What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Blacktown council supports AFL attack on Rugby League

bobmar28

Bench
The Engineers Room said:
Swans get crowds at the games though. They are growing all the time and the papers, radio and TV are boosting them and investing heavily.

double post

RL1908

Bench
Wonder how Blacktown Council, and more importantly the Blacktown community, feels about their AFL-friendship now....

According to http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/ne...-western-sydney/2008/04/13/1208024992661.html AFL/Demetriou already has "the more affluent areas of the north-western suburbs firmly in his sights" and "Demetriou also revealed the AFL was not only targeting the west of Sydney but also the north-west, with the new name to reflect that."

While many of the north-western suburbs are in Blacktown Council's area, many aren't....and clearly the name "Blacktown whatevers FC" won't be appearing across the nation every week in the AFL match reports....which must be disappointing news to the Council given getting Blacktown's name up in lights was the very reason for getting involved with the AFL in the first place...and seemingly the people of Blacktown itself aren't as appealing to the AFL as the more affluent suburbs.

melbstormer

Juniors
Wonder how Blacktown Council, and more importantly the Blacktown community, feels about their AFL-friendship now....

According to http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/ne...-western-sydney/2008/04/13/1208024992661.html AFL/Demetriou already has "the more affluent areas of the north-western suburbs firmly in his sights" and "Demetriou also revealed the AFL was not only targeting the west of Sydney but also the north-west, with the new name to reflect that."

While many of the north-western suburbs are in Blacktown Council's area, many aren't....and clearly the name "Blacktown whatevers FC" won't be appearing across the nation every week in the AFL match reports....which must be disappointing news to the Council given getting Blacktown's name up in lights was the very reason for getting involved with the AFL in the first place...and seemingly the people of Blacktown itself aren't as appealing to the AFL as the more affluent suburbs.

From what I remember the club will have a training base in Blacktown. I imagine that the name will reflect the community they are based in and as a result be called Blacktown something.

The Melbourne Storm represent rugby league in Victoria, I live in Bendigo and hate the Melbournian attitude but still follow the Storm . I imagine the same principal applies here. They will be based in Blacktown, called Blacktown or West something and represent the regions of Western Sydney - North West, West West and South West.

Anyway to make assertions now based on the things that journalists are saying is a waste of time. They all have ideological self interests involved and nothing is certain until the AFL makes a proper statement.

Brutus

Referee
Ron Moore is not really a male.

How the f**k can you be converted from rugby league to AFL by your wife?

I'll bet she's 6 foot 5 and he's jockey size.

Beware of people on council's with name of Ron.

TeamSatan

Juniors
The AFL are really stupid, the best place they could place a second team in Sydney would be on the north shore around st leonards.
As a long time Blacktown resident ( till i got rich and moved as far away as possible )
I know that the massive majority will not even care about aussie rules...ever..

Just imagine the lalor park boys following aussie rules...they would all die laughing when the shirt grabbing and pushing starts.

What i really dont understand is why the AFL put a team in Tasmania...The two headed inbreds love it so much more than the fully evolved citizens of Blacktown ever will.

Green Machine

First Grade
From what I remember the club will have a training base in Blacktown. I imagine that the name will reflect the community they are based in and as a result be called Blacktown something.

The Melbourne Storm represent rugby league in Victoria, I live in Bendigo and hate the Melbournian attitude but still follow the Storm . I imagine the same principal applies here. They will be based in Blacktown, called Blacktown or West something and represent the regions of Western Sydney - North West, West West and South West.

Anyway to make assertions now based on the things that journalists are saying is a waste of time. They all have ideological self interests involved and nothing is certain until the AFL makes a proper statement.

It is not really what the journos saying. Jacqualine Magnay is just reporting what Andrew Demetriou said on the Offsiders program yesterday. I think the AFL is making it up as they go along. I’m sure the story will change again in the near future. Blacktown Olympic Park is in between Doonside and Rooty Hill, which about 6km from the centre of Blacktown. I drove past the site the other day and they clearing the scrub next to the creek where the ground is going to be built. It looks like it will be a haven for mozzies.

Mr. Fahrenheit

Referee
It is not really what the journos saying. Jacqualine Magnay is just reporting what Andrew Demetriou said on the Offsiders program yesterday. I think the AFL is making it up as they go along. I’m sure the story will change again in the near future. Blacktown Olympic Park is in between Doonside and Rooty Hill, which about 6km from the centre of Blacktown. I drove past the site the other day and they clearing the scrub next to the creek where the ground is going to be built. It looks like it will be a haven for mozzies.

OH LOL

this is on Eastern Rd... correct? hahaha i'd love for them to invest in a complex there, the middle of f**king nowhere.

sharko

Juniors
The AFL are not stupid, their administration is light years ahead of the NRL..the NRL are still trying to kill off Sydney based NRL clubs..it is only logical that a competing sport plays off that idiot attitude and start to make a play for the area.
Young kids who may have played league in the past are getting to their formative years and risk being crippled by kids their age but who weigh 30 -40 kilos more than them..parents want their kids to play sport but not get masscared doing it.
Auskick is logical and a growing alternative to junior league..its numbers are increasing, but more importantly it is being aequately funded by the AFL, something the NRL is utterly failing at.
Criticise the AFL and Councils for doing business with them, but svae your real ire for those vegies running the NRL, they are the true morons but are not held to account!

Green Machine

First Grade
This Western Sydney AFL story is the best smoke and mirrors tail to come out of the AFL PR machine in years. The problem’s with too many Sydney NRL teams is no different to too many AFL teams in Melbourne. The AFL CEO said yesterday on the Offsiders program, that no Melbourne AFL team is interested in either relocating of merging, so this is the path they are going down. He said they are prepared to spend millions of dollars in setting up teams in Western Sydney and on the Gold Coast. I hope they do.
The problem I have with the NRL is they not pushing the agenda of the game. They are leaving the decisions of playing games away from home grounds with the clubs. The NRL should be negotiating with local authorise for staging games in cities like Perth and Wellington.
Denis Fitzgerald was on 2UE the other night after they signed a new agreement with Parramatta Stadium. He said that the made over $100k more for their game at Waikato than they made at their best crowd at Parramatta Stadium. What will Souths make out of their games in Perth next year? What would be the full impact on Rugby League in Perth if the games staged their next year are supported by local FTA TV and marketing for the game? I would like to see some action out of David instead of just words, to a Ricky Stuart feel good interview,

bobmar28

Bench
The AFL are not stupid, their administration is light years ahead of the NRL..the NRL are still trying to kill off Sydney based NRL clubs..it is only logical that a competing sport plays off that idiot attitude and start to make a play for the area.
Young kids who may have played league in the past are getting to their formative years and risk being crippled by kids their age but who weigh 30 -40 kilos more than them..parents want their kids to play sport but not get masscared doing it.
Auskick is logical and a growing alternative to junior league..its numbers are increasing, but more importantly it is being aequately funded by the AFL, something the NRL is utterly failing at.
Criticise the AFL and Councils for doing business with them, but svae your real ire for those vegies running the NRL, they are the true morons but are not held to account!

Auskick numbers increasing? Where? Certainly not around here. AFL have been trying to get a toehold around here for years but League and soccer rule in this area.

Like GM said, it's all smoke and mirrors.

AFL like to say things like "Auskick numbers are on the increase" and that may be true, but when the starting number is f**k all, it doesn't take much to increase it.

I live in the Campbelltown area and it is apparently an AFL-friendly area.

Could have fooled me. Can't recall the last time I saw an Aussie Rules game going on in this area. The Swans killed Aussie Rules in this area, it was much more popular here in the late 1980's than it is now.

urban eel

Juniors
i dont mind one bit if they go ahead with this plan

can only be good for the council area if it happens
why shouldnt i have the choice to go see a game of any sport in my own backyard

be it NRL,AFL,Soccer,Baseball,Ice hockey.

like i say to my wife just because i look at other women doesnt mean i want to marry them

Brownie.Kougari

Juniors
Why have AFL teams on the GC & in West Sydney?

I reckon there'd be more support for AFL in Tas than in Qld... Shouldn't they reward a people who actually want a team?

Maybe it's like us & PNG... dunno

JW

Coach
Why have AFL teams on the GC & in West Sydney?

I reckon there'd be more support for AFL in Tas than in Qld... Shouldn't they reward a people who actually want a team?

They're the two areas in the country with the most potential for whatever sport can get a hold of them. They're also the fastest growing regions and naturally you'll want to take your game to where the people are.

And at the moment League has them both. Vald's currently sh*tting bricks watching the Tits go from strength to strength.

The AFL's problem is that it costs an atrocious amount of coin to run even a mildly successful operation in their competition, and the only AFL friendly areas remaining in Australia that don't have a team are simply no where near being viable.

Hobart, Darwin, etc, are pure fantasy. Some teams are struggling to make ends meet in the country's biggest and richest areas as it is, despite the amount of money in the game and the attendences and memberships they draw - which is very much a primary source of income for Fumbleball clubs.

Quite simply they're f**ked and have nowhere else to go.

Latest posts