What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

BIDDING WARS - Queensland

Goddo

Bench
Now it looks like the Qld bids are fighting amoungst themselves for licence 17, things are starting to turn ugly:

BIDDING WARS
A war of words has erupted between officials from Central Queensland and the Brisbane Bombers, but the rival expansion-bid teams are united in their belief an Ipswich side would impact heavily on the Broncos' supporter base. CQ chairman Geoff Murphy launched a scathing attack on his Bombers counterpart, Craig Davidson, calling him ''ignorant, rude, selfish and dismissive'' over comments the NRL needed a second team in Brisbane as the city was being left to AFL and Super Rugby when the Broncos played away. CQ have research compiled by media rights expert Colin Smith which shows Queenslanders would support a new team regardless of where in the state it was based. The research also showed a team in central Queensland was the preferred choice of most Queenslanders. However, the report also found that 75 per cent of supporters for an Ipswich team would switch allegiance from the Broncos.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...d-to-origin-20120503-1y1ut.html#ixzz1tqm2rhBs

Canard

Immortal

Goddo

Bench
I think its the start of expansion mud slinging season in Queensland. Handbags at 3 paces amoung the canetoads.

I wonder if the QRL has a preference. Maybe a Bowraville Qld licence. :roll:

CQ Italia

Juniors
Seems its only coming from CQ, a bit of a desperate bid to get there name in the news.

"Research shows that QLDers will "support" a new team regardless of where its based"???

What sort of shit is that? So base it in Longreach or Weipa, piss poor argument.
All bids have used the some media tactics, particularly all three QLD bids

Clearly those asked were asked a similar question along the lines of "CQ, Ipswich/WC or Bombers".

Wouldn't be very smart for us (CQ) to just sit back and watch the media give the media exposure to others, considering how advanced the bid is.

Bro Bear

Juniors
My personal choice for a new QLD bid is the CQLD one. Not saying it has the most merit but personally I hope the CQLD wins if a new QLD team is to be admitted.

Petty shit. Other than the chronic sledging of the cc's suitability to an nrl team, this is the first negative campaigning.

Pie in the sky

docbrown

Coach
"Research shows that QLDers will "support" a new team regardless of where its based"???

I too have to call bullshit on that line there.

Whilst the report indicated that overall Queensland support for a 4th team would be high it also said that it would be "highest" with a 2nd Brisbane club.

So Bombers have no supporters, CQ have limited population and opportunities, Ipswich obviously hurts the Broncos if "75%" of people will switch alligiances from the Broncos to them... I'm not sure who conducted this research because no Ipswich based Bronco fan I know was ever asked.

Looking good for WA Reds and CC Bears.

docbrown

Coach
I'm not sure who conducted this research because no Ipswich based Bronco fan I know was ever asked.

Looking good for WA Reds and CC Bears.

GMS aka LEK - the guys setting up the negotiation strategies for the NRL's broadcast deal.

As for the "no Ipswich based Bronco fan I know" angle, well it's a survey poll. Chances are it's going to miss out 99.999% of the population.

And before you ask, yes there was a similar research study done on the Central Coast Bears and yes it was quite positive - focused on the benefit of the North Shore and attraction to the club at Gosford. Things I have commented on here - about how to structure games, branding, memberships, television etc - are very similar to its conclusions...

Perth Red

Post Whore
It was funded by CQ bid, say no more! Like those tobacco funded research papers that show smoking cigarettes at 14 is good for you or the red meat ads that claim it is good for your diet to eat loads of saturated fat dead animal flesh!

He who pays the piper and all that

Perth Red

Post Whore
Seems a Brisbane based team is a certainty which basically rules out cq. Png no hope. No sign of any bids emerging from NZ so I guess 18th place is between us and gosford. An interesting test of the arlc's commitment to growing the game.

clarency

Juniors
Wait... so this research "report" conducted by CQLD included items that measured whether the Ipswitch team would affect the Broncos?

I call bullsh*t on the entire thing.

docbrown

Coach
Wait... so this research "report" conducted by CQLD included items that measured whether the Ipswitch team would affect the Broncos?

I call bullsh*t on the entire thing.

He may have "asked" for it and is using it to promote his cause but it was LEK/NRL driven.

Like Perth Reds said there's WA & CCB reports and don't know if it's been mentioned but there's also a NZ report.

It's all for the TV deal.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I would be interested in the methodology, did they go and ask 5000 Broncos fans if they change allegiance to a Western Corridor team? Hmmm somehow I think not! The difference with this report is that they have asked questions to damage/attack other bids where as the CC and WA ones just focussed on the strengths of their own bids.

CQ know that a 2nd Brisbane team is the obvious choice for the next Q'land expansion and they are just trying to sew doubt in the ARLC's mind over the sustainability of that obvious choice, its the only hope they have got. No one is suggesting the CQ bid isn;t a good one and that it doesn't have its strengths but compared to what a 2nd Brisbane team brings for the comp it isn't even close.I expect CQ to get a lot dirtier in the coming weeks. Same for CC, I expect tFlorimo to start attacking the WA bid with more vim now it is looking more and more likely that it will be between Perth and Gosford for the 18th spot.

docbrown

Coach
I would be interested in the methodology, did they go and ask 5000 Broncos fans if they change allegiance to a Western Corridor team? Hmmm somehow I think not! The difference with this report is that they have asked questions to damage/attack other bids where as the CC and WA ones just focussed on the strengths of their own bids.

If you're going to attack the methodology of the report then at least read the methodology first rather than guessing.

CQ know that a 2nd Brisbane team is the obvious choice for the next Q'land expansion and they are just trying to sew doubt in the ARLC's mind over the sustainability of that obvious choice

By bringing up this report the CQ bid are trying to win the public support, not the ARLC's. They want the public to push it.

How do we know this? Because the NRL/ARLC arranged for and read the original report.

When CQ come out and say something that contradicts the report's conclusion, what source do the ARLC believe: the CQ reinterpretation or the original report? :roll:

Perth Red

Post Whore
If you're going to attack the methodology of the report then at least read the methodology first rather than guessing.

By bringing up this report the CQ bid are trying to win the public support, not the ARLC's. They want the public to push it.

How do we know this? Because the NRL/ARLC arranged for and read the original report.

When CQ come out and say something that contradicts the report's conclusion, what source do the ARLC believe: the CQ reinterpretation or the original report? :roll:

The sample size was 781 fans across Q'land (harldy a massive sample size), how many of those were Bronocs fans we don't know but to suggest most of the support for a WC team would switch from the Broncos is a long reach based on that sample.

The 2011 Global and Media report report was commisioned by the CQ bid NOT the NRL/ARLC

Again the report suggested there was no difference in Q'land FTA TV viewing figures when a Q'land side played compared to when the Broncos play, again this not backed up by the FTA TV audience stats and is the reason the TV channels have come out and said they want a 2nd Brisbane team specifically and not a 4th Q'land team.

They also need to address the impact on other NRL teams, most specifically the Cowboys. They themselves have stated that a CQ introduction will mean no new stadium for Townsville, that has to be a damaging factor to an existing NRL team.

There only hope is that neither of the Brisbane bids gets their act together enough to satisfy the ARLC but even then we have seen in the past the NRL decide to go with a weaker bid over a stringer one if they deem the location more startegically important.

I await the Bombers blast that is sure to be coming, got to love it when rich guys get a strop on with each other! :)

Latest posts