What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brandon Smith - Podcast

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Not a precedent... how long you followed league 12 months.
I remember a couple players off the top of my head being paraded around in opposing team gear with a year to run on contracts. Mundine , Wing come to mind before this year.
I'm not talking about Kikau. I'm talking about Smith.

No, I can't remember another time that another person publicly stated that they are in love with another club and can see themselves winning a premiership with them, when they still have a year to run on their contract with their current club.

I've just read more of the transcript of the podcast and honestly, the guy is a moron. I don't even know which part to address first in terms of the evidence he is a complete munter. The coke thing wasn't even a glimmer of a wake-up call. 100% would not want him at the Warriors now, we've seen a lot less loose than him completely go off the rails here and I have no doubt he'd be the same

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
I really liked him before he went onto a podcast to talk about his dream of winning a premiership for one of our biggest rivals, just 2 months after being caught snorting cocaine.
Yep, 100% this.

It's not as simple as saying 'oh oh you said you love characters and hate it when league players speak in cliches, but then the Cheese speaks his mind and you have a problem with it. Make your mind up.'

No.

I'm sweet as with the piss-up stories. Not massively enamoured with talking about how Finucane drunk a bottle of vodka in 30 minutes. I'm OK with speaking highly of the Roosters. Far from OK with him saying he'd want to win a premiership with them, when nothing has been announced and he's still at the Storm. And I think it's pretty disrespectful calling Craig Bellamy an old f*cker, dropping C bombs etc. I think you're entitled to be better than that as a well-paid professional.

Munted

Bench
Couldnt care less, couldnt give a shit
He's entitled to do whatever he likes with his free agency and it's his right to announce those moves in any which way he chooses
Same reason why people got their panties twisted with Cleary defending his mate on the gram.
Both are free to do as or say as they please, however, things could have been said differently and at a better time.

Let's wait for his next interview in 2025 when he talks about Russell Crowe ringing him from the set of Gladiator 5 to check how he is while hes shooting hoops with Sam Burgess and Craig Wing in Madison Square Garden, froffing over the prospect of winning a premiership in a Bunnies jersey.

Munted

Bench
Babble.

If he had signed with the Dolphins (or the Warriors for that matter), and said "I'd love to win a comp in this jersey", would there have been the same fan reaction?
It would be more sensible if he signed with the Dolphins, and if he had half a brain he could be more coherent and say something to the effect of "...really excited to join a new franchise, work from the ground up and be apart of something special like winning a comp"

mxlegend99

Referee
NRL are looking at fining him.... for swearing... apparently

lol
Why not?

They fined Cleary and Crichton for disrespectful photos taken with the premiership trophy. After finding out they didn't break it the NRL found a different reason to punish them.

They fined Tedesco for remarks he denied making and can't be proven that he did.

They fined Munster and Smith for a video in which they allegedly had drugs present and denied that they remembered what was in the bags (likely story, but that's irrelevant) and in not being able to prove it was drugs, the NRL just punished them for it anyway and used the good old bringing the game into disrepute so they can punish anyone, for anything regardless of what they can actually prove.

This is just some of the more recent stuff from the finals series and beyond. The second the media blows something up, the NRL swoop in issuing fines. It's getting out of hand though. They're truly only being punished because the media blow these stories up and put a negative spin on it.

YoungPanther

Juniors
I like the bit where he says they play cards for money and the ATO will be after him soon he has won that much. What will he say after he meets Uncle Nick on the golf course??

Valheru

Coach
Why not?

They fined Cleary and Crichton for disrespectful photos taken with the premiership trophy. After finding out they didn't break it the NRL found a different reason to punish them.

They fined Tedesco for remarks he denied making and can't be proven that he did.

They fined Munster and Smith for a video in which they allegedly had drugs present and denied that they remembered what was in the bags (likely story, but that's irrelevant) and in not being able to prove it was drugs, the NRL just punished them for it anyway and used the good old bringing the game into disrepute so they can punish anyone, for anything regardless of what they can actually prove.

This is just some of the more recent stuff from the finals series and beyond. The second the media blows something up, the NRL swoop in issuing fines. It's getting out of hand though. They're truly only being punished because the media blow these stories up and put a negative spin on it.
Completely agree

The NRL are gutless and have a long record of issuing a punishment purely based on the negative media attention it gets. You are better of breaking the law because then it is a criminal matter and the NRL just hide behind the "This is a legal matter and we will not comment further until due process has run its course"

Surely being fined for swearing on a low grade podcast would have to take the cake though.

SLRBRONCOS

Referee
I really liked him before he went onto a podcast to talk about his dream of winning a premiership for one of our biggest rivals, just 2 months after being caught snorting cocaine.
Yep. He has decended into the abyss that is Munster like ‘merkinry

mxlegend99

Referee
Completely agree

The NRL are gutless and have a long record of issuing a punishment purely based on the negative media attention it gets. You are better of breaking the law because then it is a criminal matter and the NRL just hide behind the "This is a legal matter and we will not comment further until due process has run its course"

Surely being fined for swearing on a low grade podcast would have to take the cake though.
Didn't they fine Toby Rudolph for making a joke about going to the pub and having a thousand beers trying to pick up? No swearing or anything. Just a bit of a joke.

These punishments often put more of a spotlight on incidents that would have otherwise slid under the radar because of how nothing they were, and they then encourage the media to keep blowing these nothing stories up to get a result out of the NRL.

Knight76

Juniors
Why not?

They fined <snip>

Yes, all true.

I don't think the cheese needs to be fined by the NRL. He is going to get enough punishment over this just by having a talking to be the storm.

As for Roosters fans playing the victim card just lol. If this were any player, jumping on a podcast and blurting out the rubbish this crettin did, saying how he can see himself winning a premiership in that clubs main rivals colors, whilst still having not announced he has even signed with them, and still a year to go on his contract, and talks about the pisshead culture of the club, and alludes to drug use as "that other stuff", after being caught in video with bags of "some stuff", then yes, I think we would all have the same reaction.

The fact it is a melbourne player talking about the roosters just makes it sweeter!

Meanwhile the Storm categorically reject the notion there is a drinking culture there, wasn't Munster, a senior player just came out of rehab for drinking, and their captain, just google Jesse Bromwich drunk lol.

Last edited:

JamesRustle

First Grade
I like the bit where he says they play cards for money and the ATO will be after him soon he has won that much. What will he say after he meets Uncle Nick on the golf course??
I suppose he'll say thanks for the round, I can't believe you didn't make the longest drive and scoop the pool, even after I shanked my shot and that mate of yours we played with is a legend. Who was he again? The tax commissioner or something.

Apey

Staff member
Fining him for swearing is rubbish.

Just like his total non-apology.

Fufu Andronez

First Grade
I listened to the podcast and then read the articles. If you listen to the podcast and think he is saying any of that shit maliciously or purposely to disrespect the Storm, then you are kidding yourself. He is just answering all the questions put in front of him. He also said some very nice things about the Storm organisation and Bellamy and players as well that didn't get as much air time in the print media as the drinking stories.

If anything, the interviewer is prodding him for personal stories of his team mates and asking about getting on the piss etc, Smith just obliges and answers with no filter which is naïve of him.

I wouldn't really want him at my club, but not because of the articles today, because I don't reckon he is as good as everyone says and what it would cost to get him.

And separate to all of the above, it has now become the typical Fox hatchet job of "bring this guy down" where they bombard the site with endless sensationalist articles.

Latest posts