What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Blake Lawrie Extended!

slippery5

Juniors
Yes I may be alone in my thinking here.
He may need to find a substle step, swerve, offload or whatever to improve his impact in attack and 2nd efforts in defence, but
he was almost alone last year for hitting the line with vigour and leg drive compared to many others who lumbered, stood there and watched and were flat footed.
1 year good extension decision as he is now reaching the age bracket to hit his peak as a front rower.
You may be able to teach an offload but a swerve & a step you cannot, you have to be athletically able to do so...

denis preston

First Grade
Just don't know how they make him a integral member of the 17 week in week out. Doesn't have size, skill, stamina and to be really blunt , game smarts. Understand that he will be around better forwards this year but those forwards should be taking his position.

redandwhite4evr

Juniors
Yes I may be alone in my thinking here.
He may need to find a substle step, swerve, offload or whatever to improve his impact in attack and 2nd efforts in defence, but
he was almost alone last year for hitting the line with vigour and leg drive compared to many others who lumbered, stood there and watched and were flat footed.
1 year good extension decision as he is now reaching the age bracket to hit his peak as a front rower.
Swerves, steps, offloads etc would be nice but imo not essential for him to continue to be the first prop picked in my team every week. He's absolutely fearless in attack and defence. Bends the line and hits hard without thought for his personal safety and almost always within the rules. Unique among the props we've had in the last few years. Jaidyn Hunt may be a challenger in 2022.

BLM01

First Grade
Anyone remember what was said about Lawrie when James Graham arrived at the club?

Remember all the talk about them "doing extras" etc?

So why will he suddenly improve with a new set of mentors?

At 1st grade level you either have it or you don't.

He's not going to get any faster, nor stronger, nor taller, nor bigger so what you see is what you will get.

People keep harking back to a great performance in 1 game or a particular tackle or a hit up or 2 and that is the problem ie very good all round performances are few and far between.

If the full squad is fit he is a fringe 1st grader or an OK replacement for a couple of games.
Maybe, when Graham arrived he was barely 21 if that.
but he is now reaching an age bracket where props start to be smarter and find a way or show signs of realising their potential

And you are wrong that he cannot get any stronger or bigger.

P Vaughan, Junior Paulo for example who the latter in the last few years introduced a substle step at the line but he was not considered that highly prior to coming to Parra, nor was Vaughan before us.
Just 2 examples and there are many more
It is not mentors now..
It is up to Lawrie to find a way and develop some subtleties in his game to make more of an impact and I have not given up on him just yet..obviously nor has the coach.
I am not saying he will be as good as Paulo or Vaughan but these next 2 years will tell a tale.

possm

Coach
I don't rate Laurie but would be very pleased if he stepped up this season. Cutting out the silly penalties and make the right decisions in defense would be a start.

Laurie often begins his stint with a few runs that bend the line however, after a very short stint he loses that determination and falls into undisciplined play.

Old Timer

Coach
Maybe, when Graham arrived he was barely 21 if that.
but he is now reaching an age bracket where props start to be smarter and find a way or show signs of realising their potential

And you are wrong that he cannot get any stronger or bigger.

P Vaughan, Junior Paulo for example who the latter in the last few years introduced a substle step at the line but he was not considered that highly prior to coming to Parra, nor was Vaughan before us.
Just 2 examples and there are many more
It is not mentors now..
It is up to Lawrie to find a way and develop some subtleties in his game to make more of an impact and I have not given up on him just yet..obviously nor has the coach.
I am not saying he will be as good as Paulo or Vaughan but these next 2 years will tell a tale.
If he is not at the zenith of his physical capabilities at age 25 and 79 games into his 1st grade career he never will be.

The only way he can get physically bigger is to put on weight / muscle and IMO his body shape 6'1" and 106 kgs will not lend itself to that and if he did put it on again IMO it will come at the detriment of something else like losing leg drive due to being muscle bound.

In 79 1st grade games not 1 try and to the best of my knowledge no highlight real showing him bursting / striding into the clear and setting them up for someone else.

He is a prop from a bygone era and well behind the best props in the game today.

He has plenty of heart and vigor and a bit of the Martin Lang kamikaze about him but that is not going to cut it in today's game.

He would have fitted in and been very successful in the great run or even in Bath's babes when props had a very different role to play.

maestro1

Bench
I've can't remember seeing him make a break or score a try. He regularly gets pushed back and rarely bends the line. Always gives his all, but at this level, I would be using that money on a more influential prop. His discipline with giving away 6 agains is very poor.

Mojo

Bench
He's carrying a spare tyre around his midriff. He'd be a much better player if he improved his physique. Not meaning to be insulting; It's a physical game and he needs to improve his level of fitness.

blacksafake

First Grade
I
He's carrying a spare tyre around his midriff. He'd be a much better player if he improved his physique. Not meaning to be insulting; It's a physical game and he needs to improve his level of fitness
It’s a long season so I wouldn’t be too concerned about that just yet.

BLM01

First Grade
I've can't remember seeing him make a break or score a try. He regularly gets pushed back and rarely bends the line. Always gives his all, but at this level, I would be using that money on a more influential prop. His discipline with giving away 6 agains is very poor.
Did not see him get pushed backed last weekend!.. also showed signs that he his trying to change angles of his runs as well. We will see

Belta

Juniors
I like players that show ❤️ But the criticism has been on the 💲

🤞the patience just maybe starting to pay off, he does also look more💪 In da photo

Last edited:

Draginzaaar

Bench
Swerves, steps, offloads etc would be nice but imo not essential for him to continue to be the first prop picked in my team every week. He's absolutely fearless in attack and defence. Bends the line and hits hard without thought for his personal safety and almost always within the rules. Unique among the props we've had in the last few years. Jaidyn Hunt may be a challenger in 2022.
Are you talking and Lawrie?

Gareth67

First Grade
I am confident that Blake will step up this year , yes there are far more experienced players in the team now and yes I agree that he will gain more from the new forwards than he did from our rejects from last season .

As already said by other members he looks very fit and if he does possess that hunger to improve himself , then he will prove to be an integral part of the Dragons push towards a semi-final berth this season .

Go get them Blake !