What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brisbane Bids Club Mascots - ROUND 2 FIGHT!!!

Which is the most Appealing Mascot to represent a 2nd Brisbane club, regardless of location or color

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

flippikat

Bench
Geez talk about a 180 from GRotD
This time last year, he was blasting Melbournes existence and Perth being a nothing expansion all with tv ratings comparisons and re-counting junior participations in both those states, all with quoting how bad channel nine want brisbane expansion over anything else..... did you have a wake up moment or mid life crisis?

It's called being open-minded & rational.

He changed his mind when presented with a compelling, evidence-backed argument. I commend him for that.

MugaB

Coach
It's called being open-minded & rational.

He changed his mind when presented with a compelling, evidence-backed argument. I commend him for that.
I call BS on that, i reckon its someone else whos taking over his account, PR maybe...... tehe

Geez talk about a 180 from GRotD
This time last year, he was blasting Melbournes existence and Perth being a nothing expansion all with tv ratings comparisons and re-counting junior participations in both those states, all with quoting how bad channel nine want brisbane expansion over anything else..... did you have a wake up moment or mid life crisis?
The TV ratings in Melbourne for the GF and SOO convinced me that Melbourne and Perth can provide a commercial return to the game. They may not average much for regular season games, but for the blockbuster events they can add enough viewers to keep us up there with AwFuL and negotiate from a position of strength during broadcast negotiations. The fact there are WA juniors in the NRL despite not having an NRL team shows Perth has potential to increase the player pool. I don't think Melbourne will ever be in a position for a 2nd team and Adelaide is probably 15 to 30 years away from being a realistic option based on the game's track record with regard to expansion. I think Perth will get a 2nd team before Melbourne, but it'll be at least 30 or 40 years from now.

I no longer think Perth will need to be a roaring success on field, like Melbourne, to make a dent in the WA market. Melbourne had to be a run away success due to AwFuL's stranglehold on the city and its people's insecurity, but Western Australians don't have those problems.

flippikat

Bench
I think Perth will get a 2nd team before Melbourne, but it'll be at least 30 or 40 years from now.

The big selling point of a 2nd Perth team is doubling-down on a late TV timeslot. Having two teams in Perth would mean a game could be scheduled over there *every* weekend, and TV is likely to want all games that kick-off in Perth start in their evening.

That's something that a 2nd Melbourne team just doesn't offer.. however before there can be a 2nd Perth team there needs to be a first one :)

The big selling point of a 2nd Perth team is doubling-down on a late TV timeslot. Having two teams in Perth would mean a game could be scheduled over there *every* weekend, and TV is likely to want all games that kick-off in Perth start in their evening.

That's something that a 2nd Melbourne team just doesn't offer.. however before there can be a 2nd Perth team there needs to be a first one :)
The other good thing about a couple of Perth teams playing late is it will allow the NRL to push into the Japanese/SE Asian market, which could be lucrative.

Sydney needs the following clubs.

Penrith Panthers. Covers a region that's far away from the rest of the metropolitan area.

Parramatta Eels. Large fanbase and the city is growing.

South Sydney Rabbitohs. Large fan base and has Sydney in their name, which is important for commercial reasons.

Sydney Roosters. Takes in the CBD and can extend its reach along the North Shore. Sydney is important.

North Sydney Tigers. Has Sydney in its name, keeps the faithful Balmain fans and brings back the Bears fans.

West Sydney Bulldogs. Makes Magpies and Bulldogs stronger and can be based at Macarthur, which will have will give it a better chance of having a boutique built for it as there's an A-League club in the area.

The question is what to do with Cronulla and St George. I think Cronulla have a brighter future and can take in the St George area, Sutherland and Wollongong by changing their name to Southern Sharks or South Coast Sharks.

St George has fans all over the country, so maybe they could relocate to Adelaide.

Manly is too small and isolated. They've never tried to broaden their reach and will be f**ked when the Penns pull up stumps.

So I'd have 7 clubs in Sydney, Dragons in Adelaide, West Coast Pirates take Manly's spot, and Brisbane 2 and 3 are brought in to make it an 18 team competition. RL's 1st and 2nd largest markets in the world have enough teams to combat other sports and provide rivalries that will add money to the game. Every major city is covered. That's a competition that can compete with AwFuL over the next 50 years. In the long term the NRL can give the 19th and 20th licence to the NZ once the Warriors have established themselves and there's enough money and a large enough population to keep 3 teams viable.

MugaB

Coach
Sydney needs the following clubs.

Penrith Panthers. Covers a region that's far away from the rest of the metropolitan area.

Parramatta Eels. Large fanbase and the city is growing.

South Sydney Rabbitohs. Large fan base and has Sydney in their name, which is important for commercial reasons.

Sydney Roosters. Takes in the CBD and can extend its reach along the North Shore. Sydney is important.

North Sydney Tigers. Has Sydney in its name, keeps the faithful Balmain fans and brings back the Bears fans.

West Sydney Bulldogs. Makes Magpies and Bulldogs stronger and can be based at Macarthur, which will have will give it a better chance of having a boutique built for it as there's an A-League club in the area.

The question is what to do with Cronulla and St George. I think Cronulla have a brighter future and can take in the St George area, Sutherland and Wollongong by changing their name to Southern Sharks or South Coast Sharks.

St George has fans all over the country, so maybe they could relocate to Adelaide.

Manly is too small and isolated. They've never tried to broaden their reach and will be f**ked when the Penns pull up stumps.

So I'd have 7 clubs in Sydney, Dragons in Adelaide, West Coast Pirates take Manly's spot, and Brisbane 2 and 3 are brought in to make it an 18 team competition. RL's 1st and 2nd largest markets in the world have enough teams to combat other sports and provide rivalries that will add money to the game. Every major city is covered. That's a competition that can compete with AwFuL over the next 50 years. In the long term the NRL can give the 19th and 20th licence to the NZ once the Warriors have established themselves and there's enough money and a large enough population to keep 3 teams viable.
None of that makes any sense if the current clubs don't agree with any mergers or relocations to make that happen, which is highly unlikely.
For starters forget what you think of cronulla, coz every time theres is a post of recontructing in Sydney theres seems to be a merger with "st merger" with the sharks, you all dont see the vast area cronulla and sutherland shire has with their junior catchments, and its big! The reason they exist in RL in the first place was St George had such good junior crops, they decided to add another team in that same area in '67. Its up there with the west too, so forget about merging cronulla. they are as important as penrith in regards to junior development.

Look at the clubs who dont service any real areas of "Sydney" and then either merge or relocate

Eh em...Roorters

Last edited:
None of that makes any sense if the current clubs agree with any mergers or relocations to make that happen, which is highly unlikely.
For starters forget what you think of cronulla, coz every time theres is a post of recontructing in Sydney theres seems to be a merger with "st merger" with the sharks, you all dont see the vast area cronulla and sutherland shire has with their junior catchments, and its big! The reason they exist in RL in the first place was St George had such good crops, they decided to add another team in that same area in '67. Its up ther with the west too, so forget about merging cronulla., they are as important as penrith in regards to junior development.
Look at the clubs who dont service any real areas of "Sydney" and then either merge or relocate

Eh em...Roorters
I'm suggesting Cronulla take over the St George/Wollongong area, not merge with the Dragons. I'd have the Dragons relocate to Adelaide.

South Coast Sharks
Southern Sydney Sharks
Sutherland-South Coast Sharks

It could be a giant club that rivals Penrith and the Broncos.

Roosters and Sea Eagles could merge. Sydney Sea Eagles, maroon, blue and white.

MugaB

Coach
I'm suggesting Cronulla take over the St George/Wollongong area, not merge with the Dragons. I'd have the Dragons relocate to Adelaide.

South Coast Sharks
Southern Sydney Sharks
Sutherland-South Coast Sharks

It could be a giant club that rivals Penrith and the Broncos.

Roosters and Sea Eagles could merge. Sydney Sea Eagles, maroon, blue and white.
That's still not going to happen, as Cronulla won't be able to service illawarra and the shire, and the Dragons kind of are, if your looking to drop the amount of Sydney teams then a permanent move to WIN stadium for the dragons would work, and a relocation of another to CC, and if your saying that penrith is on the outskirts country that would leave 6 clubs in the metro area.
My preference has always been roorters to CC, or a properly merged Bears and Easts, to be North Sydney Roosters, and share CC and SFS as dual homes, much like Dragons are with Ilawarra and kogarah, This will gain juniors clubs for the roosters, and service central coast, and also service northern suburbs of Sydney

If anyone is more in need of relocations its more likely Manly to Adelaide, but only if the Roosters broaden themselves to service the North, if they stay put as the "city" team, they probably should move to Adelaide instead as they do nothing for the game where they are

Perth Red

Post Whore
Mergers and "Joint ventures" are a proven failure in RL and are very unlikely to ever happen in the NRL again.

thats debatable, whilst they haven’t set the world on fire generally there is a good chance a number of the 4 merger clubs would have gone under by now and not exist at all. You’d need to ask Balmain, St’s and Illawarra fans if they rather be supporting a merger club or watching Nsw cup I suspect.

Firehawks will use orange, yellow and blue.

What if they change the name to Raptors?

View attachment 45717

And here I thought a Raptor was a dinosaur... (or a Ford Ranger with a bodykit)..

Maybe a logo like this?

81HK3cvriDL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

I prefer Dolphins myself. By a mile.

There's no other "dolphins" in mainstream, top level Australian sport. So it's recognisable and unique, and an animal that actually exists in Australian territory.. .

Jets is ok but Newcastle A League are already the Jets. And while that alone isn't such a bug deal - I truly think that Newtown are the "true" Jets. Even though they aren't in the top flight.

Firehawk to me just seems off. Firstly, what is it.... ??

(through research - turns out its a bird that has a capacity to spread bushfires.... so why not just called them "the flying arsonists??). Firehawk sounds like a name better used in the Super Netball comp.

And here I thought a Raptor was a dinosaur... (or a Ford Ranger with a bodykit)..

Maybe a logo like this?

81HK3cvriDL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
Birds are descended from two-legged hollow boned dinosaurs called theropods, which included velociraptor and T-Rex. When the asteroid hit 65 million years ago the sky was covered in ash for a year or 2 and sulphur fell from the sky, wiping out plants and all the large avian dinosaurs and non-avian dinosaurs that were too big to burrow under the ground or survive in the water. Birds had been evolving from avian dinosaurs for about 80 million years before that point, and the carnivorous ones had beaks that could break open nuts buried under ground and scavenged off the dead dinosaurs that lay around them after the asteroid until the sky cleared and plants grew back. Technically, birds are avian dinosaurs.

Birds used those hollow bones to take to the air. Raptors use their talons in the exact same way velociraptor did. Dinosaurs were endothermic like birds and many were feathered, at least on the avian side. Dinosaurs/birds belong to a group known as archosaurs, which includes crocodilians. Although crocodilians are exothermic like monitors, skinks, snakes and geckos, they share more in common with birds, such as a 4 chambered heart and are their closest living relatives. Mangled DNA was retrieved from cartilage of a T-Rex, and showed its closest living relatives are birds followed by crocodilians.

Scientists switched off the gene in a chicken egg that produces beaks, and it developed a head with teeth just like a dinosaur. When they pinned a plunger on the arse end of a chook to simulate a tail then had it run around it moved just like T-rex.

Last edited:

2 x Perth teams = a potentially Super Saturday broadcasting program every weekend during the regular season with 4 games back to back.
Scheduled off Eastern Standard Times
3 pm - game 1
5 pm - game 2
7 pm - game 3
9 pm - game 4 in Perth ( 7pm local time)

Latest posts