What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bring back Morts

TheParraboy

Staff member
I think people are being hard at Casey. He was killing it at hooker (his best position for our side IMO) when MK was out for 6 weeks. He was then shifted to the halves whem MK came back and Mortimer wasnt cutting it for the first half of the year, and has been inconsistant there ever since

Use Casey of the bench 10-15 min before the end of each half, replace MK might be the best way to use him.

FANATICAL_EEL

Juniors
I'm a little tired of Casey. His game offers little more than Morts ATM. He is missing too many plays and is not creating options. So IF we are stuck with Morts, then I would think that we're better of putting Casey out to pasture and giving the young colt another run.

Have to agree there. At first when casey was put into the halves against the sharks it was a breath of fresh air but im getting sick of him. I have never been a mortimer fan but even I wouldn't mind giving him a shot. However why not let him play for a trophy in the team he has spent most the year with? At least they still have a chance.

zipzip man

Juniors
Casey Maguire is shit! I've never seen a "halfback" be tackled with ball so much. I hate when he holds the ball and don't pass you can just see the play breakdown.

As for Morts, the few games I've watched of Wenty he has been playing some real good footy... and definitely think him spending time in Res grade has done him good so hopefully he can get back and shut his critics up, coz atleast the kids has a dig not like that shite that was dished up at ANZ on Monday night!!

FANATICAL_EEL

Juniors
Casey Maguire is shit! I've never seen a "halfback" be tackled with ball so much. I hate when he holds the ball and don't pass you can just see the play breakdown.

As for Morts, the few games I've watched of Wenty he has been playing some real good footy... and definitely think him spending time in Res grade has done him good so hopefully he can get back and shut his critics up, coz atleast the kids has a dig not like that shite that was dished up at ANZ on Monday night!!

from memory against the Broncos when O'Hanlon debuted there was at least 4 runs POH made hitting a gap but Maguire went himself to no avail, and another 3 or 4 of other players i can remember.

Wise Old Eel

Juniors
Maguire's a hooker playing half. Mortimer had a shot (a two-year shot at that) and failed. Give Tom Humble a crack. He couldn't do any worse.

WOE

True EEL

Bench
Maguire's a hooker playing half. Mortimer had a shot (a two-year shot at that) and failed. Give Tom Humble a crack. He couldn't do any worse.

WOE

fair enough points.....except at least we know Morts (well, ok at this stage anyway) will be at the club next year and even beyond - Humble may not be??

koal4e

Juniors
I'm a little tired of Casey. His game offers little more than Morts ATM. He is missing too many plays and is not creating options. So IF we are stuck with Morts, then I would think that we're better of putting Casey out to pasture and giving the young colt another run.

Agreed - use Casey as the interchange when Morts is tired and needs a rest as a support mechanism.

True EEL

Bench
do you reckon Morts (or Humble for that matter) will actually be given a shot on Saturday night?? If not, he may as well leave because there is currently NO reason not to play him.....

Eelementary

Post Whore

WOE

fair enough points.....except at least we know Morts (well, ok at this stage anyway) will be at the club next year and even beyond - Humble may not be??

Not only that - Mortimer has been playing good footy for Wenty. Humble hasn't.

True EEL

Bench
well that's a further point towards Morts being given a reprieve tonight, you're right he has been playing good footy....granted its certainly not the same class level, but if he hadn't even been playing well at that level, then yes, brush him - but he deserves a final shot this year IMHO

caylo

Bench
well that's a further point towards Morts being given a reprieve tonight, you're right he has been playing good footy....granted its certainly not the same class level, but if he hadn't even been playing well at that level, then yes, brush him - but he deserves a final shot this year IMHO

Why does he deserve another shot? He struggles in 2010, he struggles in 2011. What will change?

Mortimer may become a good player eventually (i think he will struggle tbh) but if he is to do so he needs to work on his game. His kicking game is woefully inept at NRL and his running game is rarely utilized. Mortimer need intense training on his skills rather to develop them, he is looking good because of quality of fullback in NSW cup but when he comes back it will be the same problem. At the end of the day Mortimer needs to do better then play good footy, he needs to be tearing teams apart like Roberts was doing earlier this year.

CrazyEel

Bench
Why does he deserve another shot? He struggles in 2010, he struggles in 2011. What will change?

Mortimer may become a good player eventually (i think he will struggle tbh) but if he is to do so he needs to work on his game. His kicking game is woefully inept at NRL and his running game is rarely utilized. Mortimer need intense training on his skills rather to develop them, he is looking good because of quality of fullback in NSW cup but when he comes back it will be the same problem. At the end of the day Mortimer needs to do better then play good footy, he needs to be tearing teams apart like Roberts was doing earlier this year.
Agreed, can you imagine the furore that would erupt on here if he was selected. :roll:

If I'm not mistaken the same culprits were also calling for Robbo to be reinstated a few weeks back only to turn on him yet again the very first game he played v panthers. :lol:

True EEL

Bench
Agreed, can you imagine the furore that would erupt on here if he was selected. :roll:

If I'm not mistaken the same culprits were also calling for Robbo to be reinstated a few weeks back only to turn on him yet again the very first game he played v panthers. :lol:

who cares about if there is a furor on here if Morts was selected - the EELS, Rugby League, Life itself FFS are all waaaaayyy bigger than this place for God's sake???

i have supported Robson to the point of futility, both he and Casey have (had) hit the wall big time in recent weeks, so Morts is the logical other option. its not a difficult concept.

CrazyEel

Bench
Who cares about if there is a furore on here if Morts was selected - the Eels, Rugby League, life itself FFS are all waaaaayyy bigger than this place for God's sake???

I have supported Robson to the point of futility, both he and Casey have (had) hit the wall big time in recent weeks, so Morts is the logical other option. Its not a difficult concept.
Seems it is, you want to repeat the same mistake you made in calling for Robbos reinstatement, neither is NRL standard and neither has shown anything to suggest either would be any better than McGuire.

fu·rore

noun
\ˈfyu̇r-ˌȯr, -ər, especially British fyu̇-ˈrȯ-ri\
Definition of FURORE

Examples of FURORE

1. <the store's going-out-of-business sale caused such a furore that security guards had to be called in to restore order>
  2. <baseball fans in a furore as the game stretched to 11 innings>
Origin of FURORE

Italian, from Latin furorFirst Known Use: 1790

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/furore

Last edited:

True EEL

Bench
Seems it is, you want to repeat the same mistake you made in calling for Robbos reinstatement, neither is NRL standard and neither has shown anything to suggest either would be any better than McGuire.

fu·rore

noun
\&#712;fyu&#775;r-&#716;&#559;r, -&#601;r, especially British fyu&#775;-&#712;r&#559;-ri\
Definition of FURORE

Examples of FURORE

1. <the store's going-out-of-business sale caused such a furore that security guards had to be called in to restore order>
  2. <baseball fans in a furore as the game stretched to 11 innings>
Origin of FURORE

Italian, from Latin furorFirst Known Use: 1790

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/furore

so what is your point exactly????.....i don't post on an internet forum to be grammatically correct?! i save that for the real world and business ok, i don't have the time to bother correcting what i type on here or seemingly live my life on this place like you and others seem to....i bolded the text for Furor/Furore to highlight the nonsense point you were making not to be correct - like you seem to live for on here

also, if you believe that Casey is currently first grade standard, then you know less about the game than i thought to date....enjoy the game

ps. just this once i'll make a correction, i think the sloppy way i typed furor is possibly an accepted American form of spelling of the word, most likely taken form Latin as you mentioned, enlighten me if you feel the need?

Last edited:

CrazyEel

Bench
My point is you shouldn't have tried to be a smartarse in trying to correct my spelling, and if you do then at least make sure you get it right.

Yes, I do think Casey is better than either Morts or Robbo and while you have the right to express an opinion on what I know about a game my opinion is your opinions are of no value anyway. Have a nice evening.

TheParraboy

Staff member
after a long day working on saturday, gee its good to put the feet up and read some literature on here before a parra game :D

cureme

Juniors
Well I'm going to join the chant to bring back Morts. I mean, his defence alone is better than the two current halves put together. Not to mention his enthusiasm. I know that doesn't necessarily make him a good footballer, but I think he is what we need ATM.