What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Big cats bare claws at Rabbits. (James Roberts,Dion Apps to play)

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...claws-at-rabbits/story-e6frexnr-1226065169556

169973-petero-civoniceva-matty-bell-sam-mckendry-tim-grant.jpg

Man mountains: Petero Civoniceva, Matty Bell, Sam McKendry and Tim Grant. Picture: Gregg Porteous Source: The Daily Telegraph

TIPPING the scales at a whopping 445kg, the monster Panthers pack that includes Petero Civoniceva, Tim Grant, Sam McKendry and Matty Bell will have a golden opportunity to steamroll the spare-parts Bunnies forwards tonight.

And inspirational skipper Petero Civoniceva yesterday said it was up to Penrith's big men to lead from the front and help the club soar up the NRL ladder.

The Panthers have been one of the disappointments this season, especially given the power and size of their big boppers. Only Canberra's pack could match them in those departments.That fierce reputation will be in tatters tonight if they struggle to get over the top of a South Sydney pack without Roy Asotasi, Sam Burgess, Luke Stuart and a host of others at Centrebet Stadium.

"When you've got guys like Roy Asotasi, Sam Burgess and some other big names missing, I guess this is the time (for Penrith to stand up)," Civoniceva said.

"But in saying that, Souths have still got some potency in that middle third and it will be a real battle for us. The challenge for us is standing up as a pack, and I know we'll do that.

"I've been really pleased with the development of guys like Sam McKendry and Tim Grant, who have both been rewarded with rep honours.

"We've also got Luke Lewis back and Trent Waterhouse is a leader in that pack.

"We've progressed well. We're just starting to hit our straps and feel we're one of the strongest packs around. Unfortunately, we haven't had the results to go with that.

"I feel we can mix it with anyone and that challenge is there for us tomorrow night."

Civoniceva said he had enjoyed five days recovery since helping Queensland to victory in Origin I and is keen to knuckle down for his club.

He admitted the coaching uncertainty over Matty Elliott had been a distraction at the start of the season and was partly to blame for the Panthers' sluggish start.

Now that the off-field issues have been resolved - even though a coach has not been appointed for next season - Civoniceva said it was time for the Panthers to string some wins together."We have plenty of good football left in us, and know we can get back up to where we should be," Civoniceva said.

Grant agreed with Civoniceva that the Panthers would not treat the Rabbitohs lightly.

"They've still got some big names who have played a lot more footy than me, Matty and Sammy," Grant said.

"You've got a guy like Ben Ross who played Origin. We've been going all right, but I think we can step it up a bit and put in that extra effort.

"We should have won last week against the Tigers. . It was a game we let slip and should have closed out. You try and do that every week, but it's getting to the point where it has to happen."The Bunnies trained last night but Greg Inglis is still a huge doubt to return from a hip injury.

Club director of athletic performance, Errol Alcott, said Inglis is restricted to rehab running and it is more likely he will be saved for Sunday's clash against his former club Melbourne Storm.

"He was always going to be a question mark, and I still think he's underdone," Alcott said.

Jason Clark (ankle) and Fetuli Talanoa (pneumonia) will also miss out, with James Roberts to slot on to the wing and Dion Apps likely to be called on to the bench.

Jimmy Smooth

Juniors
If panthers lose this they should have a very close look at each other. Were very very big underdogs, but i still think we can get the cookies. Depends if this rain keeps coming down this hard....