What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bred Not Bought, Inside Canterbury's Halves Academy

Iamback

Coach
Gus's vision for Penrith was a side with Moylan, DWZ, Cartwright, Blake, RCG, Mansour, Latu etc. It was only when they pissed all them off they started to see some success.

As for 'fixing the pathways' as mentioned the Panthers junior league is 3 times the size of the Dogs. I hate when people say Wests should 'just copy the panthers.' Penriths juniors dwarf ours, cronullas is bigger then wests FFS. Its like saying Australia should just copy the USA Olympics system and we'd win as many medals as they do.

Imagine if a club that takes in the growth area of Campbelltown and surrounds put their CoE in that area instead.

The tigers issues are their own doing not following a proven system

Iamback

Coach
did you not read my second paragraph? 😂

The Wests Tigers logo appears on the Group 6 website, As does Wests Leagues as a sponsor. So you have that area too

So you have group 6
Campbelltown

Those 2 are growing like crazy as houses and the airport are built
Inner West.

How many years have games been sold to Tamworth?

So that area could of been taken in as Sharks have done with Port Macquarie.

Being on the outskirts of Sydney was a huge advantage for the Tigers but they chose drinking latte's with the inner west folk then building for the future

soc123_au

Staff member
Gus's vision for Penrith was a side with Moylan, DWZ, Cartwright, Blake, RCG, Mansour, Latu etc. It was only when they pissed all them off they started to see some success.

As for 'fixing the pathways' as mentioned the Panthers junior league is 3 times the size of the Dogs. I hate when people say Wests should 'just copy the panthers.' Penriths juniors dwarf ours, cronullas is bigger then wests FFS. Its like saying Australia should just copy the USA Olympics system and we'd win as many medals as they do.
I would have thought Campbelltown would be pretty decent? Or at least have potential, there is a shit load of young families in what were not so long ago cow paddocks and a race track pissing distance from Campbeltown.

Decent kids dont really seem your problem though, hanging on to them is more the issue. If the scab clubs sort their shit out and stop picking the eyes out of you then there is a real chance of a decent Tigers locally developed side. Having the CoE near the kids would from the outside make a shitload more sense than Concord though. No doubt there were other factors at play in that decision, without knowing or to be fair caring that much it's an easy target for a lol or 2 though.

Iamback

Coach
I would have thought Campbelltown would be pretty decent? Or at least have potential, there is a shit load of young families in what were not so long ago cow paddocks and a race track pissing distance from Campbeltown.

Decent kids dont really seem your problem though, hanging on to them is more the issue. If the scab clubs sort their shit out and stop picking the eyes out of you then there is a real chance of a decent Tigers locally developed side. Having the CoE near the kids would from the outside make a shitload more sense than Concord though. No doubt there were other factors at play in that decision, without knowing or to be fair caring that much it's an easy target for a lol or 2 though.

You'd think areas like Oran Park will build up which will make that decision even more stupid as the years go by

Penrith now has teams in Schofields, Pitt Town and a few other former cow paddocks.

mxlegend99

Referee
This is the true halves academy.

Send halves to us and we will turn them into NRL players. Sean O'Sullivan and Jack Cogger improved massively. Brad Schneider looks like the next player on that list.

To a lesser extent you could include Matt Burton too. Though he hasn't really kicked on as a half. Ivan nailed it in throwing him at left centre.

Vic Mackey

Referee
The Wests Tigers logo appears on the Group 6 website, As does Wests Leagues as a sponsor. So you have that area too

So you have group 6
Campbelltown

Those 2 are growing like crazy as houses and the airport are built
Inner West.

How many years have games been sold to Tamworth?

So that area could of been taken in as Sharks have done with Port Macquarie.

Being on the outskirts of Sydney was a huge advantage for the Tigers but they chose drinking latte's with the inner west folk then building for the future

Let me preface this by saying that no one bags the club more than me. However the wests thing is the biggest myth in rugby league. Even with the Greater MacArthur area the numbers are still nowhere near a Penrith or Parra, they were published a couple of years back and they were smaller than the Sutherland Shire League.

Once the wests comp reaches u15s they have to join with Canterbury just to make a comp. Penrith for instance have 4 divisions in u15s. How the hell can you compare to that?!?

You do know that the COE was built and paid for by the Canada Bay Council? We couldnt pick and choose where it was put. No club has $75m to spend on a training centre.

FWIW I have no issue with the club choosing to base itself in Campbelltown, however the council also have to play their part. The council charges the club more to play at the ground more then any other ground in the game. They need to sell approx 15,000 tickets to break even in a ground that only holds about 20k. If they proposed a COE I have zero doubt the club would have moved there.

The 'letting good players go' is also now a bit of a myth, we havent let a single player go since 2017 who would have improved the team.

Last edited:

Iamback

Coach
Let me preface this by saying that no one bags the club more than me. However the wests thing is the biggest myth in rugby league. Even with the Greater MacArthur area the numbers are still nowhere near a Penrith or Parra, they were published a couple of years back and they were smaller than the Sutherland Shire League.

Once the wests comp reaches u15s they have to join with Canterbury just to make a comp. Penrith for instance have 4 divisions in u15s. How the hell can you compare to that?!?

You do know that the COE was built and paid for by the Canada Bay Council? We couldnt pick and choose where it was put. No club has $75m to spend on a training centre.

FWIW I have no issue with the club choosing to base itself in Campbelltown, however the council also have to play their part. The council charges the club more to play at the ground more then any other ground in the game. They need to sell approx 15,000 tickets to break even in a ground that only holds about 20k. If they proposed a COE I have zero doubt the club would have moved there.

The 'letting good players go' is also now a bit of a myth, we havent let a single player go since 2017 who would have improved the team.

This article from this year says 5000 in the Macarthur Region.

That is more than Sharks, Manly or Dogs without the ones around Leichhardt

Attachments

• IMG_2221.png
    IMG_2221.png
    409.7 KB · Views: 5

Iamback

Coach

Feb this year, Campbelltown is getting facilities built.

The A League team would be moving games if they had that same deal, So WT I doubt went very hard for a better deal for the area

Attachments

• IMG_2220.png
    IMG_2220.png
    185.5 KB · Views: 4

Vic Mackey

Referee
This article from this year says 5000 in the Macarthur Region.

That is more than Sharks, Manly or Dogs without the ones around Leichhardt

That’s a good improve (keep in mind I believe it includes female number) however it’s still only about 55% of the size of Penriths base.

Vic Mackey

Referee
Feb this year, Campbelltown is getting facilities built.

The A League team would be moving games if they had that same deal, So WT I doubt went very hard for a better deal for the area
Well yeah exactly, they approved it this year. Will probably take another 4-5 years before it’s completed and ready for use. What are we meant to do til then?

FWIW I think we actually similar thoughts, and I’m not disagreeing with the premise of what you’re saying.

it’s more the line of ‘why don’t you just copy Penrith?’ that I disagree with as it gets trotted out all the time and is so simplistic. It’s basically rugby leagues version of ‘stop getting avocado on toast and you’ll be able to buy a house’

Also IM probably being a but sensitive about it as the article is another DT hit piece on us about losing this 'gun junior' whilst ignoring the fact that the halfback who smoked him in the recent Aust School Boys Carnival, got picked at 7 over him in the Oz side (was also captain) Lachlin Galvin is a Wests Junior and signed to the club for 4 years.

Last edited:

Black Panther

Juniors
Well yeah exactly, they approved it this year. Will probably take another 4-5 years before it’s completed and ready for use. What are we meant to do til then?

FWIW I think we actually similar thoughts, and I’m not disagreeing with the premise of what you’re saying.

it’s more the line of ‘why don’t you just copy Penrith?’ that I disagree with as it gets trotted out all the time and is so simplistic. It’s basically rugby leagues version of ‘stop getting avocado on toast and you’ll be able to buy a house’

Also IM probably being a but sensitive about it as the article is another DT hit piece on us about losing this 'gun junior' whilst ignoring the fact that the halfback who smoked him in the recent Aust School Boys Carnival, got picked at 7 over him in the Oz side (was also captain) Lachlin Galvin is a Wests Junior and signed to the club for 4 years.
If Galvin wants to learn the game, he should’ve signed with a better club.