What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Billy Smith

Gareth67

First Grade
One of the Dragons best ever players - half or center , he always gave his scheming best to the Red & Whites . Early part of his career he played in the back line , eventually moving to the halfback position to form a potent attack and defense partnership with Johnny Raper .

Together they were responsible for many tries and linked with Johnny King the winger . One of my favorite memories is when the Dragons would win the ball after a scrum , where Smith would get the ball , then a short pass to Raper whilst Smith would continue to run to the open side ( as if he still had the ball in his possession ) drawing the defense with him whilst Raper continued to the blind side and pass the ball to King who would score .

So pleased for him with this honor , one that he so richly deserves .

Last edited:

Inisai Toga

Juniors
Pound for pound one of the best all round footballers i’ve seen. So tough and clever. His partnership with Langlands had to be seen to be believed. Never forget the 1971 Final when they combined to sink minor premiers Manly to march into the Grand Final through their almost telepathic collaboration. Well deserved!

Illusion

Bench
Pound for pound one of the best all round footballers i’ve seen. So tough and clever. His partnership with Langlands had to be seen to be believed. Never forget the 1971 Final when they combined to sink minor premiers Manly to march into the Grand Final through their almost telepathic collaboration. Well deserved!
They were the days my friend ..... If its high enough its long enough and its straight between the posts .... Oh Danny Boy .... ;)

SEAT 1A

Bench
I was working in Engadine many moons ago and the great man walks in and my jaw dropped just seeing Dragons royalty.

I think he was a courier as he returned a few times. I thought I would bring my Never Before book in for the next time.

On second thoughts, I didn't bring it in as I didn't want to intrude.

Anyway, a mate new a mate and at Christmas time I was given his book with a lovely message from Billy.

Champion bloke, doing something for a random supporter.

denis preston

First Grade
Apart from everything else very brave ( or foolish ! ) His speciality was to use his speed to get between defenders then draw one in and pass at the last second to set his outside support up unmarked. Over & over again Billy would get crushed to the ground for this. Bit different to a guy we have now being paid a year what he got in his career and would pass when the defence is 10 metres away !

Drakon

Juniors
Changa was my favourite back in the day but Billy was a close second. Many fond memories of the combination those two had. Smithy just knew where Chang would be. Tough as teak. Never took a backward step. Used to be a cellar man at Caringbah Inn and I worked behind the bar at a Christmas party they had for the staff one year. Lets just say that Smithy likes a beer!

Well before my time so I don’t have any idea of how he played. I was having a beer at Caringbah pub with one of my uncles (Wests fan) who waxed about him and told me how great he was. I ended up having a quick chat to him about the upcoming round. He didn’t seem too enthused about the modern game but did spark up a bit about Mark Gasnier at the time.

He must’ve been at least 6 schoo’s deep though. I remember that!