What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Boston Braves (were Wolfhounds) news

roopy

Referee
I got this e-mail from the administrator of the Wolfhounds (Rugby Union club) website.
I had tried to set up a RL forum on his website - which never really took off anyway.

"Colin,

As a courtesy I have to inform you that the Boston Irish wolfhounds are no longer formally associated with the sport of Rugby League in Boston. A new team is being set up no details available and they feel it not in their best interests to be associated with the Wolfhounds brand. We wish them well and will more than likely have soem of our members playing for this new venture when it gets off the ground.

As a consequence the RL discussion area to which you have supported , will wind down in a couple of days.

Regards

Declan Prenty"

It looks like the Wolfhounds will have a name change before the season kicks off.

Mr_Ugly

Juniors
On the surface at least, this smells very much like a directive from union in the US against them playing league.

Tom Weil

Juniors
Slightly beneath the surface, this is a case of a rugby union being taken for a ride, providing players, uniforms, permits and equipment, and then being told to F$#k off, b/c we are now strong enough to stand on our own, and while we appreciate your support in getting us up and running we now don't need you. Not to worry, as both codes are so strong and popular in the states that they can go it alone.

BatiFan

Juniors
Very disapointing to hear, lets hope that the Boston team gets there act into gear and can make some impact this year.

roopy

Referee
Mr_Ugly said:
On the surface at least, this smells very much like a directive from union in the US against them playing league.
I've been assured by many of the US posters over the years that Americans think the 100 year 'war' between the codes is just silly foreigner nonsense - and the two codes get along pretty well over there.

Mr_Ugly

Juniors
Tom Weil said:
Slightly beneath the surface, this is a case of a rugby union being taken for a ride, providing players, uniforms, permits and equipment, and then being told to F$#k off, b/c we are now strong enough to stand on our own, and while we appreciate your support in getting us up and running we now don't need you. Not to worry, as both codes are so strong and popular in the states that they can go it alone.

Tom, I certainly hope that is not the case, and to be honest I can't see why it would be given that the seasons are separate and many of the same people are involved with both versions of the game.

Have there been similar moves by rugby union 10s and 7s to break away? ... of course not. Why then why the union/league break unless under direction "from above"?

Admittedly it is just speculation on my part however. If you have some inside goss, then I would be very keen to hear it.

Roopy said:
I've been assured by many of the US posters over the years that Americans think the 100 year 'war' between the codes is just silly foreigner nonsense - and the two codes get along pretty well over there.

I think this is probably true among most of the people "on the ground" in developing league nations (with the exception of some ex-pat players perhaps). The experience elsewhere in the world has been that once the relationship becomes known to the union authorities, they have a habit of threatening funding withdrawal and "persuading" their clubs to break all involvement with league. We have all seen it time and time again, which is why my suspicion is raised.

It is also interesting that the New Haven union side has apparently broken from league (or vice versa) at the roughly the same time (http://forums.leagueunlimited.com/showthread.php?p=2273391#post2273391). Coincidence? Perhaps, but it certainly doesn't do anything to reduce the suspicion of a union edict.

Mr_Ugly

Juniors
deluded pom? said:
Mr Ugly I think Tom Weil was being ironic . Do you do irony ?

Nah mate, my missus does the laundry - the washy, the dryey and the irony.;-)

buccaneer

Juniors
roopy said:

88 years after the Yankees bought The Babe from the Red Sox, The Red Sox fans still hate the Yankees. I think they understand, only too well.

Just hope that Boston can get sorted & give me a team to go and watch when I visit.

roopy

Referee
buccaneer said:
So the Boston Wolfhounds are dead, long live the Boston Braves.
Is that official (I want to know so I can change the title of this thread).

buccaneer

Juniors
"For reasons to do primarily with sponsorship, the Club has changed its name from 'Wolfhounds' to 'Boston Braves'.

We have a great pitch to play on, strong sponsorship, all new kit and equipment and a keen set of players - so all we need from everyone is a commitment to train hard and consistently and we're set up for a successful summer."

Taken from an email received from Boston Rugby League, so I would take it as true.

Think it's a bold move, I wonder if somebody still holds the rights to the Boston Braves Baseball name and will they sue or are they the sponsor?

Atleast it's quite easy to get hold of Boston Braves gear.

roopy

Referee
buccaneer said:
"For reasons to do primarily with sponsorship, the Club has changed its name from 'Wolfhounds' to 'Boston Braves'.

We have a great pitch to play on, strong sponsorship, all new kit and equipment and a keen set of players - so all we need from everyone is a commitment to train hard and consistently and we're set up for a successful summer."

Taken from an email received from Boston Rugby League, so I would take it as true.

Think it's a bold move, I wonder if somebody still holds the rights to the Boston Braves Baseball name and will they sue or are they the sponsor?

Atleast it's quite easy to get hold of Boston Braves gear.

Thanks for that. I can understand that the club needs its own identity to get sponsers.

Tomahawk

Staff member
Talked to Dave Nui this morning and it is true. The new name for the Boston team is the Braves.

Tomahawk

Staff member
Tom Weil said:

First I want to say that this is a shame that this had to happen. I would also like to say that the Union/League relationship is a lot better over here in the states then in other countries. I know that there are players on the knights that play for union clubs.

However, this is not the first time it has happened to the team. Several years ago the Media MantaRays (Now Delaware MantaRays) used to work together with Media Union. Well there were guys that were in favor of the two teams working together, and there were guys against it. Well a disagreement occurred, and the relationship fell apart. Rugby Union guys did not play league during the league season, and the league guys did not play union during the union season.

Good luck to both teams the Wolfhounds (Boston Union) and the Boston Braves (Boston League). Maybe in the next few years the Wolfhounds can form their own team and join the AMNRL.

yankeerugger

Juniors
I would think that if anyone "owned the name" "Boston Braves", it would be Ted Turner, current owner of the Atlanta Braves (formery the Milwaukee, formerly Boston Braves).

I wish the Braves the best of luck in this expanded AMNRL. As a fan of both codes, I hate to see animostiy between the two. Face it, BOTH are better then Gridirion!:lol:

lloydy

Juniors
Just saw this on our local union web-site

Rugby League pre-season training starts tonight (Monday) at 6:30 at Moakely
Field in South Boston. We'll meet next to the skating rink on the harbor side of
the park.

Training will be light on Monday, as many of you will have played this
weekend, but it is essential that anyone intending to play this summer show up;
if not to train, then to register.

We will be training Mondays and Wednesdays each week until the end of the
rugby union season, then Tuesdays and Thursdays moving forward. The first RL
game is scheduled for May 27.

For reasons to do primarily with sponsorship, the Club has changed its name
from 'Wolfhounds' to 'Boston Braves'.

We have a great pitch to play on, strong sponsorship, all new kit and
equipment and a keen set of players - so all we need from everyone is a
commitment to train hard and consistently and we're set up for a successful
summer.

A good link to start wathching some games is:

http://www.nrl.com/BigPondVideo/Multimedia/tabid/262/Default.aspx

I will follow-up with a call to everyone tomorrow. If I don't speak to you
personally and you are unable to attend on Monday, please let me know.

Lastly, if you know of other interested players, please pass this info along.

Best.

Jim

Jim Walker - President, Boston Braves Rugby League
603 247 3713