What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bobby Fulton - just how good was Bozo?

horrie hastings

First Grade
Phil Gould tells a story of when he was newly appointed 19 year old Penrith captain in 1978 and Bozo was Roosters captain at the back end of his career. The game was at the old Sports Ground, where the ground ran east west so the team running west had the sun in their face in the second half, a distinct disadvantage. The toss was done in the sheds and Gus won, but Bozo led his team out for the first half running east-west, ie the way Gould had chosen. Gus had to go to the ref and get him to tell Bozo to send his team to the other end of the field. Bozo acted dumb of course. Penrith ended up winning this game in what would have been a major upset.

Yes Penrith won 15-13, Bob O Reilly scored off a bomb for Easts with about 2 mins left, the ball was lost by Penrith off the high kick and was a very lucky try for Easts, they had the conversion to level the game at 15-15 but missed, Easts only stayed in touch through 5 penalty goals and Penrith outplayed Easts and the score really flattered the Roosters that day, Kevin Dann had a blinder for Penrith,
RIP Kevin who passed away in Feb.

Fulton was an excellent player .He was smart and ahead of his time.

Also played the referee's ...diving, faking, whinging incessantly. You can see how that rubbish is passed down to thru Toovey and now Lyon....Did you guys see Lyon run up screaming ,crying, like he was refereeing the game when they were beaten by the storm....Well that was Bozo reincarnated.

Fittler was a much better a player and human..Easily.
Indeed. Played the laws of the game to the limit as a player and a coach

Fulton was an excellent player .He was smart and ahead of his time.

Also played the referee's ...diving, faking, whinging incessantly. You can see how that rubbish is passed down to thru Toovey and now Lyon....Did you guys see Lyon run up screaming ,crying, like he was refereeing the game when they were beaten by the storm....Well that was Bozo reincarnated.

Fittler was a much better a player and human..Easily.
Indeed. Played the laws of the game to the limit as a player and a coach

GongPanther

Referee
I said earlier in another thread that Bozo was a mezmerising lateral ball runner which I've never seen the likes of since. Used to travel to the SCG just to watch Easts V Manly comp games in which were always eagerly anticipted.

Last edited:

kdalymc

Bench
Phil Gould tells a story of when he was newly appointed 19 year old Penrith captain in 1978 and Bozo was Roosters captain at the back end of his career. The game was at the old Sports Ground, where the ground ran east west so the team running west had the sun in their face in the second half, a distinct disadvantage. The toss was done in the sheds and Gus won, but Bozo led his team out for the first half running east-west, ie the way Gould had chosen. Gus had to go to the ref and get him to tell Bozo to send his team to the other end of the field. Bozo acted dumb of course. Penrith ended up winning this game in what would have been a major upset.
Talk about anti climax

horrie hastings

First Grade
I remember when Fulton was coaching at Manly when Easts played them at Brookvale in 1993 and the Roosters won 6-0. All the papers and media the next day were going on about how good Easts defence was then Fulton piped up and said why are they going on about Easts defence when they should be going about Manly's great attack. I think the nil in Manly's scoreline summed up Manly's attack perfectly.

Chippy73

Bench
I remember when Fulton was coaching at Manly when Easts played them at Brookvale in 1993 and the Roosters won 6-0. All the papers and media the next day were going on about how good Easts defence was then Fulton piped up and said why are they going on about Easts defence when they should be going about Manly's great attack. I think the nil in Manly's scoreline summed up Manly's attack perfectly.

The great Bonzo still had a full head of hair in 1993, only a bald coach would have made such an easily discredited assertion. I think there's more nuance behind your anecdote.

horrie hastings

First Grade
The great Bonzo still had a full head of hair in 1993, only a bald coach would have made such an easily discredited assertion. I think there's more nuance behind your anecdote.

Manly had plenty of ball and kept attacking Easts line , they had plenty of chances to score but somehow Easts defence held them out , Manlys attack was actually very good but somehow East kept on repelling them, Roosters really had limited opportunity to score and took advantage from a scrum to score the only try of the match . I knew exactly what Fulton meant as Manlys attack was good and had plenty of opportunities but the sport writers rightfully praised Easts defence which annoyed Fulton because the talk was about Easts display and not Manlys. I must watch the game again one day as I have it on DVD.

Latest posts