What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Boxing Fans --- Your Top 5 Pound-Pound Ever?

coolsteve

Juniors
well, langford had 244 pro fights,won 44 by decision,98 by knockout,drew 30, lost 23, 1 no contest and 50 no decisions?.great fighter but never won a title.where as floyyd mayweather still undefeated against all comers (except manny).its just too hard to compare fighters from different eras

Amadaca

Juniors
Absolutely not. You could easily make a case for the likes of Sugar Ray Leonard, Joe Louis, Willie Pep and Muhammad Ali just to name a few who are worthy of the top 5.

What a load of deceitful bullshit.

Sam Langford f**king miles ahead of Ali, Louis, & the like.

BDR

First Grade
There's no opinion to it.

Ali doesn't have the CV to be top 5. You guys have me wondering how much you know about Charles, Greb, Langford, Armstrong, Robinson, Leonard (both of them), Pep...Ali is magnificent but no way, no how, no chance does even he warrant top 5.

Sorry, what part of comparing a hypothetical P4P fight between long retired (and in many cases, dead) boxers is fact? :roll:

f**king idiot

royce10

Juniors
Wanted to chime in with my list. But it seems the thread is on the decline. Thanks Amadaca.

Tommy Smith

Referee
What a load of deceitful bullshit.

Sam Langford f**king miles ahead of Ali, Louis, & the like.
LOL Take your head out of your arse. Joe Louis was a God.

You STILL seem to be ignoring Ring Magazine's ratings.

You seriously think you know more about boxing than they do?

Worse poster alive.

Amadaca

Juniors

Worse poster alive.

If you're talking about Ring Mag today its obvious you don't keep up.

You would be laughed off any Boxing site on the planet for citing it. As you would be for nominating Ali or Louis (who I rate ahead of Ali as the best Heavy ever) as top 5 material.

Amadaca

Juniors
Wanted to chime in with my list. But it seems the thread is on the decline. Thanks Amadaca.

Yeah --- because I'm to blame the thread is inundated with guys who know a little about Boxing but not nearly enough to converse with hardcore fans.

Amadaca

Juniors

Worse poster alive.

You didn't even know who Sam Langford was, let alone what he did, before this thread, did you?

Tommy Smith

Referee
Im aware of who Sam Langford is. I've also seen enough footage of him to know that if he ever stepped into a ring with Joe Louis or Muhammad Ali he would have gotten 10 sacks of shit knocked out of him.

That old style fighting doesn't stack up. It's like calling WG Grace the greatest cricketer of all-time FFS.

Tommy Smith

Referee
Btw, i dont mind a good debate on these issues.

But i cant STAND when someone, who starts the f**king thread in the first place asking for debate, then shoots you down for being so inferior and unknowledgeable compared to someone as amazing and divine as himself.

What a KNOB.

BDR

First Grade
If you're talking about Ring Mag today its obvious you don't keep up.

You would be laughed off any Boxing site on the planet for citing it. As you would be for nominating Ali or Louis (who I rate ahead of Ali as the best Heavy ever) as top 5 material.

This is the second time I've seen you say "you'd be laughed out of X if you did Y"

Are you really that arrogant and ignorant? For f**k's sake man, get a grip.

Amadaca

Juniors
It is a pound-for-pound discussion, Sir. What in the world does a straight fight at HW have to do with anything?

P4P lists are constructed on achievements. Langford blows almost every fighter who ever lived away in this regard. Of the few who rival his accomplishments, it is plain as day Ali & Louis aren't among them.

Amadaca

Juniors
This is the second time I've seen you say "you'd be laughed out of X if you did Y"

Are you really that arrogant and ignorant? For f**k's sake man, get a grip.

It isn't about arrogance, its about experience. I know from many Boxing forums that among hardcore fans, quoting present-day Ring Magazine or arguing Ali should be ranked top 5 ever would get you derided (rightly so).

Amadaca

Juniors
Btw, i dont mind a good debate on these issues.

But i cant STAND when someone, who starts the f**king thread in the first place asking for debate, then shoots you down for being so inferior and unknowledgeable compared to someone as amazing and divine as himself.

What a KNOB.

If you're new to Boxing or your knowledge of the past isn't very deep, you should just say so & that should be fine by anyone --- but when people want to throw out ridiculous, indefensible shit like Ray Leonard, Marvin Hagler, Joe Louis & the like deserve to be considered in the top 5 fighters ever & hang onto their view like a staffy with a chew toy, that is on them --- no one else.

BDR

First Grade
:roll: I included Hagler and Leonard on a list of fighters I have SEEN WITH MY OWN EYES. Do you actually read the posts or just start foaming at the mouth the second someone disagrees with you?

It seems to me like you started this thread so you can have a wank over your "knowledge of the past". Everyone has heard of Langford and Greb you numpty, however because you haven't SEEN them, how could you possibly say they were the best ever with such conviction? It's ridiculous, and the way you're carrying on like your opinion is fact is the height of arrogance.

Bert Sugar had Louis in his top 5, you know more than he did?

Amadaca

Juniors
Holy f**k, Bert Sugar? Wow. This guy is known to real Boxing fans as having been an outrageously incompetent & irresponsible fool. You couldn't pick a less credible historian --- literally.

It is obvious from the sources you use you have some interest in Boxing but not nearly enough. You're probably going to quote Ferdie Pacheco next :lol:

I remember the days when I used to post on Boxrec. The caning you would get from these sources would be brutal, mate.

Tommy Smith

Referee
Haha this guy just gets worse and worse.

"Im so f**king amazing...i just know s much about boxing...you guys would be laughed at!"

The fact that Sam Langford fought against and beat "world class" fighters from lightweight to heavyweight proves how semi-professional boxing was back then.

Can you imagine Pernell Whitaker taking on Mike Tyson in their primes? He'd get crushed, and yet Whitaker was a genius. Even Sugar Ray or Hagler would have got annihalated by Tyson or Holmes. And yet Harry Greb beat te best heavyweights of the day in Gene Tunney.

Greb would get pounded into the dirt by someone like Tyson or Holmes as a comparison in the modern era.

I'd still put Greb top 5 of all-time but the fact that he was able to compete and beat the eras top heavyweights shows where boxing was at back then.

Mong

Post Whore
Did you used to post at the Aussie boxing forums that clenshaws Nader and a few other local fighters along with tools like Sevsek and Co Andrew?