What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Breaking News - Ponting quits as captain!

yobbo84

First Grade
Ponting quits as Tassie captain
AUSTRALIA captain Ricky Ponting has announced he will hand over the leadership of Tasmania to vice-captain Daniel Marsh.
Marsh captained Tasmania to the Pura Cup final last summer while Ponting was in West Indies for the World Cup.
Ponting will play under Marsh's leadership for the first time for the Tigers in Sunday's Ford Ranger Cup one-day game against NSW at North Sydney Oval.
Ponting, who yesterday led Australia to a 2-0 series sweep over Sri Lanka in Hobart, said leading Tasmania had been a great honour but it was the right time for Marsh to captain the team on a permanent basis.
The move is largely a formality as Ponting plays little interstate cricket due to his commitments with the national team.
Ponting admitted that, because he rarely gets to play for Tasmania, he had struggled with day-to-day knowledge of opponents and their tactics in the domestic competitions.
"We want to make sure that Tasmanian cricket continues to flourish under talented leadership,'' Ponting said.
"Continuity of leadership is central to the the success of any team and I've been working with the leadership group at the TCA (Tasmanian Cricket Association) for some time to plan for the ongoing success of the Tigers.
"I'm delighted for Dan and that is a view shared by the entire playing group.''
AAP

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,22796156-23212,00.html

Sorry, just felt like entertaining myself.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
its not as though he plays much for Tassie anyway

He's lived in Sydney for ages

PARRA_FAN

Coach
when was the last time he captained Tasmania?

I mean does Gilchrist captain WA when he plays for them?

Spike

First Grade
He captained Tassie in their Pura Cup game against I think South Australia a couple of weeks ago. But yeah, he lucky to play one game a season for them.

gunning_for_panthers said:
yobbo, there is no need to give people a heart attack!

why? he is a useless captain. his tactics have been "glenn you have next over" and "shane what do you think i should do?"

NK Arsenal

Juniors
Tonearm Terrorwrist said:
why? he is a useless captain. his tactics have been "glenn you have next over" and "shane what do you think i should do?"

if he is a useless captain then how come he has captained australia to 14 test match victories in a row?

BWNB

First Grade
gunning_for_panthers said:
if he is a useless captain then how come he has captained australia to 14 test match victories in a row?

Alot have to do with what he has at his disposal, not his tactics...

NK Arsenal

Juniors
Mr. Fahrenheit said:
The pimple on my arse could captain it to 14 victories.

And yet some people like to credit Steve Waugh's because of the 16 wins in a row and the West Indian side from 1983-85 for their 12 in a row?

Mr. Fahrenheit

Referee
Captaincy in cricket isn't measured neccessarily by success, look at Fleming, he is arguably one of the best captains of the modern era... but then some nutters like you would come back and say "NZ are so sh*t, how can they have a good captain :roll:"

[furrycat]

Coach
Mr. Fahrenheit said:
Have you seen the team Australia is blessed with? The pimple on my arse could captain it to 14 victories.

Yeah and one of those men is Ricky Ponting who inspires the players and consistently gets the runs.

He makes good bowling changes and excellent with the field placings. Hes easily the best choice for captain...

... Who in gods name else would you use?

[furrycat]

Coach
Mr. Fahrenheit said:
Captaincy in cricket isn't measured neccessarily by success, look at Fleming, he is arguably one of the best captains of the modern era... but then some nutters like you would come back and say "NZ are so sh*t, how can they have a good captain :roll:"

Its a pretty good indicator of how you are handling the team though...

You can have a team filled with talent, but if they arent under someones inspiring hand, its just raw talent with no direction.

Mr. Fahrenheit

Referee
your'e right, direction is necessary. However i think Ponting isn't the greatest captain we have had in a while, but having said that apart from Gilchrist who has a great workload already, i can't think of anyone else to fill in the captaincy role (Hussey maybe?)

You asked why i think he is a bad captain? His attitude in general, for a Captain to act pissed off at being given out stumped (20/20) despite it clearly showing he was out... and to outwardly show that emotion rubs off on the whole team. His sour grapes in the Ashes over a sub fielder etc, i just don't think his character is necessarily the best to lead our national team. On top of that his bowling changes are questionable, but that is a subjective thing, everyone would do things differently... my major issue is with his attitude towards the game and it's authorities.

His personal performance has been gun, i never questioned that.

[furrycat]

Coach
Mr. Fahrenheit said:
your'e right, direction is necessary. However i think Ponting isn't the greatest captain we have had in a while, but having said that apart from Gilchrist who has a great workload already, i can't think of anyone else to fill in the captaincy role (Hussey maybe?)

You asked why i think he is a bad captain? His attitude in general, for a Captain to act pissed off at being given out stumped (20/20) despite it clearly showing he was out... and to outwardly show that emotion rubs off on the whole team. His sour grapes in the Ashes over a sub fielder etc, i just don't think his character is necessarily the best to lead our national team. On top of that his bowling changes are questionable, but that is a subjective thing, everyone would do things differently... my major issue is with his attitude towards the game and it's authorities.

His personal performance has been gun, i never questioned that.

So hes a terrible captain for showing some passion in sport? You won't find a captain in international cricket that hasn't had a dummy spit at some time or another. He has a good cricket brain, but he is human. I dont think there is anything wrong with him showing emotion in the game because imo its his character and shows his passion in the game. And as I said, theres no one else close to replacing him- Gilly is a great bloke and player, but he is a woeful captain.

Mr. Fahrenheit

Referee
What's your rationale for GIlly being woeful? IMO ponting's 'passion' reeks of arrogance (and im not alone in thinking this, but again its JMO)