What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brandon Morkos - young star, bright future

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Brandon has been selected in the Australian Schoolboys Merit team for 2021.

A member of the Steelers SG Ball team (along with Sloan, Amone, Coric and Sherab to name a few) that made the GF. Also was added to the JF squad. Plays centre. He is in negotiations for a long term deal with the Dragons.

Another name on the list is Ryan Couchman who I don't know much about, but the boys on the RedV Podcast, say he is a robust edge forward come prop.

A couple of names to look forward to.

Gaygo

Juniors

A member of the Steelers SG Ball team (along with Sloan, Amone, Coric and Sherab to name a few) that made the GF. TAlso was added to the JF squad. Plays centre. He is in negotiations for a long term deal with the Dragons.

Another name on the list is Ryan Couchman who I don't know much about, but the boys on the RedV Podcast, say he is a robust edge forward come prop.

Our nursery is amounts the strongest in the comp and it is important that we nurture our juniors for they are our future. Great to read that we continue to have our junior’s continually filling positions in our national team. Thanks for sharing Dragonslayer..

denis preston

First Grade

A member of the Steelers SG Ball team (along with Sloan, Amone, Coric and Sherab to name a few) that made the GF. Also was added to the JF squad. Plays centre. He is in negotiations for a long term deal with the Dragons.

Thanks DS. One question. We have witnessed over the past couple of years players that come to first grade lacking some basic fundamentals. In your opinion , what is the standard of coaching like for these players at Flegg/Matthews & ball level ? At least compared to Melbourne, Roosters & Broncos squads.

Another prospect from the Class of '19.

For nearly 50 years, the Australian Schoolboys have been synonymous with excellence in schools’ rugby league.
The players chosen for the 2021 side are from all over Australia.

No they aren't. All boys are from the Eastern Seaboard states of NSW and QLD. Not even a Victorian player.,. and how long has Melbourne had a NRL side.. let alone one from WA which has a thriving RL community and bases a team in one of the NSWJRL comps. It is patently obvious the ARL has no plans to make rugby league a national game otherwise they'd have added at least one boy each from VIC and WA.

Last edited:

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Thanks DS. One question. We have witnessed over the past couple of years players that come to first grade lacking some basic fundamentals. In your opinion , what is the standard of coaching like for these players at Flegg/Matthews & ball level ? At least compared to Melbourne, Roosters & Broncos squads.

Good question Dp and imo has many answers.
1. I think defense is an issue that stems back to even school rugby league. The focus on not 'getting hurt' which parents are very aware of. You only need to look at the scores in HM and to a lesser extent SGB to see the effects of that. Missed tackles acceptable as long as you score more tries than the other team.
2. As coaching its a tough call, but if you review the season ladder in both HM and SGB, Illawarra almost always play finals whereas the StG side rarely do. This doesn't mean the StG c9aches are bad, it can come down to the cattle produced from the schools.
"Win at all cost, even if defense is lost!"
3. The 'best' go to JF where we've have success in making finals.

I think our developing Centre of Excellence will go along way in preparing, not only our youngsters but our junior coaches as well. And, I hope it extends to sports coaches in schools.

so there could be token participation from other states.
So all kids in the above clubs across two states will have their dream smashed if they aspire to pulling on the Australian Kangaroo jumper. And why are the WA Pirates bothering to base a team in the SGB Cup if not to push for a WA team in the NRL.. a plan they have had for at least the last decade. Why should there not be participation from WA and VIC in National schoolboy and other sides. Last time I looked the initials NRL head both the VRL and WARL brand.

Last edited:

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade

That’s great to hear. Hopefully after his experience at Penrith Hook can build that bridge between juniors and FG that has been neglected so long.

jak

Bench
1. I think defense is an issue that stems back to even school rugby league. The focus on not 'getting hurt' which parents are very aware of. You only need to look at the scores in HM and to a lesser extent SGB to see the effects of that. Missed tackles acceptable as long as you score more tries than the other team.
2. As coaching its a tough call, but if you review the season ladder in both HM and SGB, Illawarra almost always play finals whereas the StG side rarely do. This doesn't mean the StG c9aches are bad, it can come down to the cattle produced from the schools.

I think our developing Centre of Excellence will go along way in preparing, not only our youngsters but our junior coaches as well. And, I hope it extends to sports coaches in schools.
great analysis mate. my post of the week

redandwhite4evr

Juniors

Thanks DS- your post prompted me to research Brandon and it seems he has quite the rep pedigree- (City and NSW)-prior to this ultimate honour.

Now that it appears that Schiller has been lost, he is the gun left centre we may need to turn to at some stage next year depending on how negotiations with Suli progress.

It was also interesting to see the number of players from Currumbin in the team- the Gold Coast obviously know how to grow a local player- keeping them if the new Brisbane team is a starter may be the problem.

George Dragon

Juniors
Great kid Brad unfortunately came along at the time we have Zac Twins and Ramsey.
Same as with Schiller.
Unfortunately neither will be at the club next year. They may both end up in the ACT.
We have a younger centre James Walsh 17 who is next in line.
He is more robust aggressive type Schouppy mould.

qld redvee

Juniors
Great kid Brad unfortunately came along at the time we have Zac Twins and Ramsey.
Same as with Schiller.
Unfortunately neither will be at the club next year. They may both end up in the ACT.
Once again thanks for the info george . greatly appreciated keep it coming

be55

Juniors
Was disappointed when Aaron left...on the handful of times I've seen him play i rated him highly and thought he played very well in the SG Ball Grand final (except when he nearly knocked himself out celebrating that final try) Always rated him...not surprised at all to see him playing well at Canterbury...Good to hear someone in his mould is coming up behind him 👍

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
Same as with Schiller.
Is that Walsh who played Matt’s for the Steelers this year? If so he is only 16, not 17 until next year.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member

I wouId say the schools have pretty much nothing to do with producing juniors in the Illawarra. It’s the junior clubs.

Also watch a local junior 16’s game or 18’s, the kids definitely go pretty hard defensively. I reckon the lack of defence at the junior level is more a fitness/concentration/size issue.

Last edited:

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
Another prospect from the Class of '19.

For nearly 50 years, the Australian Schoolboys have been synonymous with excellence in schools’ rugby league.
The players chosen for the 2021 side are from all over Australia.

No they aren't. All boys are from the Eastern Seaboard states of NSW and QLD. Not even a Victorian player.,. and how long has Melbourne had a NRL side.. let alone one from WA which has a thriving RL community and bases a team in one of the NSWJRL comps. It is patently obvious the ARL has no plans to make rugby league a national game otherwise they'd have added at least one boy each from VIC and WA.
Morkos wasn’t part of the 19’s class. He was in Matt’s (only 16)

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
I posted in here a while back Morko’s looked promising. Not sure why the club didn’t have him signed up (he was always playing up a year in junior reps)

redandwhite4evr

Juniors
Same as with Schiller.
Thanks George- don't know how to feel about all that- we're struggling for a quality left centre at present and Morkos selection in the Australian team after what sounded like a pretty exhaustive process sounded really promising. But if you're saying that we have as good already in the Feagai twins and potentially in young Walsh, I won't be as disappointed about losing both Morkos and Schiller.

Latest posts