What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Big Hitting!

The Clan

Juniors
Is it just me or does there seem to be more big hits than usual in the Tri Series this year.

Apart from the normal run of the mill big defense being of a higher impact than usual we seem to be getting a fair few bone rattlers.

Kidwell on Mason
Gilmour made three big hits in the NZ v GB game of rnd 3.
Gareth Ellis has put some big ones in too none better than his bell ringer on Kidwell in game 5 today.

any others I've missed?

Nathan B

Juniors
The Clan said:
Is it just me or does there seem to be more big hits than usual in the Tri Series this year.

Apart from the normal run of the mill big defense being of a higher impact than usual we seem to be getting a fair few bone rattlers.

Kidwell on Mason
Gilmour made three big hits in the NZ v GB game of rnd 3.
Gareth Ellis has put some big ones in too none better than his bell ringer on Kidwell in game 5 today.

any others I've missed?

Ellis's hit on Kidwell was ten times better than Kidwell's hit on Mason.

For a start, it wasn't accidental.

screeny

Bench
GB are not big hitters. It's symptomatic of the gay standard of defending in SL. The occasional big hits from Gilmour and Ellis are so few and far between, in stark contrast to the Aus v NZ hit-o-ramas.

The Clan

Juniors
screeny said:
GB are not big hitters. It's symptomatic of the gay standard of defending in SL. The occasional big hits from Gilmour and Ellis are so few and far between, in stark contrast to the Aus v NZ hit-o-ramas.

So name me a big hit laid on by an Ausie in this series and please don't make me laugh by mentioning Mason!

screeny

Bench
The Clan said:
So name me a big hit laid on by an Ausie in this series and please don't make me laugh by mentioning Mason!

Civoniceva, O'Meley and O'Donnell have pulled off some good ones. If you're asking me to re-watch the matches and state the minute they occurred in....sorry, no can do.

Ever watch the 'big hits of SL' section in the season highlight DVD? There're about 3 tackles on it. SL doesn't have the same intensity, that's a fact.

The Clan

Juniors
screeny said:
Civoniceva, O'Meley and O'Donnell have pulled off some good ones. If you're asking me to re-watch the matches and state the minute they occurred in....sorry, no can do.

Ever watch the 'big hits of SL' section in the season highlight DVD? There're about 3 tackles on it. SL doesn't have the same intensity, that's a fact.

Thats no suprise cos all the hits are coming from the GB & NZ players!

Civoniceva may be capable of a big hit but don't give me O'Mealy and O'Donnell!

The only thing mouth almighty O'Mealy is capable of tackling is a big dinner by the look of him and he's the one Ausie that the Brits think is a joke!

O'Donell is a lucky lad to have got any where near an international team.

screeny

Bench
The Clan said:

The only thing mouth almighty O'Mealy is capable of tackling is a big dinner by the look of him and he's the one Ausie that the Brits think is a joke!

Look at how many times the GB players win the collision area...hardly ever. The Kiwi players virtually always get to elbows and knees or stomach to PTB. Even against Australia last week GB's defence, while solid, is more of an absorbing defence. They wrap up the player and ball without halting forward momentum.

The Aussies hit and wrap up ball and player and stop forward momentum as well.

SL defence is soft, and while GB has some good technical tacklers, in Ellis, Yeaman, Peacock et al, we don't dominate around the ruck enough.

Today was the best example possible, with NZ able to scoot and one-off the ruck us to death because of their quick PTB.

The Clan

Juniors
screeny said:
Look at how many times the GB players win the collision area...hardly ever. The Kiwi players virtually always get to elbows and knees or stomach to PTB. Even against Australia last week GB's defence, while solid, is more of an absorbing defence. They wrap up the player and ball without halting forward momentum.

The Aussies hit and wrap up ball and player and stop forward momentum as well.

SL defence is soft, and while GB has some good technical tacklers, in Ellis, Yeaman, Peacock et al, we don't dominate around the ruck enough.

Today was the best example possible, with NZ able to scoot and one-off the ruck us to death because of their quick PTB.

And Australias 24-0 loss last year is a good example of how they defend against a fired up Kiwi team.

The SL interpretation of the play the ball is whats responsable for the inbalance in controling the ruck. In SL the players have to clear the ruck much faster than in the NRL and its that conditioning which is hurting the GB players at the play the ball.

This thread though is not about technique so much its just about the increased regularity of big hits in the game!

screeny

Bench
The Clan said:
And Australias 24-0 loss last year is a good example of how they defend against a fired up Kiwi team.

The SL interpretation of the play the ball is whats responsable for the inbalance in controling the ruck. In SL the players have to clear the ruck much faster than in the NRL and its that conditioning which is hurting the GB players at the play the ball.

This thread though is not about technique so much its just about the increased regularity of big hits in the game!

Fair enough. Well, New Zealand win hands down then......

Nook

Bench
Ellis' hit on Kidwell was a cracker. Poor old Dave got up mouthing off and ran around after Ellis for the next 5 minutes but unless he leads with the back of his head he's a bit of a nuffy, to be honest.

On another note, good to see some traditional (and safe) one on one lifting from Yeaman out in the centres today. He was put in dodgy positions a couple of times on the fringes and could have read the play a little better but his one on one defence once he got there was superb. Another one to watch. Classy player - in that sense he reminds me of Ellis and O'Loughlin starting out in 03/04. Didn't stand out but did enough to show there would be plenty down the line.

Rotten Rooster

Juniors
The Clan said:

I must admitt well written and very funny man... but they deserve more credit then you give, I would class O'Mealy as an attacking forward not diffensive. He burns up alot of petrol from the oppsosition trying to take him down and he runs with heart (something that not many players do, I admire that)). O'Donnel is a tackling machine copy book style, watch how is always down low or driving into the rib cage. Tell me who would you play infront of them and why?

Kurt Angle

First Grade
I suppose it must be a facgor due to the week off.

In Christchurch, GB bashed the kiwis black and blue.. but it was the kiwis 3rd game in a row.

Tonight, GB just seem to run out of Steam. Now when you look at guys who have been impressive like Hock and Ellis, but they are slight of frame, and their bodies have been through some really intense physical contests that they wouldn't be accustomed to in SL.

Australia by plenty next week to ensure a killer final in Sydney.

KiWi_BoI_15

Juniors
Stewie Griffin said:
There would have been a couple if carroll was fit to play....:cry: :cry:

SBW too.

O'Donnell put in a few in Game 1 in Auckland. Its not really a hit but Asotasi bumping off O'Meley in Game 1, then bouncing off 'the worlds best prop Stuart Fielden' and throwin off Morley like a b***h in the same run in last nights game. :lol: :lol:

D

Deleted member 10972

Morley didn't really get an oppurtunity to put on any bone-rattlers. Ellis put that monster hit on Kidwell, & Kidwell proceeded to miss him 3 times in attempting redemption. Soli's monster hit to stop Fielden in his tracks was a beauty though, sent his head rocking back.

carlnz

Bench
Nathan B said:
Ellis's hit on Kidwell was ten times better than Kidwell's hit on Mason.

For a start, it wasn't accidental.

What ever fool...the hit really hurt kidwell.....