What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bizarre Emails, SMSs and Phone Calls.

Over the past few weeks I've received an increasing number of strange shit on my phone.

Allegedly from "organisations" such as Amazon, Westpac, ANZ, Bendigo Bank, Coles to name a few. I don't have any accounts with these fakes. Saying I've got a delivery pending or an account balance of $XXX. Obviously I don't open these emails.

More recently phone calls with automated messages from Amazon and a roofing contractor from Melbourne's CBD plus emails from Rockmans and Miller's. Sorry I'm not a crossdresser.

Anybody experiencing the same problems?

Mojo

Bench
I get several bs SMSs daily and these days if I get a call to my mobile from a number that's not already in my contacts I only answer 'hello'. I never even give so much as my first name to any caller I don't already know.

Incorrect

Coach
Over the past few weeks I've received an increasing number of strange shit on my phone.

Allegedly from "organisations" such as Amazon, Westpac, ANZ, Bendigo Bank, Coles to name a few. I don't have any accounts with these fakes. Saying I've got a delivery pending or an account balance of $XXX. Obviously I don't open these emails.

More recently phone calls with automated messages from Amazon and a roofing contractor from Melbourne's CBD plus emails from Rockmans and Miller's. Sorry I'm not a crossdresser.

Yeah I've been getting those for a few months. I actually love to play along ... Sometimes you get the automated message with the voice saying you have a delivery pending from Amazon and your credit card is about to be charged for $2500.00 USD or whatever, and if you want to talk to an operator, press 1.... So I do. And then you get patched through to some noisy call centre I can only think is in the sub-continent... And then they start talking and I just pretend that I have ordered something to the value of $2500 USD and I start yelling at them asking where the f**k it is and when is it going to turn up!!

The confusion in their voice from that moment on is gold!!!

horrie hastings

First Grade
Get plenty of messages that my package is going to be delivered or is on it away, 99.9 % of the time the spelling mistakes in the text s from what is supposed to be an official company or delivery service are hilarious so i know it's fake so i just block the number.

@SLRBRONCOS buddy tells me he’s made a small fortune sending texts to strangers selling non existent buttplugs.

He reckons he can afford to drive to work each day on the proceeds.

Bullshit I reckon, petrol is too expensive.

My buttplug arrived. The Harry edition. 4 stars.

You should try the Tedesco one, it’s got these tentacles at the end and you pull a string and it says;

“ Dont you know who I am?” on repeat.

You should have been at game day thread for the politician debate last night.

Then again, I heard that the Lego show covered more important issues.

Nuke

Staff member
Those phonecall ones use some kind of digital mask to cover what number they are actually calling from.

I got a few of those ones within a few days last year sometime, so this particular day I had had enough and spoke to the guy who was telling me my account was about to expire or some rubbish. I said I don't have an account. "Yes you do, sir. It's about to expire". So I said "So if you have all my details there, who am I? What's my name?" They hung up.
So I called the number straight away, just for shits 'n' giggles! A little old lady answered, and it was obvious that her number had been used as the mask. I apologised and hung up.
Funny thing is, later that same day I got a call from a fella who was doing the exact same thing as I had done that morning! So my number had been used as a mask too.

Presumably all of our mobile numbers gets used in this way too.

My wife once got a phonecall from herself.
We were about to go out and her phone rings. The number on the screen was her own. She couldn't work out how she was phoning herself!

And yeah, I must get most days a terribly spelled, gramatically incorrect text message telling me I have a voicemail message from my doctor (I don't have a doctor), or my boss (who is often in the next room when I get those ones at work).

Thing is, as obviously scammy as they are, there must be enough people falling for them in order for them to keep doing it.

The wife she gets a call with the heavy breathing at 10pm each night it goes on for about 15 minutes. She’s smiling and breathes back. It’s like a darth Vader convention.

Then i try to grab the fone off of her so I can ask @This Year? what his tips are for the weekend.

A few weeks ago I got a bunch of calls from numbers with 12 to 15 digits. They don't exist. When I rang the numbers, I got the usual message "Optus advises you that the number you are calling is incomplete or does not exist" or something to that effect.

Weird.

I got a fake call from the tax office once, but I had a real tax debt at the time. Lol

Of all the millions of calls these shitbags make, he called the wrong person.

There’s plenty of the good vengeance videos on the metube.

Ps: try to avoid owing the ATO tax if you can. It’s a hassle.

Things are getting stranger by the hour.

Just got a call from a number almost exactly the same as mine. Say my mobile number ends in 000 - this one ended in 063.

Did a search for the number and it came up as Salam Driving School based in Bonnyrigg, NSW.

Strange as I live in Melbourne and have held a driver's licence since 1975.

Just got a call from a number almost exactly the same as mine. Say my mobile number ends in 000 - this one ended in 063.

Did a search for the number and it came up as Salam Driving School based in Bonnyrigg, NSW.

I did some research and found the alleged culprit:

C1D9FDA3-9AD9-410A-936D-2BC691579C8C.jpeg

But maybe it’s Russian hackers and your number is only a couple of digits away from Bidens.

Ring back and bring about world peace!

The Mitsubishi Magna was my learner vehicle. My instructor was this strict German guy -but prone to road rage.

I was more scared of him than of having an accident. He used to slowly tense up and I knew I was for it when we finished. He’d go through his list of my traffic offences.

But it explains why I haven’t had a single at fault accident in 30 years. Too afraid he will find out!

Passed first go, he was fantastic!

Last edited:

Nuke

Staff member

I've had them as well.
A few times I've gotten a call from a phone number that's exactly the same as mine except for the last couple of digits, and even then, those last couple of digits were almost the same as mine.

bubs

Juniors

The fake links being SMS'd your phones are the 'FLUBOT' virus. Designed to rip passwords and banking details and address lists and other nastiness. DELETE immediately. Do not click.
The fake phone calls are generally from Indian scammers. Don't get me wrong about the Indian people, it's just a fact that a large amount of these calls originate from India, either Calcutta or West Bengal. Highly organised, these lowlifes scam millions of $ from people worldwide. There is tonnes of informative information on Youtube, and people who fight them.
Amazon scams come in a couple of ways. Either a subscription for something you don't use, or more likely, a Refund Scam. You 'apply' for a refund for something you didn't order, they manipulate the coding on your computer to show a refund has been paid to your bank over the agreed amount, and demand you refund the amount immediately, usually via gift cards which can't be refunded once issued. Slimebags.
Google 'Hindi Swear Words', and throw a few of them back at these dregs of society.

The fake links being SMS'd your phones are the 'FLUBOT' virus. Designed to rip passwords and banking details and address lists and other nastiness. DELETE immediately. Do not click.
The fake phone calls are generally from Indian scammers. Don't get me wrong about the Indian people, it's just a fact that a large amount of these calls originate from India, either Calcutta or West Bengal. Highly organised, these lowlifes scam millions of $ from people worldwide. There is tonnes of informative information on Youtube, and people who fight them.
Thanks for the heads up. I don't do any bank transactions via the internet so there's one problem sorted.

Last edited:

Latest posts