forgotten. Same goes for dean, bronson, lima and wilson. i can't see how coming up and down between divisions each week can be positive for their performances. Bronson especially seems like half the player he was from the player who finished last year and started this year in terrific form. In my opinion, giving him 20 minutes a match is just really really stupid. You can see in the way he plays that he just isn't with the tempo of the game and is not given enough opportunity to actually get used to opposition defenses.

It's easy to be critical of a coach going trhough a rough spell, and I have been critical (and it has been easy for me). But, I just don';t think he is going for changes that should be made. he seems to lack faith in the young players he is depending on to resurrect this club and that lack of faith has an obvious effect on their play. If he has a plan he should stick to it, he played benji at centre for all of four or so matches, then suddenly back from injury he's given the very difficult responsisbility of the #6 in a poor backline. No player since the merger happened has been effective at 6, giving it to a young player with little experience is a massive risk.

i agree with alot of what you say here mate. The mears/Senter situation isplain stupid especially with Fitzhenry and Galea is the starting line up and halatua on the bench. Agree again on Galea although is there really much different between lock and second row??. Lima should be on the bench or at least gibbs.

However you say Sheens lacks the belief in the younger players that hes sees as rebuilding the club. But you say slotting marshall straight in is a massive risk?. Agree that players like Bronson when given the opportunity should be given more than 20 minutes.

If the team continues to lose more than win i think/hope we will see

3. Halatua
6.Marshall
7. Prince
9.Farah
10.Lima
12. Bronson

Sheens has always said 2005 will be the year when the youngsters take over.