What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Billy Slater. What would you pay?

duck

Juniors
885628DE-24BB-43A9-ABB6-07256D10C9CF_zpstk79skuk.jpg

Give him $20 billion.

Best fullback ever. Currently best fullback on the planet. Still.

mickeylane

Bench
Youve made some predictions and statements on this forum....but this one takes the cake.......Changa couldnt defend like Slater....laughable......as I said during the week you are either a real estate agent or a car salesman....I was partly wrong you now leave me in no doubt you must be a USED car salesman
Your joking aren't you comparing Changas defence to Billy Slaters defence - who has been acknowledgment by every expert as the greatest defensive fullback ever - not sure if U have ever seen Changa play - a champion he was but not a patch on Slater as a defender! Now stop dribbling

Crush

Coach
Best fullback in my generation no doubt. He is the full package. Positionally perfect in defense, always in the right spot to defuse kicks. In attack he has that swerve where he can just run around players. His number one attribute though is speeeeeeeed. He runs at a different pace than everyone else. Barba had the pace but wasn't half the defensive player. Teddy looks like being the next best thing but still has flaws in his game.
Slater WAS a champion but his career is almost over.
JT the same, those guys are finished now.

St Tangles

Bench
He is in no hurry to sign anything as he is seeing how his shoulder holds up.

If they win the GF I wouldn't be surprised if he hangs his boots up.

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
Your joking aren't you comparing Changas defence to Billy Slaters defence - who has been acknowledgment by every expert as the greatest defensive fullback ever - not sure if U have ever seen Changa play - a champion he was but not a patch on Slater as a defender! Now stop dribbling
Stop dribbling thats a laugh from the best dribbler on the forum... and that I might add is not just my opinion but from many others on here.....start reading your replies and you will get my point......name all these so called experts that acknowledge that Slater is the greatest defensive fullback ever or is this another of your fantasies to prop up your argument....and as for your stupid statement that your not sure if I ever saw Langlands play Ive been a Dragons supporter for over 60 years Sonny and never missed a club game that he played in and I might add a lot of Test games as well....If you go back through my posts you will find that most times I respect others points of view on here and dont usually get into debates and arguments with those that at times talk rubbish...but in your case this time I have made an exception .....its obvious by your posts that you havnt been around long.....and lastly you wont have to worry about my so called dribbling as I have now placed you on the dont reply to list along with Dino and Objective View.....oh sorry thats right OV couldnt cut the mustard and bailed .....now back to reading and replying to my mates and fellow supporters on here that know Rugby League

epDragon62

First Grade
Best fullback in my generation no doubt. He is the full package. Positionally perfect in defense, always in the right spot to defuse kicks. In attack he has that swerve where he can just run around players. His number one attribute though is speeeeeeeed. He runs at a different pace than everyone else. Barba had the pace but wasn't half the defensive player. Teddy looks like being the next best thing but still has flaws in his game.
Slater WAS a champion but his career is almost over.
JT the same, those guys are finished now.
Crush, how can you assess him to be a has been? Qld do not win on Wed without Slater there, pure and simple.

Watch the last try how he speeds across the field to create space that leads to a brilliant inside flick by Morgan to Gagai. No Slater, no space, no try, no win!!!

Slater may only have another year in him but I'd take him in a flash for that one year with an option. I won't happen but I'm flabbergasted that people wouldn't take him. If only we could get him next year I'd be prepared to take the risk.

As for being a grub, f**k off you lot, he is no worse that many other players although he has had some highlighted poor form such as the flying kick and putting the feet in the way for tries. Some of you forget that you would've seen so much more of Slater than many other players because he has been so good that he is in the spot light.

You want a grub, I present you Justin Hodges, early days Gallen, Bird ...

Last edited:

Crush

Coach
Crush, how can you assess him to be a has been? Qld do not win on Wed without Slater there, pure and simple.

What the last try how he speeds across the field to create space that leads to a brilliant inside flick by Morgan to Gagai. No Slater, no space, no try, no win!!!

Slater may only have another year in him but I'd take him in a flash for that one year with an option. I won't happen but I'm flabbergasted that people wouldn't take him. If only we could get him next year I'd be prepared to take the risk.

As for being a grub, f**k off you lot, he is no worse that many other players although he has had some highlighted poor form such as the flying kick and putting the feet in the way for tries. Some of you forget that you would've seen so much more of Slater than many other players because he has been so good that he is in the spot light.

You want a grub, I present you Justin Hodges, early days Gallen, Bird ...
I don't think he is a has been I was just saying from the cubs perspective his career is almost over so I wouldn't be signing him even for one year.
Won't happen anyways.

mickeylane

Bench
Stop dribbling thats a laugh from the best dribbler on the forum... and that I might add is not just my opinion but from many others on here.....start reading your replies and you will get my point......name all these so called experts that acknowledge that Slater is the greatest defensive fullback ever or is this another of your fantasies to prop up your argument....and as for your stupid statement that your not sure if I ever saw Langlands play Ive been a Dragons supporter for over 60 years Sonny and never missed a club game that he played in and I might add a lot of Test games as well....If you go back through my posts you will find that most times I respect others points of view on here and dont usually get into debates and arguments with those that at times talk rubbish...but in your case this time I have made an exception .....its obvious by your posts that you havnt been around long.....and lastly you wont have to worry about my so called dribbling as I have now placed you on the dont reply to list along with Dino and Objective View.....oh sorry thats right OV couldnt cut the mustard and bailed .....now back to reading and replying to my mates and fellow supporters on here that know Rugby League
Mate I've lived thru the 1970-75 seasons watching Langland play -
Paul Kent
Wayne Bennett
Wally Lewis
Roy Masters
Andrew Johns
Have all confirmed publicly Billy Slater as the greatest defensive fullback ever!
Just accept it.
Players in 2017 are bigger, faster, stronger, than players in the 70s - I've accepted it you should also accept it!

In respect to Dragons I doubt you have more red and white blood in your veins than mine.

I've not only funded the club as a long term sponsor, I've worked at the club for over 6 years and been involved with some of the junior feeder clubs identifying talent for the club - put ur red and white scarf, beanie and water bottle back in the closet and give urself an uppercut!
#amateur

Life's Good

Coach
We must be going bad that we are now up to 3 pages for something is a mere pipe dream, clutching at straws type of thread. Oh how the mighty have fallen.

epDragon62

First Grade
Paul Kent
Wayne Bennett
Wally Lewis
Roy Masters
Andrew Johns
Have all confirmed publicly Billy Slater as the greatest defensive fullback ever!
Just accept it.
Players in 2017 are bigger, faster, stronger, than players in the 70s - I've accepted it you should also accept it!

In respect to Dragons I doubt you have more red and white blood in your veins than mine.

I've not only funded the club as a long term sponsor, I've worked at the club for over 6 years and been involved with some of the junior feeder clubs identifying talent for the club - put ur red and white scarf, beanie and water bottle back in the closet and give urself an uppercut!
#amateur
Onya Mickey, love your commitment and support for the mighty Red V!!

Walpole

Juniors
If Slater had played his entire career in the Red V absolutely nobody on here would be calling him a grub or any other such nonsense. We'd be talking about the extra couple of premierships he'd won us and how to fit him into the all-time greatest Dragons team (I'm guessing we'd move Changa to the centres to get him and Billy in the same team).

2010Dragons

Bench
Yeah your right he looked shit on Wed.. Average player.. Can't run, pass, tackle..
Your kidding aren't you !!!!
the greatest fullback of all time - Changa couldn't defend like Slater.. Everything else attacking wise equal!!
You have to be careful criticising champions you look stupid and sounds like you don't know anything about the game !
I never said he was an average player.....you said that.
I never said he can't run,pass or tackle....you said that
I did say he was the best Fullback is his young days. He is good but not as good as before.
Comparing Changa to Slater is wrong...both from a different era and different style/rules of Rugby League.
As a child I watched Changa play, and think I have maybe just a little more history than you Mickey ! LOL
I love how you assume things and make up your own stories....lol. Your too funny.

Last edited:

1st & 10

Juniors
Paul Kent
Wayne Bennett
Wally Lewis
Roy Masters
Andrew Johns
Just accept it.

#amateur

Love ya comments Mickey.

I've followed since Kindy early 80s. I played, didn't get graded, but came through the old intense junior system. I loved Roy Masters, Tom Berry, Brian Smith, Scott Campbell, Peter O'Sullivan and John Conway. And special mention to half Steve Robinson. Robbo really got me going in the game by a simple school visit. He was awesome. Guys like Damien Chapman,Cameron Wade and Jim Lenihan, Lawrence Raleigh so encouraging to the younger players and good mates. Great coaches, trainers etc and were so kind and understanding to players . Even when you eventually get the "tap" on the shoulder after horrible injuries.

Special note about Jason Donnelly, probably the rudest player I encounted
Thought he was a legend and better than everyone else

Brad Mackay, great guy even with the tragic passing of his wife, Jo. Now a great fireman in the shire.

I see your point about Billy, but at this time youth is the answer. Billy, unfortunately is high risk of one hit and over. I just think of the Nathan Long signing . Sure, Billy is a future immortal, but at that time Long was a gun.

Go Hurstville United!!!!

Last edited: