What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Botha smashed SBW, Worst rip off of all time?

Chainshada

Juniors
A shame really, no denying the guy's got some talent and definately has the physical ability..Get him away from the Nasser/Mundine circus and have him put all his effort into 1 sport, and he probably would become a respectable champion in a couple of years.

some11

Referee
Jesus christ, if this is true Nasser is a scumbag.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...o-clear-his-name/story-fndeeomn-1226575747799

FRANCOIS Botha claims his pre-fight urine test was taken by a member of Khoder Nasser's family and he has since visited a South African laboratory to clear his name.

The extraordinary fallout from Sonny Bill Williams' WBA International title fight win over Botha at the Brisbane Entertainment Centre on Friday continues to become more bizarre.

Botha's manager Howard Goldberg told The Courier-Mail from South Africa they were baffled by reports Botha had tested positive to a banned stimulant.

Goldberg said the alleged positive test for Phentermine, from a urine sample Botha voluntarily submitted last Tuesday, was inadmissible because it was not conducted by a recognised commission.

Phentermine increases the heart rate.

Goldberg did admit there was "some kind of test" taken.

The fight's promoter and Williams' manager Khoder Nasser remain adamant Botha's test was legitimate and has been sent to the WBA headquarters in Panama for further confirmation.

Goldberg said he was confident Botha would have his name cleared.

"Frans has told me it was a member of Nasser's family that took the urine test for him," Goldberg said. "I was not in the room with him (for the test).

"If Frans has been on drugs I would be very disappointed but even if this test ... is real then it would be inadmissible as it was not conducted by a legitimate body.

"Frans has gone to a lab here in Durban today to have his urine tested and we will be able to clear his name with that."

Nasser dismissed suggestions a family member took Botha's sample.

"The pathology company is a very reputable company in Australia," Nasser said, without naming them.

"Frans went along with the local commission to do his blood tests for hepatitis and at the same time said he would do a voluntary urine test.

"I don't know why he volunteered to do it."

royce10

Juniors
Throughout this whole circus, at least Botha is the only clown we can depend on for the truth :lol:

Mong

Post Whore
This gets worse every day, now they are arguing about if there was a bribe or not..

shiznit

Coach
i reckon they should just feed the both of them to David Tua... they may be able to last 1 round between the two of them...

Micistm

Bench
Why- Considering the NRL can be dragged through the mud of match fixing doping etc without any evidence- Can this absolute farce not be investigated?
What are the powers that be so afraid of?

royce10

Juniors
Why- Considering the NRL can be dragged through the mud of match fixing doping etc without any evidence- Can this absolute farce not be investigated?
What are the powers that be so afraid of?

Because...

1. All the officials that matter knew beforehand it was 10 rounds, so did Botha (he signed the contract).
2. Botha was not tested.
3. SBW won 9 of 10 rounds.
4. The controversies are media beat ups perpetuated by he say, she say articles.
5. In boxing, if your boy doesn't win....its fixed.

On the Tuaman front - Tua is hardly as aged as Botha is. Tua would kill him. It'll be the biggest farce of all time, should they ever fight. SBW is a novice, he should be fighting Bothas at this stage in his career.

shiznit

Coach
from: http://www.foxsports.com.au/other-s...out/story-e6frf5h3-1226578105977#.URyHxR1JP4s

Referee of Sonny Bill-Frans Botha bout reveals he was told of alleged bribe offer before bout

The referee at the centre of the controversial Sonny Bill Williams-Frans Botha boxing bout has revealed he was told about an alleged bribe offer before the fight took place.

Williams defeated Botha on points to claim the WBA international heavyweight title in Brisbane on Saturday, a result which was initially questioned due to the late change in distance from 12 rounds to 10, although this proved only the start of the post-fight drama.

Botha has since alleged that he was offered $150,000 by Williams' manager Khoder Nasser to throw the contest.

Nasser has since hit back, strongly denying the claims.

Boxing official Tony Kettlewell says former IBF world lightweight champion Philip Holiday, an assistant in Botha's team, told him earlier on Saturday night that money had been offered to the South African boxer to deliberately lose the fight.

"Philip just said he (Botha) was offered so much money to throw the fight and he refused to," Kettlewell told AAP.

"He didn't say how much money.

"He said (Botha said) 'no way in the world I'm going to lay down. I'm here to fight'."

Initially, Kettlewell shrugged off the incident and there has been no suggestion that he as referee, or the judges, were culpable of any wrongdoing.

"To me, it was hearsay. I spoke to (judge and Queensland National Boxing Federation official) Steve Marshall about it, just to let him know," Kettlewell added.

"I didn't get a chance to speak to any other official about it because we were busy on the night.

"I did my job properly. The WBA is well within their rules to reduce the fight to 10 rounds."

When informed about Kettlewell's comments, Nasser questioned why the issue has been brought up by the official five days after the fight.

"If this was the case, he shouldn't have let the fight go ahead," said Nasser, who has denied Botha's claim.

"Why is he saying it now? It's a week later."

There is no suggestion that Williams was aware of the alleged offer.

Kettlewell said he will raise all the issues with officials at a QNBF meeting on February 28.

He added it was the first time in 44 years in boxing as a fighter, trainer and official that he has been aware of a possible corruption in the sport.

The referee also believes the many contentious issues that arose from the contest could have been avoided if an official from the World Boxing Association was present.

Asked if he would have informed a WBA representative of the allegation, Kettlewell said ``most definitely''.

"We don't get to say whether a WBA official is there," Kettlewell said.

"I was very surprised there wasn't. It was supposed to be a sanctioned fight."

this is just getting more bizarre by the minute...

Micistm

Bench
Because...

1. All the officials that matter knew beforehand it was 10 rounds, so did Botha (he signed the contract).
2. Botha was not tested.
3. SBW won 9 of 10 rounds.
4. The controversies are media beat ups perpetuated by he say, she say articles.
5. In boxing, if your boy doesn't win....its fixed.

On the Tuaman front - Tua is hardly as aged as Botha is. Tua would kill him. It'll be the biggest farce of all time, should they ever fight. SBW is a novice, he should be fighting Bothas at this stage in his career.

1. Not really- All the advertising was for 12 rounds, the commentators were saying 12 rounds, the WBA website states title fights are 12 rounds, the judges have said they thought it was 12 rounds, on our Campbell Live TV show covering this fiasco they highlighted the turfed 'round 11' card no longer to be used...
2. Botha was maybe tested, maybe not. Botha might have been tested by a Nasser relative, maybe not.
3. $BW won early rounds, does not count for much unless it is utterly proven it was supposed to only go for 10. It hasn't been yet, and if it was changed at the last minute, why? Another round, even another few seconds and $BW was ****ed.
4. The controversays are beat up in the media- Nasser has given them the shovel. The WBA has still not came out and said whether this title is official. $BW is not mentioned on their site as any sort of champion, nor is this 'title' mentioned at all. Nasser had the belt made locally.
5. If it looks like a crap, and smells like a crap...:lol:

If the NRL are being investigated and there is supposedly enough 'evidence' there, this whole sham should and could be investigated. If it's as legit as Nasser says- He should be able to prove it easily! Paperwork from the WBA, stating it is a title fight, the paperwork stating it was exempt from being a full 12 rounder for the said title fight. That will be a start. Then the drug tests need to be investigated- WITHOUT the blanked out doctors name and just Nassers word it was a reputable organisation. The bribe allegations need to be investigated fully. There is just as much reason and evidence here as NRL/ARL. Nasser should be happy to do this and clear it up once and for all. Unless he is worried about something...;-)

Micistm

Bench
This is why there should be a full official investigation into the whole thing. All of it. This 12 round/10 Round debate. Whether it was a title fight and sanctioned at all. Is the belt official. What was up with the awful refereeing, where both boxers at various stages- Especially round ten- Should have been disqualified? Positive drug test, or not? Who took it? Bribe took place, or not? Were there witnesses? If it is deemed not to be a sanctioned title fight, can it be classed as fraud as it was advertised as such? If there was only 10 rounds from the start, why did $BW mention 12 rounds in interviews the week previous, why did all the advertising say 12 rounds, why did the judges and officials say 12 rounds in the commentry, and all fonts on the screen say 12 rounds? If it was only 10 rounds why has the TAB refunded bets after taking bets on 11th and 12th rounds?

If the ACC can be hounding the ARL/NRL, why can they not do a full investigation into this where both parties are stating illegal practices of the very things they are looking for?

royce10

Juniors
To be honest, the only matter in need of investigation is the 10/12 round debacle. Everything else after the fact is just he say/she say nonsense and the media trying to milk it for everything its worth. ANBF official John Hogg says he was present when both camps were told of the 10 round change hours before fight. He also says no official testing had taken place. Yet no one seems to take his statements seriously, ignoring them completely and instead they hang off every allegation made by the losing camp.

Why was John Hogg the last official quoted by the media? Because he offered an end to the speculation. That's doesn't sell papers.

If something really is amiss here, then an investigation would have already been underway. But because is SBW it has been blown way out of proportion. I've seen far worse things occur in Aussie boxing that never even got a mention.

Seems so ironic that the people who know less about what's going on are the ones reading the newspapers.

Micistm

Bench
Some fair points there Royce, it isn't the first sham in boxing and certainly won't be the last. Because it is $BW that does draw the fans and haters, both in the public and in the media.
That said, there is a lot of something smelly around this fight. I would still like to see proof on the many factors. If this is not a true title fight then IMO that is fraud selling it as such, among all the other things that do not require repeating ad nauseum. It is a he said/she said/they said situation, and no one is providing proof of anythind from either camp. Most of Nassers stuff is coming via Brad Walters, the journalist yes man that takes everything he says as gospel.
If its a title fight, its sanctioned and WBA should be able to provide proof. The belt should be official. If Botha truely tested wheres the test results- WITHOUT the name of the tester blanked out. Hogg was present when both camps were told of the change to 10 rounds HOURS before the fight? That requires further proof and investigation as that is in contradiction to so much other evidence, including commentators, and even judges. Then the bribe accusation is just that- But Botha claims to have witnesses. He should put up or shut up.

The whole thing need independant investigation, and sorted once and for all. But I guess it's in the best interests of both camps to pump it up for the rematch! ;-)

ACC can Bully the ARL/NRL and make unfounded allegations public while they look for stuff, and admit their numbers were merely guesses...yet they cannot look at this? FFS.

royce10

Juniors
All I can say is that Hogg only spoke for himself. I'm guessing other officials may have been present. But like any other fight, why would they need to provide proof of any stipulations, especially if its in the contract and the appropriate officials are present?

Even if they did require proof, it would really only need to be shown to the likes of John Hogg, don't you think?

As for the ARL/NRL scandal, thats a farce in itself.