What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Big League are also silly billies!

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
I've been reading this week's "Official Publication of the NRL" for about 5 minutes and already a multitude of errors have popped up.

1- No Premier League scores from last weekend. They've stuck the HM and SG teams where the PL results usually sit and just didn't bother to stick em anywhere else.

2- In the contents on the front inside page, it's telling me under the program section to expect a review of Round 8 in the last three pages of that section.

3- page 14, the last page of the QLD rivalry story, the photo with the Bris and NQ supporters doing a funny gee-up - check out the caption
"Caption needed
to fill this
thanksCaption
needed to fill this"

4- more of a laugh - they've quoted Kimmorley as the deserving no.1 Australian halfback and now believe he's first choice for the job. :lol:

5- don;t make me mention the numerous bugger ups in the Rep Register...

6- They've listed Michael Witt above El Masri in top goalkickers - El's at 86% and Witt is at 76%. Goalkicker is measured first by number of goals, then by the percentage, then by team position on ladder. Another bugger up.

7- 4 weeks after it was announced, they still haven't edited the draw to change the SYD/CAN game from Aussie to CCS-Gosford.

being the Official rag of our great game you'd think they'd have a decent editing team. Bloody hopeless.

budz

Juniors
I think Kimmorley is the 1st choice for the job. I dont think Johns would be there even if he didnt break his jaw. I reckon Kimmorley will keep it for at least a year unless he gets injured.

Albinomonkey

Juniors
2. I don't see the problem
5. Yeh that's how they've always done it... Top Goalkickers - ie those who have "kicked" the most "goals"

Too bad you missed the unexplained Souths logo on the article about Matt Adamson (pg 11, after "chew'n the stats"

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
2. Last week was Round 9 not Round 8.

5. El Masri and Witt have both kicked 32 goals. El Masri however has a better percentage and therefore should read as first. BL have got this wrong.

And there's error 8. A Bunnies logo on a Canberra page. :lol:

Hurriflatch

Referee
1. It's someone we've come to expect from big league
2. See 1
3. See 1
4. Who has outplayed him? look at where the Sharks are on the ladder.
5. See 1
6. See 1
7. See 1

On the bright note for the 1st time in 5 years the Crossword seems fine.

Normally, they have missed about 3 questions and put in a question or two where they say the answer is a (6, 3) when in fact it's like (5, 4) or (7, 2)

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
well done on finding the faults, however, why don't you inform them so that next time you can get your moneys worth. Not much can be done about the mistakes here.

Azkatro

First Grade
Haven't noticed the caption on the John Cartwright story yet then have we? It's the best **** up of all :lol:

Ian Millward said:
WHO gives a ****. get a life

People who like to keep an eye on PL, and people who like accurate stats for there tips bets and fans who buy the mag expecting quality not innaccuracy's that are caused through laziness.

2nd post and your already making a f/wit of yourself.

Anyone want to place bets on how long til this tool gets thrown out?

McLovin

Staff member
Check out the Sharks stats on their matchup page with Canberra then check out Melbournes stats.

Hurriflatch

Referee
Notice how the week Parra have the bye the Big League goes down the crapper in terms of editing and proof reading

conincidence??????

I think........................NOT!!!

HevyDevy

Coach
As an employee of Big League, I can tell you all the following:

We hate it when these mistakes go through as much as you do, but:

Stats are supplied by NRL Stats, not us

The junior rep teams HAD to go somewhere this week and therefore some other tables and results etc had to be overlooked for the week - there was simply no room.

The other errors we're aware of and apologise for, but it would be better if you were in some way constructive with your criticisms rather than posting here as if you're a genius for finding the errors.

Incidentally, with every halfback in the competition available there is still no doubt Kimmorley would be first choice halfback on current form. Even before Joey broke his jaw Kimmorley was a certainty for the Test side - and deservedly so

That is all, feedback always appreciated :p

oldmancraigy

Coach
Connell said:
Check out the Sharks stats on their matchup page with Canberra then check out Melbournes stats.

I'm sorry - I haven't read Big League (too many errors :p ) - but I'm assuming that the Sharks stats and Melbournes stats are exactly the same??

HevyDevy said:

The junior rep teams HAD to go somewhere this week and therefore some other tables and results etc had to be overlooked for the week - there was simply no room.

What - do they give you the stats in a package, or do you draw from the stats and process them? Because when I look at NRL stats, they have markedly different statistics for Melbourne and for Cronulla!

As far as the junior rep teams go - I think perhaps a better solution would be to shorten another article rather than leave out PL results! Perhaps even an article on the junior rep teams might be in order?? (just trying to be constructive)

I guess in the end, there's bound to be some stage where a weekly publication has a 'shocker' - especially when there is such a short turnaround from final input (Tuesday arvo teams) to sale date!

HevyDevy

Coach
The main problem seems is that the majority of the magazine is thrown together in two days - after the weekend's games. So that does put the pressure on. That doesn't mean though that we dismiss the mistakes we make. We're not at all happy with the number of errors in this week's issue.

I'll keep in mind that everyone seems to want Premier League scores in every week. They'll be back in next week's issue apparently (no I'm not the editor but they'll be there).

The stats - well they all come in differently. The stats you see in stat attack are supplied in that format directly from NRL Stats and the designers here just flow the text in.

The stats down the side of the team pages are also supplied by NRL stats but need to be typed in manually on each page so whoever typed them in this week obviously stuffed up with Cronulla and Melbourne.

It's good to get this sort of constructive feedback though so thanks. Feel free to keep telling me what you like and don't like in the mag. We can't always promise to fulfil everyone's wishes but we're always trying to improve.

eelandia

Juniors
HevyDevy said:

The other errors we're aware of and apologise for, but it would be better if you were in some way constructive with your criticisms rather than posting here as if you're a genius for finding the errors.

Incidentally, with every halfback in the competition available there is still no doubt Kimmorley would be first choice halfback on current form. Even before Joey broke his jaw Kimmorley was a certainty for the Test side - and deservedly so

That is all, feedback always appreciated :p

But the crossword issue is a real pain. Often missing questions which comes down to attention to detail and not really good enough. If you are going to charge $4.50 per issue for a weekly mag then you need to sort the editing issues out, especially when punters have an alternative in RLW.

Azkatro

First Grade
sullyfan said:
In that case, some articles on Michael Sullivan and Michael Witt please. ;-)

Weren't you satisfied with that somewhat disturbing comic with the Footy Head kid asking Michael Sullivan questions in the shower a few weeks ago? :lol:

Azkatro

First Grade
HevyDevy said:
The main problem seems is that the majority of the magazine is thrown together in two days - after the weekend's games. So that does put the pressure on. That doesn't mean though that we dismiss the mistakes we make. We're not at all happy with the number of errors in this week's issue.

I'll keep in mind that everyone seems to want Premier League scores in every week. They'll be back in next week's issue apparently (no I'm not the editor but they'll be there).

The stats - well they all come in differently. The stats you see in stat attack are supplied in that format directly from NRL Stats and the designers here just flow the text in.

The stats down the side of the team pages are also supplied by NRL stats but need to be typed in manually on each page so whoever typed them in this week obviously stuffed up with Cronulla and Melbourne.

It's good to get this sort of constructive feedback though so thanks. Feel free to keep telling me what you like and don't like in the mag. We can't always promise to fulfil everyone's wishes but we're always trying to improve.

As a regular reader, I'd prefer the odd incorrect caption than the magazine not being on the shelves on Thursday morning. So long as the stats are correct, which is obviously an important thing not to typo!