What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Blake Lawrie

getsmarty

Immortal
nswc-2018-rd18-st.-george-illawarra-dragons-nsw-cup-v-wentworthville-magpies---blake-lawrie.jpg

NSWRL NEWS

19 stars for 2019 | Blake Lawrie
Author
Andre Cupido
Timestamp
Mon 24 Dec 2018, 06:00 AM

A hard-running forward with sheer tenacity, Blake Lawrie enjoyed a brilliant 2018 season which saw the Dragons forward make nine first-grade appearances following his NRL debut in 2017.

Lawrie has been touted as one of the rising stars in recent years with selection in the NSW Under 18's squad in 2015 before earning a place in the Under 20's side and Australian Schoolboys squad in 2017.

He was later rewarded with a place in Brad Fittler's Emerging Blue Squad – a clear acknowledgement of his strong form throughout 2018 with the potential to go to greater heights next season.

He played a crucial role in the club's Intrust Super Premiership surge towards the Preliminary Final, averaging 146m and 34 tackles per game throughout the season and formed as a core part of the Dragons forward pack in both grades.

He proved invaluable throughout the Origin period in the absence of NSW stars Paul Vaughan, Tariq Sims and Jack de Belin, with his efforts in the top grade more than admirable and adds quality depth to the Dragons for 2019.

He has a great chance to cement a spot in the Dragons top 17 next season, and with limitless potential, will undoubtedly become a household name in the near future.

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2018/12/26/19-stars-for-2019--blake-lawrie/

nontime111

Juniors
GO BIG LAWRIE!!!!!
cant wait to see you RIP in like you did at the end of last season!
Smash em like bowling balls big fella!!

getsmarty

Immortal
Lawrie ready to secure Dragons position in 2019
Dragons Den
r0_0_2452_2683_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Impact player: Forward Blake Lawrie. Picture: AAP Image/Michael Chambers.

St George Illawarra forward Blake Lawrie is looking forward to producing the best year of his young career, beginning against the Cowboys on Saturday night.

Entering his third season of first grade and with 15 career NRL games to his name, the Dapto junior is determined to play in every match for the Dragons in 2019.

"I'm looking to lock down a top 17 spot," Lawrie said. "I want to play every game this year, that's one of my goals."

Lawrie reocgnises, however, that his performance on the field must warrant regular selection if he is to achieve that goal, especially with Korbin Sims set to return from suspension in round three and Josh Kerr pushing for selection.

"I've got to perform to earn those minutes. I'm going out there with a positive attitude to try and get some more minutes under my belt, get the trust of the head coach to leave me out there for extended minutes.

"I've worked hard over the pre-season and I'm confident in my fitness ability to try and play those longer minutes."

https://www.illawarramercury.com.au...ons-position-in-2019-as-season-nears/?cs=3713

rasaint

Juniors
Sorry Blake is basically a plodder with courage. Not NRL standard. Yet to see him bend the line, slip the pass, display any X factor. Lachlan Timm is the one, should be in the NRL now.

If I’ve missed something let me know.

getsmarty

Immortal
Dragons 2019: Balance the key for Lawrie
Dragons Den
r0_0_4637_3411_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

BALANCE: Finding time to get away from footy has been a key lesson for Blake Lawrie this season. Picture: NRL Imagery

WHEN you're trying to crack the NRL, living and breathing footy is a must. Once you're there though, it's not the healthiest mentality.

It's a lesson young Dragons prop Blake Lawrie has learned this season, having featured in all 11 games for his side. In that week to week grind, a hyper focus on footy can quickly grind you down according to the 22-year-old.

"It's been a massive adjustment this year," Lawrie said.

"I'm starting to realise over the last few weeks how tough a competition the NRL is, physically and mentally. It's a mental drain on you as well.

"You've got to get your body right but on your days off you've got to go get away from football, go out and do your own thing. For me it's going for a swim or having a hit of golf just to get your mind footy because it's a tough sport and the NRL competition is pretty relentless."

He could be forgiven for feeling that way given the injuries that have plagued the Dragons this season, taking a particular toll on the club's forward stocks.

Jack de Berlin remains stood down indefinitely, while Korbin Sims, Tyson Frizell, Jeremy Latimore and now James Graham have all spent time on the sideline.

It's seen coach Paul McGregor look to his young crop to fill the void but Lawrie said it's time for himself and the likes of Jacob Host and Luciano Leilua to lift regardless.

"You could say injuries have had an impact but we know we've got to step up anyway," Lawrie said.

"Whoever puts on the jersey has a job to do and I'm happy that's been me this year but that can change. Everyone's got to take their opportunity.

"I just want to get in the 17 every week and go out there and play a role for the team. We all know whoever's out there has to perform every second they're on the field."

https://www.illawarramercury.com.au/story/6206431/balance-the-key-for-lawrie/?cs=3713