What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Breaking News

dazza

Staff member
i just heard on tv 3 news, here in nz, that richard villasanti has been released by the warriors, to play for the sharks.

i assume this would be to replace ben ross?

what do you guys think?

cheers dazza

Breadman

Juniors
I think its very good...We definately needed another experienced prop for the rest of the year and when he's in form he's a bloody good player.
Someone a few weeks back was saying we lack mongrel...well here it is

The Nulla

Juniors
Heard the whispers today. Warriors need to unload due to their much publicised cap probs.

I think its ok. The Sharks will be a breath of fresh air for Villa the Gorilla.

As Steve said, if he is on minimum wage and puts in the hard yards it shouldn't be a problem.

Adds that little extra.

dazza

Staff member
the legend killer said:
is this guna be confermed

as i said, it was on the news here, so it`s as confirmed as you want it to be.

there will probably be some sort of statement made tommorrow, i`d assume.

although he was adamant after the cap scandal, when the warriors wanted to release him then, that he wasn`t going anywhere. i guess we`ll just have to wait & see.

gonna be strange when the sharks play the warriors later this year. playing for 2 different teams in the same season, in the same comp :?

cheers dazza

newman

First Grade
Guess its ok news.On the one hand, hes an international, but hes form cant have been too stellar of recent times (I havent seen a warriors game since we played them in Perth last year.)

tye

Juniors
I guess it wont hurt to have him in the ranks, he has played for Australia.

givmeabeer

Juniors
Off NZ Site

VODAFONE WARRIORS RELEASE VILLASANTI TO CRONULLA SHARKS

Prop Richard Villasanti was today released by the Vodafone Warriors after agreeing terms to join fellow National Rugby League club Cronulla.
The 25-year-old 2003 Kangaroo was sought by the Sharks after their off-season recruit Ben Ross had his 2006 campaign ended by a serious knee injury last Friday night.
Villasanti leaves for Sydney immediately and is expected to be considered by the Sharks for their ninth-round match against the St George Illawarra Dragons on Sunday.
“Richard and the club had agreed this would be his last year with the Vodafone Warriors. This offer gives him the chance to play first-grade football this season and to possibly secure a long-term contract,” said Vodafone Warriors CEO Wayne Scurrah.
“It also allows him to move his family back to Sydney which he had indicated he wanted to do.”
Scurrah said the club and Villasanti had unsuccessfully explored opportunities for a release earlier this season after the Vodafone Warriors had been penalised for salary cap breaches.
“Richard has given the club great service since arriving in 2001 and we wish him all the best for the future,” said Scurrah.
Villasanti, who is in his sixth season with the Vodafone Warriors, has made a total of 109 first-grade appearances, 96 of them for the Auckland club after arriving from Wests Tigers. He was the first Vodafone Warrior to play for Australia when selected to face the Kiwis at North Harbour Stadium in 2003.

Frenzy.

Post Whore
Well of course it's good news. We have a dearth of experienced props. He has International experience and can be a deadly runner inside 20. He's also got the ability to bring off some BIG hits. I hope he gets to have a run while Dykes is still halfback

dazza

Staff member
givmeabeer said:
Off NZ Site

VODAFONE WARRIORS RELEASE VILLASANTI TO CRONULLA SHARKS

Prop Richard Villasanti was today released by the Vodafone Warriors after agreeing terms to join fellow National Rugby League club Cronulla.
The 25-year-old 2003 Kangaroo was sought by the Sharks after their off-season recruit Ben Ross had his 2006 campaign ended by a serious knee injury last Friday night.
Villasanti leaves for Sydney immediately and is expected to be considered by the Sharks for their ninth-round match against the St George Illawarra Dragons on Sunday.
“Richard and the club had agreed this would be his last year with the Vodafone Warriors. This offer gives him the chance to play first-grade football this season and to possibly secure a long-term contract,” said Vodafone Warriors CEO Wayne Scurrah.
“It also allows him to move his family back to Sydney which he had indicated he wanted to do.”
Scurrah said the club and Villasanti had unsuccessfully explored opportunities for a release earlier this season after the Vodafone Warriors had been penalised for salary cap breaches.
“Richard has given the club great service since arriving in 2001 and we wish him all the best for the future,” said Scurrah.
Villasanti, who is in his sixth season with the Vodafone Warriors, has made a total of 109 first-grade appearances, 96 of them for the Auckland club after arriving from Wests Tigers. He was the first Vodafone Warrior to play for Australia when selected to face the Kiwis at North Harbour Stadium in 2003.

hah, ya beat me to it, mate. do ya rekon he`ll get a run this weekend?

cheers dazza

Jo Ryan

Juniors
Not a bad move at the moment. But it doesn't give much incentive to the younger Props we already have. Seems who cares as long as we win, that's the way it is these days its all about winning. Who did he play for before the Warriors? Hope not just a Warriors off load.

givmeabeer

Juniors
haha sorry dude, I think if he plays he'll come off the bench but this does add some size to our pack.. Benny Ross is hard to replace but I think its a great move by the club..

jc155776

Coach
Good Buy I say. We need mongrel and experience and now we have it. He is an ex-aussie player and in my opinion the general poor and inconsistent play from the Warriors team in general has seen his own game suffer.

Should be interesting to see how this pans out. He is only 25 too, so thats a good thing...

beekershark

Bench
Super Buy, and we get a nchance to have a look at him to decide if he aims up and is worth throwing a a year or two contract at him after this year.

probably not a bad option at such short notice.

Well, I hope he's sorted some of his 'issues' out. I'm not really a fan of the bloke after what he did to Fittler in the GF. It's also a lomg time since he played rep footy. His form can't be all that great if he can't get a gig in first at the Warriors, at least form the bench.

Iafeta

Referee
Sheros los Deros said:
probably not a bad option at such short notice.

Well, I hope he's sorted some of his 'issues' out. I'm not really a fan of the bloke after what he did to Fittler in the GF. It's also a lomg time since he played rep footy. His form can't be all that great if he can't get a gig in first at the Warriors, at least form the bench.

He had a certain S Price and R Wiki in front of him at the Warriors. No shame not starting in the Warriors front row.

Wish him all the best - shame to see him go in these circumstances. Nice enough fella, the wife thought he was awesome off the field. Last time we saw the team they spent a fair bit of time talking together.

beekershark said:
I love him for what he did to fittler in the GF. More of that please !

I thought it a low, spineless act. Didn't do the Warriors much good did it? Seemed to fire them up. and I wanted the Warriors to win that GF.