What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Blade Runner 2049

elyod138

Bench
It's getting hailed as a masterpiece by critics, many saying it surpasses the original. I believe them,
Denis Villeneuve is the real deal.

It's out on Thursday, f**king pumped.

Reactions: PJ

myrrh ken

First Grade
Loved the original. Even had the pc game which was pretty cool.

I will watch although i think the storyline is pretty obvious from the trailer.

Zoidberg

First Grade
I watched the original a few times but it just doesn't hook me, I find it a bit boring.
However I am keen to see this one, big fan of Villeneuve.

vvvrulz

Coach
The original is a hard movie to sell, sort of like test cricket.

It's drawn out and slow burning with nothing particularly grabbing out at you the entire time, the first time I watched it I kept waiting for the punchline. Yet it's full of little moments that draw me in after several viewings. There' just something about the way it's soaked in it;s dreary atmosphere, dystopian score, and exquisite visuals.

PJ

First Grade

It's drawn out and slow burning with nothing particularly grabbing out at you the entire time, the first time I watched it I kept waiting for the punchline. Yet it's full of little moments that draw me in after several viewings. There' just something about the way it's soaked in it;s dreary atmosphere, dystopian score, and exquisite visuals.

Very good description of how I feel about it.

Really looking forward to this.

Lemon Squash

First Grade
First one is one of the most overated movies of all time... it flopped when it was originally released and rightly so because because it sucked balls

This sequel looks okay though

myrrh ken

First Grade
The only problem is that deckhard is old which suggests hes not a replicant. It robs the original of any meaning.

I dont get the conplaints about pacing. Its similar to classics of the time: the thing, alien, the shining.

elyod138

Bench
The only problem is that deckhard is old which suggests hes not a replicant. It robs the original of any meaning.

I dont get the conplaints about pacing. Its similar to classics of the time: the thing, alien, the shining.
I've heard that's all addressed in the movie. Haven't seen any complaints about that aspect yet.

Apparently the plot is that replicants were made around the time of the original movie without an expiry date, primarily to be used as Blade Runners. Some are still alive and hiding out, Gosling's job is to hunt them down and eliminate them. Apparently it still keeps the question about Deckard open though, it doesn't plainly confirm he is a replicant, which I like.

I agree with you about the pacing, audiences today don't have the patience for classic film making. I think there's a lack of respect and appreciation for good pacing, mood, establishing shots, character development etc. A lot of people just want something exciting happening on the screen at all times, it doesn't matter if it has much meaning or build up.

Last edited:

myrrh ken

First Grade
Apparently the plot is that replicants were made around the time of the original movie without an expiry date, primarily to be used as Blade Runners. Some are still alive and hiding out, Gosling's job is to hunt them down and eliminate them. Apparently it still keeps the question about Deckard open though, it doesn't plainly confirm he is a replicant, which I like.

But ...
hmm, i thought rachel was one of a kind ie the one with no expiry date. Thats what tyrell had said.

My theory from looking at the trailer is.. .

rachel is dead but actually gave birth to the young chick. The young chick has sone funky hybrid dna. Jared leto wants her so he can use her dna for the bots

Last edited:

RockWheel

Bench
How's it compare to the original? Ridley Scott isn't directing this one so I'm kind of hopeful.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
The original, one of the best movie ever made IMO. Ground breaking, original concept.

But like all others, will wait till it is free.

Zachary Smith

Juniors
The original suffered from too much editing and directors cut wasn't much better either, watch the Final Cut (2007) and it all makes sense.

Looking forward to this.

Tommy Smith

Referee

The original gets better with every viewing. Just saw it again today in preparation for 2049.

The combination of the visuals, the score and the atmosphere make the movie. And it wouldn't be the same if it wasn't for the slow burn approach.

Although a different genre I kind of liken it to Apocalypse Now - another slow burner that also draws you into the world in a transcendent manner. So much so that you're half way into the movie and wonder how you got there.

But yes, Blade Runner is definitely not for everybody and I can understand why.

Pete Cash

Post Whore
How's it compare to the original? Ridley Scott isn't directing this one so I'm kind of hopeful.

Its very different to the original I would say. There are a lot of call backs to the first movie but it is different in style to the first. It has the same sort of crushingly depressing tone that Blade Runner had

When people say they dont like the original its normally about the pacing right. This movie is slow and a bit flabby in places but its not paced as slowly as the first imo.

I don't think this movie will necessarily be everyones cup of tea.

Its extremely weird in parts. There is one sex scene in particular that is just bonkers to the point I was kind of snapped out of the film. Its very bleak and confronting and uses a ton of cinema tricks to make the audience feel uneasy. There isn't a lot of levity to break it up either.

And I am still thinking about it like 6 hour later. Visually its a work of art. I think the plot is pretty good but there are a few places I think it falls down flat. When more people see it I might return to this because i hate using spoilers lol.

I really liked it and would see it again but if someone hated the first movie I don't know if its different enough that they wouldn't hate this one. Its certainly the strangest big theatrical release I have seen for a while.

Pete Cash

Post Whore
Also to add the main difference imo is that Villeneuve is a good director at pulling humanity out of cold scifi stories. Its got more warmth than the original film. He is a very good director. It cannot be overstated stated how beautiful this movie is

I loved it from start to finish.

Everything.

Pacing, lighting, story, characters, style, themes, sound, music. The nods to the past are well integrated. The dour, depressing future with the mix of crowded cities, grime and candy-pop technology were just brilliant.

On a side note, it's funny. Not a lot of actors with a body of work and a strong legacy often get a chance to revisit iconic characters. Ford has now done it with Han Solo and Rick Deckard (and to a degree with Indy in 2008). With BR2049 and TFA, it's been great and enhanced the character IMHO.

Last edited:

Zachary Smith

Juniors
Loved it, a worthy sequel to the original, I thought the pacing was a bit slow at times but apart from that it was spell binding. Ryan Gosling was great, visuals were brilliant, music was good (thought it was Vangelis at first) and the 3rd act was suitable strange.

Latest posts