What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bluetooth Speakers

Has anybody had experience with the backwards compatibility of a Bluetooth version 4.2 android phone with a Bluetooth version 5.0 speaker?

I'm after a new speaker after some merkin stole my beautiful Nakamichi Delta 100, along with two Toshiba laptops, two 3Tb hard drives (with 10000s of songs, 1000s of movies and over 100 complete series of TV shows as diverse as the original Twilight Zone, Prisoner, Get Smart and NCIS. Don't forget the irreplaceable Sea Eagles memorabilia and over $500 in cash). Lesson - don't go to hospital for two weeks and expect everything to be intact when you return.

And no. I'm not buying a new 5.0 Bluetooth phone just for the heck of it.

Incorrect

Coach
Has anybody had experience with the backwards compatibility of a Bluetooth version 4.2 android phone with a Bluetooth version 5.0 speaker?

I'm after a new speaker after some merkin stole my beautiful Nakamichi Delta 100, along with two Toshiba laptops, two 3Tb hard drives (with 10000s of songs, 1000s of movies and over 100 complete series of TV shows as diverse as the original Twilight Zone, Prisoner, Get Smart and NCIS. Don't forget the irreplaceable Sea Eagles memorabilia and over $500 in cash). Lesson - don't go to hospital for two weeks and expect everything to be intact when you return.

And no. I'm not buying a new 5.0 Bluetooth phone just for the heck of it.
I can't really answer your query but I have to say that really sucks that your gear got stolen. Hope karma catches up with the f**ker that took it...

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
You’ll be fine. Bluetooth versions are backwards compatible, it’ll just run at the latest version supported by both devices, in your case 4.2.

You’ll be fine. Bluetooth versions are backwards compatible, it’ll just run at the latest version supported by both devices, in your case 4.2.
A BIG thank you!

I've read several articles that say it's possible but I was still dubious.

I wasn't going to spend a few hundred dollars for something that doesn't work. Anyway, I'll check with the retailer regarding their returns policy. Should be OK if it doesn't work on the basis of "not fit for use" grounds.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Yeah it’s exactly like wifi in that respect - if you buy a fancy router with the new super fast standards and your laptop/phone supports it it’ll run with the super fast speeds - if not it’ll run at whatever speed your device supports. You’ll only possibly run into compatibility issues if your device is REALLY old, and I’m talking decades now.