What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Big Boppers - Price's Conundrum

hardbaby

Coach
Just when you think the best 17 can't get any more difficult we get a performance like that. Injuries force Price's hand, he goes with 5 props, and they carve up.

Bennett did it a handful of times (and always against the Eagles, a team we always beat). While I don't have the stats in front of me, I can't remember the Dragons ever losing when they go big.

That makes it very difficult come selection time. I am positive that Scott was initially selected in the centres because there were just too many good backrowers to fit into one team. It didn't work so he moved Scott back into the pack. But now that he has chosen an extra prop in the backrow that means we have even more pressure on the bench positions.

I'm not saying that he will always choose that formation but to repeat my comment above, I have never seen them lose when they choose 5 props and alternate Merrin and Hunt in the second row.

I am not saying Ah Mau is the right selection although I think he is playing well. It may be Miller. It may be Gower. It may be JDB moving up front. But the extra big dude is very effective. Win the ruck. Win the game.

Thought?

TheRev

First Grade
I'd be surprised if Price changes a winning combination, the only issue is who makes way for De Belin, probably Ah Mau, and thats that, but if he wants Prior too.. well.. um.

I mentioned it before, but whether through injury/suspension/origin, everyone will get a bash... though have to admit I am keen to see this Miller which you are all going on about!

Note: Just occurs to me that without King/Fein available this week, he could even run with another forward, but this would leave us quite short if something goes wrong, but one positive for Prior is he can kind of fill in at Centre in a pinch.

hardbaby

Coach
Rev, that's where it gets really interesting. Given the injuries to Fien and King + my hatred of Young at hooker, the logical replacement for mine is Marketo. Good balls skills (playing five eight for the Cutters), good vision, pretty quick and great defence. I would choose him as our back up hooker in the interim. But guess where Marketo normally plays? You guessed it. Backrow. The plots thickens...

Minh

First Grade
Props: Weyman, Hunt, Merrin, Latimore, Ah Mau.

Back rowers: Prior, Scott, Creagh, Young, De Belin, Miller.

Not to mention a few other quality players, what an embarassment of riches in the forwards I like it a lot.;-)

Minh

First Grade
Young has pretty good utilty value and Scott and Prior can fill in at centre in an emergency.

TheRev

First Grade
Young has pretty good utilty value and Scott and Prior can fill in at centre in an emergency.

Yep, although Marketo might be the next obvious choice if he wants a 1for1 swap, Young is the other obvious replacement, since hes in the squad already...

Dont suppose Chase Stanley could cover hooker for 20 mins? Im a bit nervous about 4 forwards on the bench, but I suppose we do it every other week.

Reyter

Juniors
At this point I'm happy with whatever Price goes with. Bennett would have stuck with Scott in the centers and relied on defence to win the game. While it was successful for the first two years, by the end of last year the oppsotion had started to figure it out and there was seemingly no backup plan.

Minh

First Grade
Yep, although Marketo might be the next obvious choice if he wants a 1for1 swap, Young is the other obvious replacement, since hes in the squad already...

Dont suppose Chase Stanley could cover hooker for 20 mins? Im a bit nervous about 4 forwards on the bench, but I suppose we do it every other week.

That's where Nathan Fien was so valuable as a utility, he was a genuine hooker/half replacement. With 4 forwards on the bench Young or Marketo would have that utility value, but I think we would want to stick to the forwards that have done the job so well already this year. Chase Stanley would probably do a similar job to Kyle Stanley as a replacement hooker he probably wouldn't be the worst choice as the bench utility either.

giboz71

First Grade
I thought the forwards went great last week, and you’re right, win the ruck, win the game.
This is where we fell down last year. Our forwards fell away and teams were going straight through us. Saw it last night in the Tigers game as well, if your forwards don’t aim up, you lose. Simple. Why I love De Belin, a traditional hard nosed forward.
In terms of team selections, assuming Prior and De Belin are ready to go, Ah Mau makes way, and King and Fien are both injured, so there are your 2 spots (with Young taking up the backup hooker role). The interesting thing is, what happens when King and Fien are fit, who makes way? I think Latimore has earned a spot in the 17 and his size is a good asset. So that leaves Prior or Young? Prior has fresher legs and can cover the backline.
I love Deano and I’m sure he’ll get plenty of game time given injury/origin, but don’t think he’s in our top 17 at the moment IMO.

Minh

First Grade
I thought the forwards went great last week, and you’re right, win the ruck, win the game.
This is where we fell down last year. Our forwards fell away and teams were going straight through us. Saw it last night in the Tigers game as well, if your forwards don’t aim up, you lose. Simple. Why I love De Belin, a traditional hard nosed forward.
In terms of team selections, assuming Prior and De Belin are ready to go, Ah Mau makes way, and King and Fien are both injured, so there are your 2 spots (with Young taking up the backup hooker role). The interesting thing is, what happens when King and Fien are fit, who makes way? I think Latimore has earned a spot in the 17 and his size is a good asset. So that leaves Prior or Young? Prior has fresher legs and can cover the backline.
I love Deano and I’m sure he’ll get plenty of game time given injury/origin, but don’t think he’s in our top 17 at the moment IMO.

These are the most sensible choices it's gonna be a hard call but during the whole season there will be niggling injuries that sort these things out touch wood.

Cagey Mac

Bench
I think that the team will be
  • Moz
  • Vidot
  • Style (can play DH or halves)
  • Coops
  • Nighty
  • Sowie
  • Hornby
  • Hunt
  • Rein (lots more minutes)
  • Weyman
  • Prior (can play centre, has been playing 80 mins)
  • Creagh (has been playing 80 minutes)
  • Scott (can play centre)
  • Young (can play hooker, back row or 5/8 and will fill in a hooker for 15-20 mins)
  • Merrin
  • De Belin
  • Latimore

If De Belin’s should has not recovered Au Mau or Miller to come in
Easy and solid, maybe our best team this year if all fit

saint06

Juniors
Deano isn't in our top 17, however, he will never get dropped. He means too much to this club and the team.

I often have arguemments with my old man about what Deano offers to the team. He loves him, I don't share his passion for the man.

However, he does make one valid point (i would never admit it to him). Deano comes on and he lifts the team. He is our inspirtaional player - our Nathan Hindmarsh, or our Paul Gallen. As long as Deano continues to lift the team when he comes on, he'll always have a place in our 17.

Someone else has to make way.

giboz71

First Grade
Yep, agreed. The only others who could force their way into the side are Fien or King.

It's a good looking side, firepower in the forwards, smart halves, fast and elusive backs and creative dummy halves (even better when King/Fien return).

giboz71

First Grade
With regards to Deano, I guess you can't underestimate his value in terms of inspiration to the team.

But who makes way, presumably it will have to be Latimore or Prior? Or one of Fien/King when fit.

I have no problem with Deano in the team, but we have a more balanced side without him IMO.

bottle

Coach
Deano isn't in our top 17, however, he will never get dropped. He means too much to this club and the team.

I often have arguemments with my old man about what Deano offers to the team. He loves him, I don't share his passion for the man.

However, he does make one valid point (i would never admit it to him). Deano comes on and he lifts the team. He is our inspirtaional player - our Nathan Hindmarsh, or our Paul Gallen. As long as Deano continues to lift the team when he comes on, he'll always have a place in our 17.

Someone else has to make way.
Listen to your dad, he is wise.

hardbaby

Coach
Latimore is injured and out for a couple of weeks at last report.

Bummer. Very impressed with his play and I think guys like him and De Belin freshen up the team and put all of last year's forwards on notice. Bennett's gone and Price will pick players on form, not reputation.

We'll see how the boys go against the Broncos. Even without Parker that is a formidable pack. The next level up. I'm confident.

Reyter

Juniors
With regards to Deano, I guess you can't underestimate his value in terms of inspiration to the team.

But who makes way, presumably it will have to be Latimore or Prior? Or one of Fien/King when fit.

I have no problem with Deano in the team, but we have a more balanced side without him IMO.

He certainly doesn't have the impact of others but that isn't everything. He is very solid, makes very few mistakes, takes a lot of hit ups, doesn't miss tackles and get the occasional offload. Having said that, with Prior, Creagh and Scott playing 80minutes perhaps they would be better suited to have a player with greater impact coming off the bench.

Minh

First Grade
Dean Young was arguably our best forward in last years semi final loss to the Broncos. Some of his work was awe inspiring you could tell that every run he wanted to smash through a brick wall.