What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brent Webb for Origin 5/8th?

Marty

Juniors
For Mine Brent Webb would be a bolter but would handle the step up. When ever he plays agaisnt the Broncoes he always has a blinder. I imagine that playing for the Maroons would also bring out the best in him. It would be great for him and the warriors as he would come out a much better player.

"Maroons selector Des Morris would not rule out the possibility of an Origin recall for Ikin, who played five-eighth for Queensland in last year's series, but he said either Chris Flannery, Travis Norton or Brent Webb was a more likely replacement for Lockyer in that position.

Morris said the selectors would also pay particular attention to the form of Wests Tigers playmaker Scott Prince, North Queensland's Nathan Fien and Brisbane's Brett Seymour during the next two weekends, with a view to finding a new halfback.

"We've been watching them anyway, we didn't name them in the squad because we didn't want to single either of them out for any extra attention at this stage," he said.

Of the three five-eighth candidates other than Ikin, who made his Origin debut as a 17-year-old in 1995 and has appeared in 16 matches since, none wear the No.6 jersey on a regular basis for their clubs - although Norton started the season in the position for the Cowboys.

"Brent Webb has played there for the Warriors in the past and the Roosters are talking about Chris Flannery being their five-eighth when Brad Fittler retires next season, so I don't think we'd have any worries with any of them," Morris said."

Full Article follows

Ikin answers call as injury crisis deepens
By Brad Walter
May 8, 2004

Page Tools
Email to a friend Printer format
Former Test five-eighth Ben Ikin will make a surprise NRL comeback for Brisbane in their away match against Canberra tomorrow after Queensland's Origin crisis deepened with the loss of Shaun Berrigan.

Ikin, who changed his retirement plans at the end of last season to play Queensland Cup for Toowoomba, answered an SOS from his father-in-law, Broncos coach Wayne Bennett, after Berrigan tore his hamstring in a training mishap.

Berrigan joins brother Barry (neck) and teammates Darren Lockyer (ribs), Shane Webcke (back), Petero Civoniceva (knee) and Bradley Meyers (neck) on the club's injured list. Officials said yesterday that Berrigan would be sidelined for a minimum of two weeks - putting him in doubt for Origin I on May 26.

With Lockyer already ruled out because of broken ribs, Maroons selectors have until Monday week to find an alternative halves pairing as well as a new captain.

Although he has been playing in the centres this season, Berrigan was the only player with any halfback experience chosen in the 22-man Queensland squad that went into camp in Brisbane this week.

Already the squad has been reduced to 19, with Lockyer out and Sydney Roosters winger Chris Walker being stood down after being arrested last Monday morning, and doubts also exist about the fitness of Webcke, Civoniceva and Meyers.

Maroons selector Des Morris would not rule out the possibility of an Origin recall for Ikin, who played five-eighth for Queensland in last year's series, but he said either Chris Flannery, Travis Norton or Brent Webb was a more likely replacement for Lockyer in that position.

Morris said the selectors would also pay particular attention to the form of Wests Tigers playmaker Scott Prince, North Queensland's Nathan Fien and Brisbane's Brett Seymour during the next two weekends, with a view to finding a new halfback.

"We've been watching them anyway, we didn't name them in the squad because we didn't want to single either of them out for any extra attention at this stage," he said.

Of the three five-eighth candidates other than Ikin, who made his Origin debut as a 17-year-old in 1995 and has appeared in 16 matches since, none wear the No.6 jersey on a regular basis for their clubs - although Norton started the season in the position for the Cowboys.

"Brent Webb has played there for the Warriors in the past and the Roosters are talking about Chris Flannery being their five-eighth when Brad Fittler retires next season, so I don't think we'd have any worries with any of them," Morris said.

Asked about the captaincy job, Morris suggested either Bulldogs prop Steve Price or Norton, who was installed in place of Paul Bowman as North Queensland skipper three weeks ago.

Morris also nominated Melbourne second-rower Kirk Reynoldson as a possible Origin bolter, adding selectors would monitor the form of former Maroons forward Carl Webb, who will make his first NRL appearance of the season for Brisbane tomorrow.

Webb, 23, represented Queensland in 2001 and 2002 but was told by Bennett at the end of last season that he had no future at the Broncos and has been playing alongside Ikin at the Toowoomba Clydesdales.

Hooker Michael Ryan, an Origin contender two years ago, has also been called up from the Queensland Cup to play against the Raiders.

Bennett will decide today whether to start Ikin at five-eighth, with Casey McGuire moving to the centres, or promote winger Stuart Kelly and play him from the interchange bench.

NZ Warrior

First Grade
I don't know whether Webb's done enough to make SOO I, but here's hoping he can crack it during the series. It's great to see his name in the mix. I also think he will be a lot better for it.

Geez, if Dezolt makes a good go of Hooker, we could have another potential Origin bolter on our hands. They seem like they're in a crisis at the moment.

ozbash

Referee
Brent Webb for Origin 5/8th? :roll: :roll: :roll:

god give me strength #-o

Tigertread

Juniors
BrentWebb'sno.1fan said:
Bowen isn't a 5/8.

IMO Flannery from the roosters will get it. or Scotty Prince
Bowen has played five-eight for most of his football career. He was only switched to fullback at the Cowboys to see how he could handle it.

AliN

Live Update Team
I thought Bowen was one of the better players for the Cowboys last night.

Tigertread said:
BrentWebb'sno.1fan said:
Bowen isn't a 5/8.

Bowen has played five-eight for most of his football career. He was only switched to fullback at the Cowboys to see how he could handle it.

THen why don't the cowboys play him at 5/8, surely Myles isn't a better 5/8 than bowen :?

Tigertread

Juniors
BrentWebb'sno.1fan said:
Tigertread said:
BrentWebb'sno.1fan said:
Bowen isn't a 5/8.

THen why don't the cowboys play him at 5/8, surely Myles isn't a better 5/8 than bowen :?
Well just maybe because he is a better option at fullback, and Myles does a good job for the Cowboys at five-eight, otherwise Norton would be playing 5/8.
If you watch the Cowboys play often enough you will see Bowen always playing close to the ruck in attack.

Rudolph

Juniors
One think that made me laugh was something the commentator said.
"Brent Webb is one of the top kick returner in the game. Team's must be sweating when the ball is kicked to him" :lol: :lol:

Iafeta

Referee
Exactly Rudolph. Some of the things they say on Fox it makes me wonder if they even watch the game. I saw the Storm/Sharks game and Wayne Pierce was going on about how the Storm were incredibly unlucky last week and were the better pack but just a couple of bounces went against them as well as refereeing decisions.

This from the bloke who was continuing to rabbit on about how the Sea Eagles should feel proud of their effort when they were 28-4 down against us.

He is a tool of a commentator. Absolute num skull.

Brent Webb SHOULD NOT be even close to an Origin jumper on last nights effort. He couldn't catch malaria off a mosquitoe. He's lucky there's no other genuine full back options at the Warriors anymore or else he'd be spending a week or two in Bartercard relearning how to catch a ball.

dazza

Staff member
BrentWebb'sno.1fan said:
Bowen isn't a 5/8.

neither is brent webb!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i nearly choked when they said he was one of the top kick returners.

iafeta, what about henry? what has he done wrong?? imo, he would be a better option at fullback.

cheers dazza

I never said webb was a 5/8 if u read what i said it didn't say anything about webb being a 5/8. i clearly said that IMO it will be between Flannery and Scotty Prince ;-)

As for the fullback position at the Warriors, Toshio Laiseni plays fullback, Clinton after debuting in the Second Row moved to fullback successfully. Marto can play there, Murph has played there in the past. If Jerome wasn't injured he is equally at home at fullback as he is at 5/8. And you also have the option of playing Henz in the no.1 jersey.

carlnz

Bench
Brent should worry about making the warriors first grade side before even thinking about rep honours