What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brett Horsnell v Parramatta PDRLC

Gronk

Staff member
By directors, i assume we mean board .... surely there wouldnt be a snowballs chance of winning that??? ... board members dont make much $s from it and have roughly zero say in game situations (like whether you play with a head knock)

Yeah but most directors in that situation would have office bearers insurance. This type of insurance covers non profits and i assume that a football club like parra would fit the definition.

Depends on the structure back then.

El Diablo

Post Whore
Pretty sure the structure was ... Fitzy rules the roost - puppets fill the board
this is what the link in Gronk's post says

Parramatta greats could face legal action
  • The Australian
  • 12:00AM July 21, 2017
  • Brent Read
    8a2fbfa2e92a609cfd30a16a25de7e5a
Lawyers acting for ex-Parramatta player Brett Horsnell could launch legal action against the club’s former directors, among them some of the biggest names in Eels’ history.

Horsnell has commenced legal action in the NSW Supreme Court over claims his health problems in retirement stem from a series of head knocks over the course of his decade-long career.

His legal team has pinpointed more than 50 incidents during his time at Parramatta, the Gold Coast and South Queensland which they believe could have impacted on his existing health problems.

The parties were in court again earlier this week as Horsnell’s lawyers pushed ahead with attempts to identify the Eels’ insurers during the period when he played for the club. Having failed to make any headway, it is understood they will now investigate the option of taking legal action against the individual directors of the Parramatta District Rugby League Club, which was in charge of the NRL side when Horsnell was at the Eels. That body is now in the hands of liquidators, with the NRL side under the umbrella of the Parramatta Leagues Club. When the Parramatta District Rugby League Club was wound up, their directors included club icons Ray Price and Eric Grothe as well as former chairman Steve Sharp.

It is unclear whether the lawyers would target the club’s final directors or those who were at the helm when Horsnell spent two years at the Eels.

They could potentially pursue both sets of directors as they attempt to gain some clarity around the club’s insurance details. It is understood Certus Legal Group have identified a series of incidents which could have contributed to Horsnell’s health problems — a Gold Coast neurologist has confirmed he is almost certainty suffering from chronic traumatic encephalopathy, the degenerative brain disease that led to a billion-dollar class action against the NFL in the US.

The Australian has obtained video of at least six head knocks Hornsell suffered during his time at the Gold Coast, South Queensland and Parramatta.

The incidents, which can be seen on Lawyers acting for ex-Parramatta player Brett Horsnell could launch legal action against the club’s former directors The Australian website, vary in magnitude but all would likely be considered game-ending concussions in modern rugby league.

Chipmunk

Coach
I'd say he'll still struggle to provide sufficient evidence that the club he played two out of 10 seasons, was the entity most responsible for his issues.

I'd suggest if he's looking for insurers that the ARL/NRL would have provided the insurance at the time.

Bazal

Post Whore
I wonder if the numbers would be highest in the NFL (as compared to other contact sports)? Contact is so much more fierce and a helmet doesn't really protect you from concussion...

Between footy and cricket I've taken quite a flew blows to the head (can you tell...?). It's a worry for anyone who has ever played tbh.

El Diablo

Post Whore
Concussion with Will Smith is a good movie worth watching all about CTE and the NFL

the difference between the NRL and NFL is the NFL knew about CTE and buried it so that's why they were sued

CTE was first diagnosed in 2002 so the NRL had no knowledge of it when Horsnell was playing so that's why i'd give him f**k all chance of winning

The NFL knew about it before then though http://deadspin.com/a-timeline-of-concussion-science-and-nfl-denial-1222395754

phantom eel

First Grade
The irony level of Ray Price (of all people) being sued for head knocks suffered by someone else is quite high...

Gronk

Staff member
'I don't need the drama': Former Eels forward drops concussion case
Former Parramatta forward Brett Horsnell started action in the Supreme Court against his club in May 2017, becoming only the second player to do so after former Newcastle winger James McManus. The case was expected to be widened to include the NRL, but the plans have been aborted.

I didn’t want to do legal action in the first place, I just wanted some assistance because now I’m stuck on disability,” Horsnell told the Sun-Herald.

“I’m not disappointed because I didn’t want to do legal action and all the shit that went with it. I’m 50 years old, I don’t want the drama, I’ve had my time in the sun.

“The reason I did it in the first place, which was three years ago when we started it, was because concussion laws hadn’t changed much by then.

“It was more for future players, that was my main point. But they’ve started to change the rules. They are aware of it and that’s fair enough.

“I’m on the NDIS and a few things like that. I’m OK, I’m happy. I’m not disappointed because I didn’t want legal action really, it was more to highlight the fact that ex-players were getting treated like shit and forgotten about.”

Horsnell made 154 first-grade appearances for the Gold Coast Giants, South Queensland Crushers and the Eels from 1989 to 1998. The 50-year-old believes he suffered about 50 concussions throughout his career, most of them significant enough to warrant a break from the game. His legal team was set to argue that he was made to return to the fray in a breach of the club’s duty of care to him.

However, Horsnell has opted against pursuing the matter.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/i-...rd-drops-concussion-case-20200530-p54xxj.html
https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/i-...rd-drops-concussion-case-20200530-p54xxj.html

Latest posts