What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brett Horsnell v Parramatta PDRLC

Gronk

Staff member
'Men of League saved my life'
Fri 22 Jul, 2016, 12:00pm
By Tony Webeck, Chief Queensland Correspondent‌‌, ‌‌‌NRL.com
@TonyWebeck
EMAIL
PRINT

image.ashx

Brett Horsnell during his time at the Parramatta Eels. Credit: Chris Kapetanellis. Copyright: NRL Photos.
Having played 154 games in the top grade across 10 seasons Brett Horsnell knew the significance of the Men of League organisation when it was formed in 2002 and wasted no time in becoming member No.531.

But even when he was at his lowest ebb Horsnell could not bring himself to put his hand out and ask for help, and it almost cost him his life.

The first Queenslander to ever captain the Australian Schoolboys team in 1988, life after football has not been kind to Horsnell who has been beset by medical problems on top of breakdowns in his personal life.

He will be a special guest at the Gold Coast Old Boys luncheon at Parkwood International on Friday as part of Men of League Heritage Round where he will reconnect with former Giants and Seagulls teammates, many of whom he hasn't seen in at least a decade.

The truth of the matter is that he is lucky to be here at all, a friend who noticed his Men of League keyring providing enough encouragement for Horsnell to ask for the financial and emotional help he so desperately needed.

"I thought about taking my own life and it took a friend of mine to see my Men of League keyring and asked me what it was. I explained it to them and she helped me fill out the form," Horsnell recalled.

"I didn't want to, it went against everything that a man thinks of himself but it saved my life.

"I was too proud, I felt embarrassed but it was the best thing I ever did.

"I've been struggling for several years with the injury and I'm on a disability pension now for my back and there are other medical issues that we're working through at the moment that the Men of League have funded.

"Players these days are earning plenty of money but you just never know what life is going to throw at you.

"Things come along that you just don't expect and if you need help, ask for it."

A Gold Coast junior, Horsnell's first grade career started with the Giants in the then New South Wales Rugby League competition in 1989 where he played 82 games before joining the South Queensland Crushers in 1995.

The sizeable contract he was on at the Crushers was whittled away as the club neared bankruptcy and as the Super League war raged Horsnell signed to play under Brian Smith at Parramatta in 1997.

The back injury that troubles him to this day prevented a move to Bradford in England in 1999 and more bad luck was to follow. As he was preparing to captain-coach Runaway Bay on a contract of $30,000 and a job behind the bar, Horsnell received a late offer to have a final season with the Gold Coast Chargers.

He was offered a contract of $120,000 but as his manager tried to negotiate a better deal the club folded and he was left with nothing as other contracted players received full payouts.

"In the end I would have been able to do both!" he lamented.

To date Men of League have helped to fund an $80,000 revolutionary back operation with acclaimed surgeon Dr Matthew Scott-Young along with other medical expenses and there is an upcoming eye operation which they will also contribute to the cost of.

But more than the money, Horsnell said that the greatest gift Men of League president Ian Amos and welfare officers such as Bob Honan had given him was a connection again with the rugby league community.

Throughout his struggles the former Giant, Seagull, Crusher and Eel shut himself off from the game and the people within before those involved with Men of League intervened.

"The Men of League have really pulled me out of the house and got me back on my feet a little bit emotionally," Horsnell told NRL.com.

"I'd love to thank Benny Ross, Ian Amos and Bobby Honan and the rest of the guys on the Gold Coast who I go and have coffee with pretty regularly."

Horsnell last attended a Gold Coast Old Boys function when the Titans were formed back in 2007 and is not only looking forward to swapping some old stories on Friday but also helping to form the guard of honour when the Titans run out onto Cbus Super Stadium on Saturday evening.

"If you asked me that a month ago I don't really think I could have but now I'd love to," Horsnell said when asked whether he would be part of the guard of honour. "If that's what's going to happen, absolutely.

"I've just been having a real hard time so to catch up with some of the old boys that are probably going to get a shock that I'm there is going to be fabulous.

"I made a lot of good mates when I played footy and you can not see them for 10 years and you pick up where you left off from the day before."

https://www.nrl.com/men-of-league-saved-my-life/tabid/10874/newsid/99427/default.aspx

Gronk

Staff member
Old 2004 thread about Brett Horsnell.

http://forums.leagueunlimited.com/threads/brett-horsnell.87358/

This guy must have played for Parra before I started supporting the club because i've never heard of him, but according to the Sun Herald the former Gold Coast, South Qld, and Parramatta back rower has been diagnosed with a brain tumour is struggling to come up with the funds for treatment. Just like to wish him and his family best wishes through this troubling time.

for those of you who were 2 young to remember Brett "the Horse" Horsnell was a whole hearted clubman in the season or 2 he spent with us. He gave is all in whatever grade he played.

Yes he did play at the game against the Crushers and actually scored the last try of the game.

All the best Brett hope you get that op ASAP.

Gronk

Staff member
mol-logo.png

Former Gold Coast, Brisbane Crushers and Parramatta Eels Rugby League player Brett Horsnell was overwhelmed by a visit from the Gold Coast Men of League Foundation Welfare Officers Greg Sylvester, Bobby Honan, Greg Rousell and former Australian International David Waite.

Since his retirement in 1998 Brett has had to endure several serious medical problems. In 2002 he had to have surgery on his back, then in 2004 he was diagnosed with a brain tumour, whilst at present he is undergoing a series of tests to determine if he has multiple sclerosis.

Brett represented Queensland in Under 16’s in 1985, and Captained the Australian Schoolboys tour to New Zealand in 1988. He made his first grade debut in the ARL with the Gold Coast Giants as a lock forward in 1989. Brett remained with the Giants/Seagulls until the end of season 1994, when he was then signed by the South Queensland Crushers for two years. In 1997 he transferred to Parramatta where he played in every position in the scrum, including hooker. Upon his retirement in 1988 Brett had played 154 first grade games in the ARL/NRL.

Before leaving the Welfare Officers presented Brett with a Men of League cap which he would treasure, as one of his enjoyments is collecting caps.

https://www.menofleague.com/welfare/1062-visit-to-brett-horsnell

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Saw an interview with Ronny Coote, what a champion of a bloke he is, they do fantastic work.

Hopefully the Horse is on the mend, I remember him being a wholehearted performer for us.

Gronk

Staff member
Saw an interview with Ronny Coote, what a champion of a bloke he is, they do fantastic work.

Hopefully the Horse is on the mend, I remember him being a wholehearted performer for us.

Sad news indeed. Did you pick up that he is suing us ?

Gronk

Staff member
So Gronk, why is he suing us?

Anyone know?

I can only assume that it's a concussion / head injury case. Perhaps asserting that we failed in our duty of care which resulted in him getting a brain tumor ?

Chipmunk

Coach
It will be interesting to see if a 10 year veteran of the sport of rugby league at the first grade level can prove that the club he spent only two years with was the cause of all of his issues.

emjaycee

Coach
It will be interesting to see if a 10 year veteran of the sport of rugby league at the first grade level can prove that the club he spent only two years with was the cause of all of his issues.
Not trying to minimise the issues Horsnell is experiencing in his life, however:
While the harmful effects of repeated concussions, especially among teens and young adults, have been well documented, any links between concussions and brain cancer are less clear.

Multiple studies have endeavored to see if such links exist. Some have found an association between head trauma and meningioma, a tumor that forms in the membranes covering the brain and spinal cord, although others, including a recent one, found no such connection. Nor has a connection been found between head trauma and glioma, a type of cancer that arises in the supportive tissue of the brain.

A long-term study from 1974 tracked nearly 3,000 people who had suffered a head injury to see if they were more likely than the general population to develop an intracranial (inside the skull) tumor. The study authors found no increased incidence of brain tumors within this group. While the researchers couldn’t rule out the possibility that head trauma plays a role in the development of some brain tumors, they concluded that any increased risk would be extremely small.
- Source: http://blog.dana-farber.org/insight/2016/11/do-concussions-increase-the-risk-of-brain-tumors/

IFR33K

Coach
It's sad and unfortunate he isn't in the best of health, but wow. Suing after 20 years, while he played the bulk of his career elsewhere???

Isn't there a window where someone can sue? Hasn't it closed?

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Why is he specifically suing us when he played most of his career elsewhere?
Fair call, think it would be pretty hard to prove it all happened at the Eels.

I suppose good luck getting any money out of the Seagulls, Giants and Crushers.........

Gronk

Staff member
It's sad and unfortunate he isn't in the best of health, but wow. Suing after 20 years, while he played the bulk of his career elsewhere???

Isn't there a window where someone can sue? Hasn't it closed?

There are plenty of personal injury lawyers who will take cases on "no win, no fee".

Statute of limitations is complicated but IIRC you are entitled to make a claim once an injury has manifested itself. Then once that date is determined you have 3 years to make a claim.

So on the basis that ^^ reports say he had a brain tumour a decade + ago, perhaps he is now suing for a separate concussion issue ?