What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bird Contract

wibble

Bench
Slight change of subject, but here are 19 reasons why I don't think we'll miss Bird:..
...THREE-PEAT, y'all!!

20. Flanagan is the best recruiter and gets the best out of his troops out of any coach in the NRL

21. The Sharks have a stable, sensible, success seeking board and CEO

Basically, all our team is quality, coaching is great, and the club is good off the field, so if we can keep the same good spine for a number of years, we will compete every year until something drastic changes all of these things.

@wibble
Good point about the spine.
If Humph and Brails kick on they will need Jimmy there for their first couple of years. Chad too will help in the transition phase. Then when Jimmy's time is up we'll have young players already warmed to take more control and the steady ship in Chad.
This could be one of the ways the club is thinking.

2012....Sharks Year

First Grade
Jimmy Maloney is the key.

Do not let him go to the open market next year.

We should be offering him a two year extention which means with his last year of his contract next year we lock him up for the 2018, 2019 and 2020 seasons.
Jimmy for 3 more years would be ideal timing to gradually blood second Brailey and young Flanno assuming they keep progressing.

Jimmy for 3 more years would be ideal timing to gradually blood second Brailey and young Flanno assuming they keep progressing.

We have had some cracking signings in Barba and Ennis but for me without doubt the guy that has got the team into a winning culture is BBQ.

As long as he's in our squad each year I'm confident we'll be there at the pointy end of the season.

Stake Removed

First Grade
Each year we blood a player and it works out

Brailey
Capewell
Bird
Holmes

Last 4 years, with any luck we see another 1 -2 next year, our junior teams always in finals, just keep getting 1-2 per year thats all you need.

As someone stated above Flanno great recruiter, and thats players of all levels depending on what we need and how much we have to spend.

We are now the envy of the rest of the league

Maccas4177

Juniors
We have had some cracking signings in Barba and Ennis but for me without doubt the guy that has got the team into a winning culture is BBQ.

As long as he's in our squad each year I'm confident we'll be there at the pointy end of the season.

The best signing without a doubt has been Lyle Gorman with Maloney a close second!

wibble

Bench

I agree.

Maloney is the best halve I have ever seen play for the Sharks. And as such, is probably the most important player we have ever had, at least since I've followed Rugby League (even if not the best, though he may be that, too).

I think Ennis and Barba were key to last year, but we had a magnificent squad across the board, and we still do. I thought they might be hard to replace, but I'm gaining confidence that we may come close, and everyone else lifting a few percent covers the rest.

But I can not imagine effectively replacing Maloney over the next few years if we don't extend him. What are the odds of "developing" a 5/8, or buying one from another club, who is the best 5/8 in the game? We already have the best 5/8, keep him until he retires.

Townsend isn't in that class yet, but is developing so well, don't break up the combos. I'm with bad boy bubby, re-sign him for a good few years also. A stable, top shelf halves pairing is such a solid basis for a team, we would have to fall off a cliff off field or with recruiting not to be a regular finals contender with them together, in form.

Card Shark

Immortal
I thought they might be hard to replace, but I'm gaining confidence that we may come close, and everyone else lifting a few percent covers the rest.

To me, the hardest thing about going back to back is getting the players out of the "we did it" party mode & focused on the new season.

Players will say there are but i don't think I've seen it in 20 years where premiers have played as good or better the following year, they usually drop off 5 to 10% in enthusiasm & commitment imo.

If we are actually lifting to offset the loss of Ennis & Barba, as you suggest, there is no reason we can't we there in October running out to defend our title.

Card Shark

Immortal
@wibble
Good point about the spine.
If Humph and Brails kick on.

Gotta give credit to Brailey. We have hardly missed a beat with him there.

Sure, Ennis was a very smart player - in more ways than 1, but in a structured / cohesive team like ours, this starts at dummy half & it could've hurt us big time to lose that.

I can't recollect him throwing a bad pass....imagine replacing Ennis with Lichha?

carcharias

Immortal
Brailey will be better than Ennis
That inside ball to gal ( which I doubt he got down ) was all Ennis.
I'm assuming Ennis worked with him on it.
He is one the club has to keep.
Top priority.
In ten years he could be anything.

cb4

First Grade
The best signing without a doubt has been Lyle Gorman with Maloney a close second!
The best signing we have made was Luke Lewis.
He brought the winning culture and mentality to the players.
Lyall sorted the rest out. Without Lewis though, we wouldn't have had the right mindset to be anything more than competitive.

Replacing him will be one of the hardest things this club has to do.

Eion

First Grade
The best signing we have made was Luke Lewis.
He brought the winning culture and mentality to the players.
Lyall sorted the rest out. Without Lewis though, we wouldn't have had the right mindset to be anything more than competitive.

Replacing him will be one of the hardest things this club has to do.
He's saying he wants to run around again, so we may not need to worry for another year. I'd definitely give Lewie another year (he's not going to want huge bucks). If Gal wants to go around, him too.

Unfortunately this has to be heigno's last year...even if he wants to go around again.