What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Blacktown council supports AFL attack on Rugby League

Galeforce

Bench
what is the fuss. at least will create some more jobs paid for by the AFL.
if the western crowd is not interested they will not attend , however at least the attendants , waterboy , gatekeepers etc will be getting paid.
if the western crowd are not interested it will be embarassment and hurt the AFL treasury.
so instead of pissing on the Blacktown cancel, lets see the blacktown folks show their colors.
It is not like the league was planning a Blacktown team. I think the league should be happy that AFL did not decide to go for a central coast AFL team!!

The Tank

Bench
Galeforce said:
what is the fuss. at least will create some more jobs paid for by the AFL.
if the western crowd is not interested they will not attend , however at least the attendants , waterboy , gatekeepers etc will be getting paid.
if the western crowd are not interested it will be embarassment and hurt the AFL treasury.
so instead of pissing on the Blacktown cancel, lets see the blacktown folks show their colors.
It is not like the league was planning a Blacktown team. I think the league should be happy that AFL did not decide to go for a central coast AFL team!!

:crazy: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
If there's one thing I can guarantee it's that a Central Coast AFL team would be less successful than the recent ARC effort from Union.

Raider_69

Post Whore
If what i saw at Blacktown shopping centre is anything to go by today, league is not under any threat

all this publicity about the blacktown based team, so today when i was out there doing some shopping, i made some notes about that i saw for the hour or so i was there:

NRL:
------
8x people with panthers gear on (2 of which only sporting caps)
4x people with bulldogs gear on (including a family of 3 all dressed to the hills in blue and white)
4x people in parramatta jerseys
3x people in west tigers jerseys or t shirts
2x people in canberra jerseys or t shirts (including myself)
2x kids wearing Blacktown City league junior jerseys
1x kid sporting a st marys league junior jersey

AFL:
------
Not a single peice of AFL merchandise to be seen.

MSKnight

Juniors
1 Eyed TEZZA said:
Anyone who has ever been to Blacktown will know that they have no interest in AFL. The locals wont care, the trouble making kids in the area will probably vandilise it, or maybe more.

You my friend, make me sick.

Raider_69

Post Whore
He's spot on, the locals dont give a toss about AFL, its had all this publicity, but in every shopping centre, every pub and every petrol station i go to, the talk is all about the league, the jerseys are all league jerseys, big leagues and RLW flying off the shelves...

mightypanther

Juniors

It's only the Blacktown council that want the AFL there, and it is purely for the money.

Blacktown council unfortunately cares a lot more about it's income than it does about the wishes of the people that live there.

Thank goodness I live on the right side of the Great Western Highway that puts me in the Penrith Council district.

bobmar28

Bench
Raider_69 said:
He's spot on, the locals dont give a toss about AFL, its had all this publicity, but in every shopping centre, every pub and every petrol station i go to, the talk is all about the league, the jerseys are all league jerseys, big leagues and RLW flying off the shelves...

It's the same around here (Bulldogs jerseys, Tigers, Bunnies jerseys and shirts) but I think they gave up on Liverpool some time ago. Mind you they still throw money around, auskick or whatever it's called, but the kids in this area would rather play league or soccer.

The Engineers Room

First Grade
They are just planting a seed. There will be interest if they get the team going and with all the free tickets and media exposure, it will be a success.

Dogs Of War

Coach
The Engineers Room said:
They are just planting a seed. There will be interest if they get the team going and with all the free tickets and media exposure, it will be a success.

What like the Swans? Who still have trouble getting anyone to watch on TV. How much money will it take the AFL to make it a success. I welcome there move, as it will just be money down the drain, and it will be plowed into NSW. A few nice facilities out Blacktown way I am sure would be much appreciated.

The Engineers Room

First Grade
Swans get crowds at the games though. They are growing all the time and the papers, radio and TV are boosting them and investing heavily.

t-ba

Post Whore
The Engineers Room said:
Swans get crowds at the games though. They are growing all the time and the papers, radio and TV are boosting them and investing heavily.

That Media content is payed for by the AFL...

Danish

Referee
I dont see a problem with blacktown council allowing the AFL to spend millions updating their sporting facilities.

Its win win for them. Either AFL dies its expected death and they reap the benefits of millions worth of infrasctructure, or it takes off and they reap the same benefits with an added bonus of a continual revenue stream and a happy public.

You can bet your bottom dollar that the state government will miraculously restart and complete the new blacktown train service which has been talked about for the better part of 2 decades in record time (with a little help from the AFL's coffers).

Green Machine

First Grade
At the end of the day, if the AFL moves another team to Sydney, they will not be playing premiership matches in the Western Suburbs of Sydney, but Homebush in the Inner West. It’s a great PR job from the AFL. Blacktown Council will love the deal because they will be able to stage some Pura Cup Cricket matches at Blacktown Olympic Park. The Council lose nothing.

mightypanther

Juniors
The Engineers Room said:

Yeah, but it took a grand final appearance, a premiership......and 20 odd years to do it..:lol:

For the first 10 years they were lucky to crack 3,000 crowds.

I know because my parents (who obviously have no taste at all) were swans members from the day they came to Sydney until the day they moved to Qld to retire...just before they won the premiership....bad timing for them :lol: ).

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
The Engineers Room said:
The Super League war help them immensely and that won't happen again. Not to mention the AFL pay for media coverage and they doctor the draw/salary cap/etc just to 'help' expansion teams.

MSKnight

Juniors
Green Machine said:
At the end of the day, if the AFL moves another team to Sydney, they will not be playing premiership matches in the Western Suburbs of Sydney, but Homebush in the Inner West. It’s a great PR job from the AFL. Blacktown Council will love the deal because they will be able to stage some Pura Cup Cricket matches at Blacktown Olympic Park. The Council lose nothing.

CricketNSW Headquarters are moving to Blacktown instead of Moore Park.

bobmar28

Bench
The Engineers Room said:

Swans growing all the time? Same crowds last year as three years ago and that's after two premierships. And don't forget the dismal TV ratings.