What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Boxed in, on street parking.

jim_57

Staff member
So recently got back from a few days holidays to find one of our cars in on street parking has been "boxed in" by both the car in front and car behind parking too closely.

Just wondering if people have had experience with this situation and what the best solution was/is.

As it happens it doesn't really matter this time as the car won't be needed for a while and I'll just move it when one of the others move. It just got me thinking though it would be a real merkin to find this when you walk out to leave for work one day. A lot of apartments/town houses near by so a door knock appeal doesn't seem like a fun prospect.

Life's Good

Coach
People can be ar*eholes & your situation illustrates that perfectly.
I may be wrong but I thought a law existed to prevent that(not that it does of course)?

Pommy

Coach
Happens in England pretty often, you sometimes get lucky and handbrake isn’t the best and you can move one of them.
Not much hope here with everyone driving autos though.

jim_57

Staff member
People can be ar*eholes & your situation illustrates that perfectly.
I may be wrong but I thought a law existed to prevent that(not that it does of course)?

Hard to find much online, it says you're supposed to park no closer than 1m to a car in front or behind. Getting anyone to act on it though would seem like a headf**k especially as you can't prove who parked where in what order.

jim_57

Staff member
Happens in England pretty often, you sometimes get lucky and handbrake isn’t the best and you can move one of them.
Not much hope here with everyone driving autos though.

I've found people can be really sensitive about parking especially around apartments/townhouses too. I've seen a few whingy/abusive notes on windscreens for shit like a car being parked in a good spot too long . I honestly wouldn't be too surprised if at least one of the cars parked unnecessary close because my car was there for a week without moving.

Life's Good

Coach
Hard to find much online, it says you're supposed to park no closer than 1m to a car in front or behind. Getting anyone to act on it though would seem like a headf**k especially as you can't prove who parked where in what order.
Ok so there is something written in law. That would then allow you to phone a tow truck & have them tow the vehicle(may not be possible if they can’t get the access). No different to someone parking across your driveway is how I see it.

NRLMad

Juniors
Jim - call the cops, they’ll ask the owner to move it for you to get out.i had a car lodged against mine touching in the past the owner got called by cops, she was on it in a minute

jim_57

Staff member
Ok so there is something written in law. That would then allow you to phone a tow truck & have them tow the vehicle(may not be possible if they can’t get the access). No different to someone parking across your driveway is how I see it.

Took me a while to find it and it didn't really give advice on what to do if your car gets boxed in. Problem with the situation is there is no way to prove either of the other cars wasn't there first I guess, would be your word against theirs. Just brainstorming now but maybe contacting police or council and asking them to use the number plate to call the other car's registered owner would be the safest bet.

jim_57

Staff member
Jim - call the cops, they’ll ask the owner to move it for you to get out.i had a car lodged against mine touching in the past the owner got called by cops, she was on it in a minute

Cheers! That would seem like the best solution if it happens again at a worse time. Would be shit having to get an uber to work because and back because of something like that.

captain kaos

Juniors
Took me a while to find it and it didn't really give advice on what to do if your car gets boxed in. Problem with the situation is there is no way to prove either of the other cars wasn't there first I guess, would be your word against theirs. Just brainstorming now but maybe contacting police or council and asking them to use the number plate to call the other car's registered owner would be the safest bet.
If your car was boxed in, meaning there is no possible way of getting out, how do you get it the spot in the first place?

A forklift? :p

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Call a few strong mates, pick the smaller of the two cars up and move it. Ideally into somewhere ridiculous.

Danish

Referee
Call a few strong mates, pick the smaller of the two cars up and move it. Ideally into somewhere ridiculous.

We did move a car in such fashion - I say we, but I was only like 15 and the lifting was actually done by my brother’s colts rugby side - when an 80s corolla parked in one of the coaches at a game.

About 6 of them lifted the rear of the car (relatively light when it’s a FWD hatchback) and turned it 90 degrees so the coach could get out.

Probably more difficult to do these days with how f**king heavy modern cars are. An 80s corolla is probably around 800-900kg, while a 2018 model is probably pushing 1400kg

___

Juniors
You should see what they do in France... if you're parked in (which happens a lot given how many cars are on the road and how hard it is to find a spot) if someone has parked you in, they'll get in and give the car in front a nudge if they have to so they can squeeze out - they don't care about the other cars bumper bar or anything like that (yes many French people still drive cars with bumper bars).

If your car was boxed in, meaning there is no possible way of getting out, how do you get it the spot in the first place?

A forklift? :p

A storeman at a place I used to work forked a courier van out of the way of the roller door because the courier parked there while delivering something to the unit next door, and had the audacity to tell our storeman to get f**ked when he told him to move it.

___

Juniors
A storeman at a place I used to work forked a courier van out of the way of the roller door because the courier parked there while delivering something to the unit next door, and had the audacity to tell our storeman to get f**ked when he told him to move it.
Forked... you mean forklift? Because a forklift is NOT designed to move a car. It might be able to lift the weight load, however they are NOT designed to move cars. They could easily sway the forklift in one direction causing it to tip - and kill whoever was behind the wheel, not to mention caused damage to the undercarriage. Plus it was a courier van... who knows what delicate items he had in the back that could've fallen/broken not to mention those heavy items that could've made the vans weight look misleading.

Now the courier was in the wrong to block the drive way, but let common sense prevail, how long does it take to make a delivery? 5 minutes? The courier was wrong, but the storeman was just as wrong for handling it the wrong way.

He didn't lift the car off the ground, used extended tynes and dragged the van to one side of the roller door. And yes, I know forklifts are not designed to do that.

Didn't say it was right or safe, it was just something that happened. The storeman was a loose unit.

captain kaos

Juniors
I would have put the tynes through the bodywork. That'll f**k him.