What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Biggest disappointment of 2016 regular season

Biggest disappointment of 2016 regular season

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Slackboy72

Coach
2016 has seen some pleasant surprises (Raiders, Panthers and Titans) but it has seen more than its fair share of disappointments. I was wallowing on how awful the Dragons have been this year but then I remembered just how awful the year has been for Souths and Easts. I started wondering if we were more disappointing than Souths who were expecting the return of Sam Burgess to return them to the top 4. Or what about the minor premiers the last three seasons in Easts? How did they end up where they were?

So because misery loves company I'll let you all choose from the losers of the regular round and give my pros and cons.
Feel free to add your own opinions on what went wrong for any team.

9th West Tigers
Against: People had this team tipped to compete for the spoon. Internal ructions were overcome.
For: After recovering from a 2-6 start they needed to win their last home game and ... and ... ugh.
Lowlights: Two 50+ point floggings to Canberra and the only team to lose to Newcastle.

10th NZ Warriors
Against: Warriors are perennial almost men it seems. Just missing out is sort of expected now.
For: New high profile recruits to an already talented roster promised so much for 2016.
Lowlights: Only winning 4 of their first 11 games really made finals a remote chance however they somehow found themselves in the 8 with four weeks to go.

11th St George Illawarra Dragons
Against: With such a terrible attacking record to be only 3 points off the 8 says something (doesn't it?)
For: 2nd worst attack in the comp. It was truly the most abysmal thing you could see from a team with Benji Marshall at 5/8. Support play was non-existent.
Lowlights: Only won 2 of their last 9. Getting poleaxed by the Roosters when only one team had something more than pride to play for. Oh and #oust_doust & #mcgrexit.

12th South Sydney Rabbitohs
Against: Were far more often than not having a red hot crack and they are still one of the more competitive and capable sides in the league.
For: They expected so much more especially with big Sam returning.
Lowlights: Lost 9 in a row. Had 50 put on them by the Raiders.

13th Manly-Warringah Sea Eagles
Against: Manly are clearly re-building
For: Some people tipped this team to be top 4 bound (I don't know why).
Lowlights: 7 losses in a row left them 4-11 at one stage.

14th Parramatta Eels
Against: They played the best football of all the teams on this list and if it wasn't for circumstances getting out of hand would have been in the finals.
For: Regardless of how it happened, to see this team dropped to 14th has to be disappointing. Would have made the 8 if not for losing points.
Lowlights: Losing 12 points, a hooker, a 5/8, a fullback, a winger, a board and a stadium. 2016 was hell for Eels fans.

15th Sydney City Roosters
Against: They were very competitive for a lot of the year and lost a lot of close games.
For: They were the minor premiers for 2013-15. Their roster is still very good compared to most clubs.
Lowlights: Mitchell Pearce's canophilic antics and the effect his absence had on the team.

16th and last Newcastle Knights
Against: The squad they had wasn't expected to do much.
For: The squad they had wasn't expected to do much but no-one expected this little.
Lowlights: Only 1 win for the year. Skill levels at times were atrocious.

Last edited:

Meapro Ham

Juniors
Biggest single disappointing performance had to be Tigers today. Did well to get to the 9th and overall it's a pretty reasonable season for them. But to concede 50 in front of a capacity Leichardt crowd with a finals spot on the line, doesn't get more disappointing than that.

Danny-Boy

Juniors
Warriors.

Everybody expected Newcastle to be shit. Roosters, Souffs, and Manly all had a lot of injuries throughout the season. Saints and Tigers over achieved reaching 24/26 points. Parra lost points otherwise they'd be in the 8.

Shorty

Staff member
Warriors are disappointing each and every year (sometimes through bad luck etc).
They have Broncos level talent but things just never go according to plan.
Their fans must be laid back as f**k.

I must admit I enjoyed the reception of the Cows winning their 1st premiership however I think a Warrior's premiership would bring the entire league community together.

Souths would be second....look lethargic all year!

I Bleed Maroon

Referee
The Warriors just piss me off now. Absolutely no desire to win at all. Earning the pay cheque and that's it, just as it's always been

The_Shield

Juniors
Warriors easily. With the talent they have, plus the additions of Luke and RTS, many expected a big year and they underachieved massively. Rabbitohs also a contender for biggest disappointment

No mention of Roosters?

Minor premiers to second last is one of the biggest slides ever.

I reckon if you said at the start of the year both the Warriors and Roosters were going to miss the eight, more people would be shocked about the Roosters.

Slackboy72

Coach
No mention of Roosters?

I reckon if you said at the start of the year both the Warriors and Roosters were going to miss the eight, more people would be shocked about the Roosters.

I'm pretty sure I've mentioned them above.

txta2

Bench
Got to be the Dragons not making the finals. With a super coach , a special 5/8th and a hardened criminal playing prop they really should of cracked the top 4.

Knightmare

Coach
The perennial underachiever culture at the Warriors is a great case for a second NZ NRL team in Wellington. Maybe then it'll put a boot up the arse and stop Warriors players and admin just assuming that a whole nation has their back no matter what...

Red Bear

Referee
Warriors for the last four weeks. Tigers Have been pretty poor in that time also, but overall have gone a lot better than many expected this season.

Dragons were always going to be crap, Roosters with injuries/suspensions on top of player loss was also going to be a step backwards. Knights were going to be crap but they were pretty spectacularly poor.

Souths also, they had there diminished depth on display. A few key injuries and they were derailed until the last month.

Bazal

Post Whore
I don't think we were disappointing, as a fan. We'd have been 5th if not for our administration. In the face of everything, I think this has been a super season on the field.

I'm gutted that the disgraceful behaviour of our admin cost us everything this year, but I'm by no means disappointed in the boys that took the field. Brad Arthur is a saint

Slackboy72

Coach
I don't think we were disappointing, as a fan. We'd have been 5th if not for our administration. In the face of everything, I think this has been a super season on the field.

I'm gutted that the disgraceful behaviour of our admin cost us everything this year, but I'm by no means disappointed in the boys that took the field. Brad Arthur is a saint

How I wish that were true...

some11

Referee
No mention of Roosters?

It's forgivable because they can go back the other direction in the space of a season, like 13th to premiers.

Warriors are groan inducing and will win this award until they decide they genuinely want to win something.

Spade

Juniors
RTS and Luke joining NZ most thought would lead them into the 8 or even top 4. Both looked overweight at the start of the season which speaks volumes about the place.

Latest posts