What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Boyd Cordner Announces his Retirement Effective Immediately

Source: https://www.roosters.com.au/news/2021/06/14/boyd-cordner-announces-his-retirement/

Boyd Cordner Announces his Retirement​

Author: Sydney Roosters Timestamp: Mon 14 Jun 2021, 09:20 AM
Sydney Roosters captain Boyd Cordner has today announced his immediate retirement from Rugby League.
29-year-old Cordner retires having achieved success at every level of the game.

He skippered the Roosters to back-to-back Premierships in 2018 and 2019 and won his first of three Premierships with the Club in 2013.

“This hasn’t been an easy decision for me to come to, but it’s the right one,” said Cordner.
“I’ve had some time to reflect on my career and I hang up the boots a very proud man. I’m so lucky to have had the opportunities I’ve had over the years, and to do it all at a Club like the Sydney Roosters means the world to me.
“I was a 16-year-old kid from Old Bar when I moved down to join the Roosters and never in my wildest dreams did I imagine I’d get to be a part of so many amazing moments.
“I wouldn’t be the man I am today without the Roosters and Rugby League. So many people have played an important role in helping me in my career throughout the years, and I just want to say thanks to them all, right back to my junior club, the Old Bar Pirates.
“Here at the Roosters, I’ve gone from a boy to a man, and I’d like to thank everyone involved with the Club, from our receptionist to the Board of Directors. I’d especially like to thank our Chairman Nick Politis. Nick, thanks for all your support over the years, the Club is so lucky to have you.
At any level of the game, I’m sure that every player who ever stood alongside Boyd would thank him for being the teammate and leader that he was.
Trent Robinson Sydney Roosters Head Coach
“I also want to make special mention of Trent Robinson. Trent, I’m so fortunate to have been coached by you for pretty much my whole career. You made me a better player and a better man. To Craig Fitzgibbon, Travis Touma and all the other coaching and performance staff here at the Roosters, I can’t thank you enough either.
“To all my teammates over the years, there have been some special moments and I’m grateful to every single player I got to run out with over the years.

“To the coaches I’ve worked with in rep footy, especially Brad Fittler and Mal Meninga, my sincerest thanks to you too.
“To the boys here at the Roosters, it’s been an honour to play alongside you and to be your captain.
“Most importantly, to my family, especially my partner Jemma and my dad Chris. You’ve always been there for me, been in my corner, and I’ll never be able to thank you enough for what you’ve done for me over the years,” said Cordner.
Sydney Roosters Chairman, Nick Politis AM, said: “Boyd should be very proud of all his achievements throughout his career.
“Boyd’s name will always be synonymous with the Sydney Roosters, and on behalf of the Board of Directors, I would like to thank Boyd for his wonderful leadership and contribution to the Club.
I’ve had some time to reflect on my career and I hang up the boots a very proud man. I’m so lucky to have had the opportunities I’ve had over the years, and to do it all at a Club like the Sydney Roosters means the world to me.
Boyd Cordner Sydney Rooster #1119
Sydney Roosters head coach Trent Robinson lauded Cordner’s leadership and selflessness both on and off the field.
“Boyd is one of the greatest leaders of men I have seen,” said Robinson.
“At any level of the game, I’m sure that every player who ever stood alongside Boyd would thank him for being the teammate and leader that he was.
“Boyd has been an incredible player and leader for the Roosters and I’ve loved coaching him. Boyd is a man of conviction, and his achievements over the years, not only at Club level, but also in the representative arena, reflect the highly-respected man that he is,” he added.
Player number 1119, Cordner made his NRL debut in Round 13 of the 2011 season and made 181 top grade appearances for the Club.
In the representative arena, Cordner played 20 Tests for Australia (2013-2019) and was a member of two World Cup-winning squads (2013, 2017). He was named Kangaroos’ captain in 2018.
Cordner made 16 appearances for New South Wales between 2013-2020, winning three series (2014, 2018, 2019), two of those as captain (2018-2019).

zxc;'lzsx'c;lsx'c;l

Valheru

Coach
I finally watched the press conference, gee it was tough to watch at times. The bloke very clearly wanted to play again but just couldn't bring himself to take the risk of another concussion.

Boyd has done it all though and was a tremendous leader. 3 time premiership winner (2 as captain), 2 time winning captain of NSW, captain of Australia and a RLWC winner as the only try scorer in the final.

Bets of luck in the future Cords and I hope you stay involved with the club.

I would also like to say how proud I am of the club in the way they have handled this. It is not easy having large chunks of your cap on the sideline but there are more important thinks than footy and they have done the right thing by the players. Robbo and Nick have built a super power of a rugby league club in the last 10 years and that was evident yesterday. When Boyd was asked what his career highlight was, he didn't mention any of the accolades I outlined above, he simply said "to be known as a rooster".

While this is most disappointing, I am not at all surprised. His health and well-being need to be at the top of his list of future priorities. He will be sorely missed. I hope that he stays at our club in some capacity. Going on what I have heard and seen, I think he will.

Boyd, you are a club great and part of our Roosters family! All the very best to you. You are a man that everyone associated with us can be proud of.