What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

BJ Leilua banned for four matches by NRL for naked photo scandal

firechild

First Grade
how do you know he wasn't at the bar first?

An AVO is not a restraining order. Unless specified within the AVO there is nothing stopping contact between people mentioned on an AVO. An AVO is simply an order that says the aggressor will not assault, harass, threaten etc the victim for a specified period of time.

El Diablo

Post Whore
An AVO is not a restraining order. Unless specified within the AVO there is nothing stopping contact between people mentioned on an AVO. An AVO is simply an order that says the aggressor will not assault, harass, threaten etc the victim for a specified period of time.

okie doke

makes sense then

BunniesMan

Immortal
He's a good stick we've all had nights like this on the sauce.
Yep we all have AVOs on us and we all get drunk and then get arrested for breaching them...
So did he hit someone? All I could gather from the news report was that he spat at someone and sent some text messages.
What am i missing?
Your missing the bit where he's arrested for breaching an AVO. A court ordered him to do something and he allegedly breached that.

M2D2

Bench
I know im late to the party. But one does not go to the allawah hotel and expect to not end up in some trouble, one way or another.

Fire

First Grade
I know im late to the party. But one does not go to the allawah hotel and expect to not end up in some trouble, one way or another.

Nah, it's cleaned itself up over the past decade. It's not too bad now, I used to watch a mate play in a band there.

M2D2

Bench
im 27. If its cleaned up in the last decade, god help anybody who went there before.

Valheru

Coach

I am by no means an expert on AVOs and the like but I find the above explanation of one perplexing.

So after the specified time frame you are allowed to assault, threaten and harass someone?

The Joker

Juniors
There's a timeframe of a few years that an AVO lasts for and it's mostly for domestic violence e.g crazy ex or personal violence issues e.g next door neigbour. They can be extended for as long as the victim feels threatened/intimidated and can satisfy that threat to the court.

Patorick

Staff member
http://www.leagueunlimited.com/article.php?newsid=22768

Sydney Roosters Media Statement
Written by: Sydney Roosters Media
May 28, 2012 1:42pm

Following an incident at a Sydney hotel over the weekend that has resulted in his arrest, Sydney Roosters player Joseph Leilua will not be playing in tonight’s game against the Canterbury Bulldogs.

The matter will go to court next month and with respect for the judicial system, the club will be making no further comment at this time.

Noyce...

firechild

First Grade
I am by no means an expert on AVOs and the like but I find the above explanation of one perplexing.

So after the specified time frame you are allowed to assault, threaten and harass someone?

No, it means that after that time you can still be charged with all these things but during the period of the AVO you can be hit with the additional charge of breaching an AVO. BJ has 3 charges against him, 1 of which is breaching an AVO. If he had no AVO he would only be facing 2 charges but breaching an AVO is the most serious of these and could see him spend some time in jail as a result. Spitting on someone won't get you jail time (unless you have a long list of priors) but breaching an AVO could.

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
He will get a good behaviour bond or a fine or community service or a combination of those. I'd be shocked if he went to gaol.