What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bird and Holmes on Fox Sports 2 now

Weaponhead

Coach
Holmes is quality. Dropped a couple of balls but just so dangerous in attack. 2 tries, the second a really good finish.

Bird was OK. Good balance and seems to bounce off tacklers

The fullback Gutherson from Manly was shit.

Griffoshark66

First Grade
Holmes is quality. Dropped a couple of balls but just so dangerous in attack. 2 tries, the second a really good finish.

Bird was OK. Good balance and seems to bounce off tacklers

The fullback Gutherson from Manly was shit.

Agree. The full back was terrible. Continually dropped the ball. Possibly the worst haircut in footy too.

Special K

Coach
I think what we do with Bird and Holmes next year is going to be extremely interesting. I've followed Bird since he was 16 and he was the best player in his age group, the rest of the pack has caught up but he is still an elite talent for his age. Holmes we all know about.

I have little faith in this clubs ability to continue both of their development given "it's a game for incumbents". If they get stuck behind Aidsford and Brown we will lose both and continue to suck. We are in for another long year next year but these kids need game time. We have zero future planning - our backrow stocks is proof of that.

If there was an NRL draft both Holmes and Bird would be at the top end of the draft. Moving forward we have at the start of next season - Bird (20), Holmes (19), Fifita (25), Graham (24) all of whom have the potential to be very special NRL players. Then the next tier down we have Feki(24), Gagan (23) and Brown (20) who look like NRL players. We have a shit load of salary cap space now "the highest ever paid Shark" is gone in Carney and we could completely change the look of our ageing squad.

Gordon, Brown and Robson suit the grinding Flanno style of football. All solid middle of the road NRL quality guys... We need a change.

Surely

Post Whore
I think Holmes could become a great 5/8 for us.

He's got speed to cut through a gap but more importantly a brain and great vision

southland

Juniors
Great to see Bird and Holmes connecting...

Heres hoping for 2015 we start Holmes on one of the wing spots and switch him with Gordon for set attacking moves... He has earned his place in the starting side...

Potentially Bird could play as our 14. coming on for Leutele or into the 2nd row... Bird does look babyfaced hope he is ready for some 1st grade action in 2015...

cb4

First Grade
I like the dilemma we have for next year, slotting Holmes, Feki and Gagan into the team.
I would give the early running to Feki and Gagan, but that's not to say one of them couldn't make the transition to centre, both are naturals. Considering we are looking for a right centre, I would put Gagan there as he is a natural right player.

I watched the game, can't say Bird lived up to George's hype, he was solid without being spectacular. You can tell he has spent his entire career in the forwards and is now adjusting to the backs.
No problem with him starting the year in NSW cup to ply his trade.

chewsta

First Grade
I think Holmes could become a great 5/8 for us.

He's got speed to cut through a gap but more importantly a brain and great vision

100% agree with this!
He can throw some great long accurate passes too.

Card Shark

Immortal
I watched the game, can't say Bird lived up to George's hype, he was solid without being spectacular. You can tell he has spent his entire career in the forwards and is now adjusting to the backs.
No problem with him starting the year in NSW cup to ply his trade.

Yes he didn't standout.

Looked a bit lost in the centres at times but can tackle & loves to work...suppose that was the forward coming out in him.

Feej

First Grade
If Bird isn't in the centres and Holmes on the wing we have f**king rocks in our heads.

You know what's gonna happen, right??

520626-625e8a70-7368-11e4-bbe7-27f38624ba7e.jpg

Forty20

First Grade
I'd prefer Holmes at fullback

As an outsider I agree with this completely. Holmes is a kid you want getting his hands on the ball as much as possible. Good speed, wicked footwork and a lovely pass...sure he'll do fine on the wing but he could do so much more for you in the #1.

Not sure what you do with Gordon, be it push him to the centres or out to pasture but I reckon it is one of those tough calls that could define Flanagan's career.

Bird looks like a damn good get as well.

I prefer this situation trying to figure out who to leave out before we would shudder with who got picked.

The other question is did Todd Murphy do enough yet to be given a crack at half over Robson, hard to line up 9's form but he seemed steady and he can boot the bloody ball.

webShark

Yes he didn't standout.

Looked a bit lost in the centres at times but can tackle & loves to work...suppose that was the forward coming out in him.

Can't agree with you Card or CB. I think Bird did live upto his hype. Plus a mention for Matt Prior. Often bagged , but played damn well. As did Ayshford who I admit, I think is poor.