What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Breaking News

Macca

Coach
From www.sharks.com.au

VILLASANTI SIGNS WITH THE SHARKS
04.05.06 10:11 Age: 5 min

In a bid to bolster their ranks after the long-term injury suffered by Ben Ross, the Sharks have signed international front rower Richard Villasanti for the remainder of the 2006 season.
Best remembered for a stellar 2003 season which resulted in his selection in the Australian test team and then subsequently for the Tri Nations squad, Villasanti has enjoyed limited opportunities with the New Zealand Warriors during the early part of the 2006 season.

With big-name signings Steve Price and Ruben Wiki starting in the front row for the Warriors, Villasanti has spent most of the year in the local Bartercard Cup competition. The Warriors have released him from the final year of his contract.
“I’ve got a bit of a point to prove, I’m thankful to Cronulla for giving me the chance to return to Australia,” Villasanti said. “It’s worked out really well for everyone.
“After six years at the Warriors it feels like I’m ready to revamp my career. I can’t wait.”
The 25-year-old arrives in Australia on Friday and is expected to train with the Sharks Premier league team on Saturday morning before turning out in that grade against St George Illawarra on Sunday.
Sharks CEO Greg Pierce was confident his club had acquired a quality player.
“He’s already got over 100 games under his belt so we see him as the right tyre of fit for us,” Pierce said. “You don’t get to play for Australia in the front row unless you’re a very good player.”
Soon after coming to terms with the loss of Ross, Sharks coach Stuart Raper welcomes the addition of Villasanti to his forward pack and expects the aggressive front rower to be pushing for a first grade berth over the next couple of weeks.
“Ben Ross was a big loss for us and while we have some good, capable back ups, you can never have enough front rowers,” Raper said. “Villasanti is an ex-international and he’s hungry and looking for an opportunity.”
Results of scans during the week confirmed Ross’s worst fears, with a cruciate ligament tear set to see Ross out of action for six to nine months. He was forced from the field early in the match against Penrith last Friday night.
“I did the same thing with the other knee a couple of years ago so I knew what it was straight away,” Ross said.
Ironically, on Friday, the day Villasanti lands in Sydney to begin his career at the Sharks, Ross will undergo surgery on his injured knee.

gunnamatta bay

Referee
I was in the club foyer this morning picking up tickets. Villa was there getting shown round. He is a big unit and very fit looking.