What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

News Brett Morris retires

Sydney Roosters | June 7 2021 12:40PM

Sydney Roosters winger Brett Morris has today announced his immediate retirement from rugby league.

In career-best form, Morris' 2021 season was cut short by an ACL injury, sustained in the final moments of the Roosters' match against the Newcastle Knights in early May.

As he looks to the future, Morris has made the decision that the Round 8 fixture, in which he also captained the Roosters, was his last after 16 seasons of top-grade football.

"Not everybody gets to go out on their own terms, but looking back over my career, I've been incredibly fortunate to have had the opportunities I've had, and I hang up the boots a very proud and content man, knowing that the time is right," said Morris.

"There are many people who have played an important role in helping me in my career throughout the years, and I'd like to extend my thanks to them all, right back to my junior club the Kiama Knights.

"In the NRL, I've been fortunate to be coached by and to play with some of the game's best, and I'm grateful to all the coaches and teammates I've had over the years.

"More recently, it's been an honour to wear the Sydney Roosters jersey and I will always be proud to have captained the side in what was my final match.

Brett's professional approach to his training, playing and recovery is testament to the man he is. He is a man of integrity and has been a great mentor to his teammates, making those around him better, both on and off the field.

Trent Robinson
Sydney Roosters Head Coach

"To Trent and the coaching and performance staff, I found a new lease on life here at the Roosters. Since I first walked through the door in late 2018, I have been challenged every day, but because of that, I've also had some of my most enjoyable memories on and off the footy field.

"To my current teammates, we're a tight group and it was a privilege every time I got to run out with you. To one teammate in particular, it was awesome to be able to start and finish my career with my brother Josh, and the memories we made are some I'll cherish forever.

"Family is incredibly important to me, and I certainly wouldn't have been in the position to enjoy 16 seasons in the NRL without the unwavering support of my mother Karen, my siblings, and most of all, my wife Kate and our children Emily, Ellie and James."

34-year-old Morris retires in fourth position on the list of all-time try scorers and is a two-time Premiership winner (Sydney Roosters 2019, St George Illawarra Dragons 2010).

Morris made his NRL debut with the St George Illawarra Dragons in Round 9 of the 2006 season, amassing 169 games for the Club. He played 68 games for the Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs over four seasons (2015-2018), before linking with the Roosters in 2019 (39 games).

In the representative arena, Morris played 18 Tests for Australia (2009-2014) and made 15 appearances for New South Wales between 2010 and 2017. He also played for the NRL All Stars (2011), NSW Country (2012) and Prime Minister's XVIII (2013).

He also holds the feat of being a two-time World Club Challenge Man of the Match recipient (2012, 2019).

Player 1182, Morris made his Club debut with the Sydney Roosters in the opening round of the 2019 season, scoring seven tries in 15 appearances. He played an instrumental role on the wing in the Roosters' 2019 Grand Final victory and was named in the NRL Team of the Decade spanning 2010-2019.

Morris scored 12 tries in 17 appearances for the Roosters in 2020. Incredibly, he scored 11 tries in just 7 appearances in 2021.

Looking back over my career, I've been incredibly fortunate to have had the opportunities I've had, and I hang up the boots a very proud and content man, knowing that the time is right

Brett Morris
Sydney Rooster #1182

Sydney Roosters Head Coach, Trent Robinson, lauded Morris for his achievements throughout his career.

"The way Brett has gone about playing the game throughout his career is testament to the incredible athlete and character that he is, and it's been a true honour to coach him," said Robinson.

"Brett is one of the best, if not the best, finishers in the history of our game, and it is important we acknowledge his achievements over the years; not only at Club level but also in the representative arena.

"Brett's professional approach to his training, playing and recovery is testament to the man he is. He is a man of integrity and has been a great mentor to his teammates, making those around him better, both on and off the field.

"Fairy tales take shape in different forms, and while Brett didn't get the end to his career he so richly deserved, an exciting new chapter is about to begin for him, and on behalf of the playing group and everyone at the Club, we wish Brett, Kate, Emily, Ellie and James all the very best," he added.

BMoz Highlights package - Dragons-centric admittedly.

Of these, the one brushing past Thaiday in Origin stands out.

And then there's this try, still one of the most spectacular tries of all time in my humble opinion..

Mark B

Juniors
Great player, great career. No doubt in my mind would have beaten the legendary Ken Irvine’s record if luck with his various injuries hand gone the other way.

Last edited:

Fangs

Coach
Outstanding player.

Written off by many in his last year at the Dogs. His form since that time was fantastic. You could argue he was in his prime as a finisher.

Latest posts