What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brian's back in town

BG

Juniors
SMITH REVIVED: Former Parramatta and future Newcastle coach Brian Smith returned to Australia on Monday after six weeks' helping English club Bradford. Bulls coach Steve McNamara said Smith was refreshed by the stint. "The influence he's had on myself and rest of the staff is immeasurable," McNamara told the Yorkshire Post. "He has 26 years of experience as a head coach and we've drawn on it all. He's also taken a lot out of it himself and as much as I'll be a better coach for the last six weeks, I think Brian will be, too. For the first time in a long while he's been doing a job he cares about without any pressure whatsoever and his stay here has allowed him to be the 'good cop' for a change. He's been more laid-back and we've all seen a hitherto hidden side of Brian Smith. Everyone has benefited all round.

http://blogs.smh.com.au/sport/archives/2006/07/joeys_swearing.html

Burwood

Bench
BG said:
For the first time in a long while he's been doing a job he cares about without any pressure whatsoever and his stay here has allowed him to be the 'good cop' for a change. He's been more laid-back and we've all seen a hitherto hidden side of Brian Smith. Everyone has benefited all round.

This is why I think Smith will suit Newcastle- he won't face anywhere near the pressure in his time here compared to Parramatta. Our fan base are 'relatively' easy-going, and I don't think there will be too many people expecting a premiership in the next 3 or so years. Next year will be our best chance of a premiership for some time to come, but even our expectations have been somewhat lowered after seeing what management has done to the club.

I'm looking forward to seeing a more relaxed Brian Smith in his time at Newcastle (something that he hasn't been able to do at his previous club).

Burwood

Bench
Ben said:
Let's just hope he brought some young players back with him.

Do we really need many more young guys? We have plenty of talent in the lower grades already, but the problem we are facing is that we have nobody to replace the crop of first grade players leaving at the end of this year. All we really need are a couple of guys like MacDougall who have experience and will play for a year before making way for the next generation of players when they are better prepared for first grade footy.

chinorocks

Juniors
BG said:
SMITH REVIVED: Former Parramatta and future Newcastle coach Brian Smith returned to Australia on Monday after six weeks' helping English club Bradford. Bulls coach Steve McNamara said Smith was refreshed by the stint. "The influence he's had on myself and rest of the staff is immeasurable," McNamara told the Yorkshire Post. "He has 26 years of experience as a head coach and we've drawn on it all. He's also taken a lot out of it himself and as much as I'll be a better coach for the last six weeks, I think Brian will be, too. For the first time in a long while he's been doing a job he cares about without any pressure whatsoever and his stay here has allowed him to be the 'good cop' for a change. He's been more laid-back and we've all seen a hitherto hidden side of Brian Smith. Everyone has benefited all round.

How did we benefit again??? We lost Quinn, Gidley and Lowrie and replaced them with a 32 year old on match payments...

Nuffy

Bench
I'm with you Mac, we should be competitive every year based on our region, supporter base, community support and juniors.

The last 3-4 years of supercoach have really lowered peoples expectations, my theory on why the crowds are not so boisterous or loud any more is that if things go against us on the field theres a sense of "oh no, here we go again".

After 97 and through to 2002, we'd back ourselves to beat anyone, anywhere and from any position. Now we only win 35% of home games and get run down regularly.

Smith needs to come into this club in November and tear it all down and start again, the Hagan era has damaged this club beyond belief and theres not a lot of the culture worth saving. Our questionable performance off the field for a number of years has added to a belief that just having a team in the NRL is a achievement.

We have the greatest footballer of his generation on the books for another two years and what exactly have we done to capitalise on that, have we given him a team capable of winning the comp? Based on 07/08, the poor bloke and Danny are wasted and we seem content to accept mediocrity.

This club once had a never say die attitude, the "our town, our team, our turf" spirit, where has it gone.

I hope that Smith has spent the time thinking about this issue, because much of what needs to be done is off the training paddock and in the spirit, mind and soul.

Teams like to Bulldogs and Queensland don't have all the best players, they have a ethos and belief that overcomes anything. So did we, I want it back!

Thats what I want and hope Smith brings in November, that and a true belief that we are fiercely competitive EVERY year

rourkster

Juniors
How did you do it Nuffy? How did you manage to sum everything up so well. This is exactly how I feel at every home game. Great post. :clap:

RABK

Referee
Nuffy said:
I'm with you Mac, we should be competitive every year based on our region, supporter base, community support and juniors.

The last 3-4 years of supercoach have really lowered peoples expectations, my theory on why the crowds are not so boisterous or loud any more is that if things go against us on the field theres a sense of "oh no, here we go again".

After 97 and through to 2002, we'd back ourselves to beat anyone, anywhere and from any position. Now we only win 35% of home games and get run down regularly.

Smith needs to come into this club in November and tear it all down and start again, the Hagan era has damaged this club beyond belief and theres not a lot of the culture worth saving. Our questionable performance off the field for a number of years has added to a belief that just having a team in the NRL is a achievement.

We have the greatest footballer of his generation on the books for another two years and what exactly have we done to capitalise on that, have we given him a team capable of winning the comp? Based on 07/08, the poor bloke and Danny are wasted and we seem content to accept mediocrity.

This club once had a never say die attitude, the "our town, our team, our turf" spirit, where has it gone.

I hope that Smith has spent the time thinking about this issue, because much of what needs to be done is off the training paddock and in the spirit, mind and soul.

Teams like to Bulldogs and Queensland don't have all the best players, they have a ethos and belief that overcomes anything. So did we, I want it back!

Thats what I want and hope Smith brings in November, that and a true belief that we are fiercely competitive EVERY year

Well said Nuff Man...

Burwood

Bench
macavity said:
i dunno about the rest of you, but I expect a premiership every year.....
My problem is with people who expect a premiership every year.

My comment was in reference to those fans from rival clubs who think that they have some sort of ownership or right to the premiership trophy, like they are somehow more deserving than the other 14 clubs out there.

Of course I have high expectations for the players, team and club every year, but if we don't win the premiership I am not going to harp on about how we were the most deserving club, how the eventual winners are underserving, or that anything other than the premiership is a failure.

This is the type of supporter base that Smith has been surrounded by in his time at Parramatta, but not what he is going to find at Newcastle.

Latest posts